Anyone here considering the new GTR?

Are we all on the same page that a G35 is a Skyline? In Japan they're known as the Skyline G350. I'm not gonna say that they will equal the same amounts but they will be commonly seen once sales start picking up.

The G35 is a skyline...the G37 is probably still considered a skyline. The GT-R is not a skyline. Nissan is separating it out as a new platform with it's own code.

Stiff competition from cars like the 911, RS5, Z06 and M3 (to name a few) as well as the 70k price tag will keep this car somewhat rare. Also note, Nissan is not going to produce 40-50k of these a year...so don't expect to even see one for awhile.

Most of the kids that want one can't even afford an EVO or STi...in fact, most people can't afford a $70k car period...let alone the insurance on one. When the EVO first came to the states there was a huge buzz about it...I still don't see them everywhere and they cost half as much.

The G35 is a skyline...the G37 is probably still considered a skyline. The GT-R is not a skyline. Nissan is separating it out as a new platform with it's own code.

Ok, I'm lost..:confused: someone explain to me how the GT-R isn't a skyline when Nissan announced to the whole world that they are bringing the Skyline to North America after the G35 was in production? It may not be called a "skyline" but this is what Nissan implied would be the "Skykine GT-R" which will be the replacement for the GT-R34's in Japan and it is going to be perceived as a skyline to many.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_skyline

Ok, I'm lost..:confused: someone explain to me how the GT-R isn't a skyline when Nissan announced to the whole world that they are bringing the Skyline to North America after the G35 was in production? It may not be called a "skyline" but this is what Nissan implied would be the "Skykine GT-R" which will be the replacement for the GT-R34's in Japan and it is going to be perceived as a skyline to many.

It is confusing, this is my take.

The past Skylines were the same car with various adjustments to make it GTS, GTR, etc. Same car, different types.

The G35 is called the skyline where the skyline was previously sold. It's fair to say it is a skyline.

However, Nissan has explicitly said the GTR will not just be a different version of the current G35/skyline car, it's a seperate entity. While sharing many of the same parts, like all infiniti's/Nissans do to a certain extent, comparing the G35 to the skyline is no different to comparing the 350Z or I'd even go as far as to say the Altima, they are just different cars.

I think it's extremely obvious by looking at the car and going over its features/components this is not a G35 with a little better motor and some factory add-ons. JMO.

On the economics side.. there is no 70k sportscar that has sold anywhere near the volume of the G35 or any car like it. There is no reason to assume this time will be different unless you think a huge glut of new consumers with 70k will be added to the market in proportion to skylines added to the market. There is no reason to suggest current 7 series or S class owners have any relation to GTR sales. If that was the case, those buyers would already be in a 70k sportscar as it's generally accepted there are a fair amount of substitutes for the GTR and although it's very special it still costs 70k and the same number of people before the GTR comes and after the GTR comes will be willing to spend 70k on a sportscar.

I think this is where you are confused. Nissan didn't announce that, but all the auto magazines did.

This new car is called the GT-R. That's it. The GT-R is the replacement for the R-34 Skyline but it is not a Skyline.

The Skyline and GT-R have separated. I believe the G37 and such are still considered Skylines (in Japan and rest of world) while the GTR is has now begun its own lineage.

http://www.gtrnissan.com/

It's very confusing...and I'm not sure why Nissan is doing this..since they seem to use the heritage of the skyline for the new GT-R in all the marketing. I guess they just didn't want people to thing of the G35/37 as a toned down GT-R...

BTW-I will bet you that 90% of people will call the new GT-R a Skyline. :)

The new z06 has been produced in limited quantity so far and isn't going to be massively produced like the GTR which IMO will be produced as much as a G35.

the Z06 is planned at about 25% of annual corvette production. They made ~7000 in '06. Not exactly limited.

The manual trans has me real turned off:wink:

Here is the naming statement taken from gtrnissan.com "Nissan is today also confirming the final name of the car. Previous generations of this car were known as the Skyline GT-R; the new name for this car is simply “Nissan GT-R” in all global markets."

Apparently the weight is in: 3836lbs

Yikes!

I keeping checking to see if it has 4 doors. :redface:

However, Nissan has explicitly said the GTR will not just be a different version of the current G35/skyline car, it's a seperate entity. While sharing many of the same parts, like all infiniti's/Nissans do to a certain extent, comparing the G35 to the skyline is no different to comparing the 350Z or I'd even go as far as to say the Altima, they are just different cars.

From what I remember reading, the GT-R has a different chassis than the G35/37 as well. Different chassis = different car.

Yikes!

No kidding. That's within 100 lbs of what their last generation Q45 weighs. Weight reduction has seemingly never been high on the priority list with Nissan, but the engineering is otherwise superb.

Yikes!

Which is only ~150lbs heavier than the new M3. Nothing to be proud of, but ever since the SL AMG went past the 4400lbs mark cars have been getting fatter and fatter and people seem to care less and less. Once again, the vette remains..

Rumor has it the GT-R has gone mid 7:30's around the ring--at least 5 seconds faster than their target, the 911 Turbo.

Nissan says they're no longer aiming for the 997 Turbo's time around the ring. They're aiming for the Carrera GT's 7:28. Here's to hoping they get it. :)

I heard the rumor...and I'm calling BS.

I hope I'm wrong, but the math doesn't work out. 3836lbs and 450hp? Must have an amazing driver or amazing tires.

However, if I am wrong, I will buy one and it will be my daily driver. Nuff said.

I heard the rumor...and I'm calling BS.

I hope I'm wrong, but the math doesn't work out. 3836lbs and 450hp? Must have an amazing driver or amazing tires.

However, if I am wrong, I will buy one and it will be my daily driver. Nuff said.

I believe the base is 480hp, and the highest model is 530hp. The highest model also has some minor weight reduction to the tune of ~200lbs.

So 450hp 3836.. probably not. 530hp 3600.. maybe. Not sure if it matters but a 660hp SL @ 4400lbs [it's actually a little heavier than that] is proportional to a 540hp 3600lbs GT-R. Add in a little bit better suspension for the track and the general Nissan edge when it comes to making skylines go very fast around a race track.. some very good tires.. plausible but unlikely.

I believe the base is 480hp, and the highest model is 530hp. The highest model also has some minor weight reduction to the tune of ~200lbs.

So 450hp 3836.. probably not. 530hp 3600.. maybe. Not sure if it matters but a 660hp SL @ 4400lbs [it's actually a little heavier than that] is proportional to a 540hp 3600lbs GT-R. Add in a little bit better suspension for the track and the general Nissan edge when it comes to making skylines go very fast around a race track.. some very good tires.. plausible but unlikely.

480 HP with AWD driveline loss...not much left. The high end model you speak of is the V-Spec...and it's not out yet (well, nothing is out yet really), but it IS promising.

Perhaps a V-Spec that weighed 3600lbs and had 530HP could nail some decent times...but I'm still VERY skeptical that they're shooting for a Carrera GT time. Who knows...technology keeps getting better and better...and Nissan is known to have a pretty neat AWD system.

Doesn't the 911 Turbo weigh 3500lbs??

Rumor has it the GT-R has gone mid 7:30's around the ring--at least 5 seconds faster than their target, the 911 Turbo.

Nissan says they're no longer aiming for the 997 Turbo's time around the ring. They're aiming for the Carrera GT's 7:28. Here's to hoping they get it. :)

HAHA!!! That is hilarious. I doubt that it can beat a 997TT. I want to see the official data - not Nissan rumour hype.

HAHA!!! That is hilarious. I doubt that it can beat a 997TT. I want to see the official data - not Nissan rumour hype.

Heh, I don't see why not. After all, they defeated it the last time they set out to do so. :D Plus, 3500 lbs, 480 hp vs 3600 lbs, 530 hp? Shouldn't be too hard of a feat, especially considering that Nissan seems to always have some techie AWD system that defies normal limitations. :D

I too, would like to see official numbers, though, seeing as stopwatches aren't exactly the most accurate ways to attain track times.

I believe it can beat the 997 Turbo... If it has 450-500 hp it's possible. Lotus is tuning the suspension and they are very clear of the aim of killing some 911 Porsches. I think it will for sure set the bar higher for next super-Honda... But I have to admit I wanted to laugh when they said they were aiming for the Carrera GT :eek: However I like how the japanese give us bang-for-the-buck... I'm not a rich guy and probably never be afford to buy a new Ferrari - so I'm glad they give us ricerockets because middle class people need toys as well :tongue:

------

On topic:

Anyway, my (attainable) future dream garage would be a Nissan GT-R as power/track car along with Evo X as winter fun and a 2002 NSX-T as summer fun - so I hope I get it while I'm under 30. If I don't and I get 30+ years old I'm going for a 911TT instead :tongue:

I don't know, eventhough it's ugly I really want it.

Back