Anyone have any OLD RAM?

I just got my NEW (ancient) PC for work. Yes, it is a blazing P2-450 with 256 meg ram and a 3.7Gig HD. I think it is just old standard SDRAM. I am running XP and it actually is not THAT bad, but it sure would be better with more ram. Nobody has any here at work and I am wondering if anyone has any old ram laying around for a p2-450 that they are not using.

Thanks all.

Sorry. I don't have any. Did you call your local museum? :)

NetViper said:
I just got my NEW (ancient) PC for work. Yes, it is a blazing P2-450 with 256 meg ram and a 3.7Gig HD. I think it is just old standard SDRAM. I am running XP and it actually is not THAT bad, but it sure would be better with more ram. Nobody has any here at work and I am wondering if anyone has any old ram laying around for a p2-450 that they are not using.

Thanks all.

I may have some laying around, I will check when I get home.
How much are you needing?

len3.8 said:
I may have some laying around, I will check when I get home.
How much are you needing?

I am not sure. I have one single 256meg piece in it. Normally you need ram to be in pairs??

len3.8 said:
Send a picture of the board/with memory slot to me.
[email protected]

I will have to get a camera for that. Might be a while...

It looks like from below that I do not need ram in pairs. So maybe another 256 would be perfect. I am not sure what the limit is.

The PC is a Gateway G6-450.

Here is what they recommend:

MEMORY FOR YOUR PC

Item Number Product Name Price Status

5000239 128 MB PC100 SDRAM Module $ 99.99 IN-STOCK

Click on the product name for more information on the memory upgrade.

Memory Upgrade Information
System Serial Number: 0013665932

Motherboard Part Number: 4000432

Type of Memory Modules (shipped):
128-MB 100Mhz 64Bit 4-clock CL=2 SDRAM UNBUFFERED DIMM

Memory Installation Guide

Number of Memory Slots on Board: 3 (3 banks of 1)

Maximum Amount / Type of RAM that can be Installed:
384MB SDRAM, PC100

Looks like I can only support 384???? :confused:

Processor
Intel Pentium II, 450 MHz
100MHz external bus

BIOS
Intel Corp. 4W4SB0X0.15A.0012.P07 02/04/1999

Memory
Upgrade
256MB physical
90% free resources
3 memory slots, 2 free (256+0+0)

Video
Upgrade
Graphics Adapter: 3Dfx Interactive, Inc. Banshee
Screen Area/Colors: 1024x768 pixels, 16 million colors
Monitor: Gateway VX700

Drives
Upgrade
C:\ (NTFS) 3811MB total, 1033MB free
D:\ CD-ROM/CD-RW or DVD Drive

Network and Modem
Upgrade
(net) Intel Intel PRO/100+ Management Adapter
(net) Microsoft Direct Parallel

Operating System
Upgrade
Windows XP SP1 (Windows XP 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1)
Original setup date: 9/19/2004
DirectX Version: 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Swap file managed by Windows
File cache managed by Windows

Browser
MSIE 6.0; 5.1
Proxy: No proxy set
HTTP level: direct 1.1, proxy 1.0
Scripting version: 5.6.0.6626

NetViper said:
I will have to get a camera for that. Might be a while...

It looks like from below that I do not need ram in pairs. So maybe another 256 would be perfect. I am not sure what the limit is.

The PC is a Gateway G6-450.

Here is what they recommend:

MEMORY FOR YOUR PC

Item Number Product Name Price Status

5000239 128 MB PC100 SDRAM Module $ 99.99 IN-STOCK

Click on the product name for more information on the memory upgrade.

Memory Upgrade Information
System Serial Number: 0013665932

Motherboard Part Number: 4000432

Type of Memory Modules (shipped):
128-MB 100Mhz 64Bit 4-clock CL=2 SDRAM UNBUFFERED DIMM

Memory Installation Guide

Number of Memory Slots on Board: 3 (3 banks of 1)

Maximum Amount / Type of RAM that can be Installed:
384MB SDRAM, PC100

Looks like I can only support 384???? :confused:

I can work with this. I will let you know this evening.

I'm not familiar with that motherboard, but if it's a very old, it may not like PC133 RAM being clocked down to 100MHz. It may not like double-sided RAM or large memory modules (ie 256MB). In fact from the specs you've posted, the specs only support a max DIMM size of 128MB (that's on paper, not in practice).

Back in the days when P4-450's were in, the largest memory commonly available was a 128MB DIMM. That's not to say a 256MB DIMM wouldn't work, but it will not have been tested during the motherboards design and may have issues.

In short, if you can find some old PC100 128MB DIMM's, your chances of it working will be higher.

My 2 cents of nerd-talk. :)

I have a PIII-500 M/B with processor with 512 RAM installed from when I upgraded my system - complete with manual - you can have it for the shipping costs

D'Ecosse said:
I have a PIII-500 M/B with processor with 512 RAM installed from when I upgraded my system - complete with manual - you can have it for the shipping costs

Heck, if he doesn't want it would you consider sending it my way? - that way I could finally replace my antique :eek: Pentium ONE :eek: 233MHz that is doing storage duty down in the basement!

D'Ecosse said:

That would be sweet! I'll take you up on that offer :)

NetViper said:
That would be sweet! I'll take you up on that offer :)

Make sure that your case uses a standard power connector to the board - some Gateways in my experience do not - just like Dell cases often can not use a standard motherboard. Although, at the price of this board/cpu/memory you could certainly buy a new case as well!

Gee guys - you put me in a dilemma - I offered up something a little different and lemans kinda put in first dibs - although netviper was trolling for memory initially.
I kinda feel Lemans is further behind the curve though since Netviper is already running a P2 with XP and poor Lemans is on a P1.

Tell you what guys - I'll sit on it for a little longer & if someone (Len?) gives Netviper the memory you were looking for, then Lemans gets the board? Or maybe, Lemans, it will be your responsibility to get Netviper his memory then you get the board?

Either way, you both have to chip something in to our Christmas charity drive this year! :D

Guys, I have a shisk load of memory. I will take pics and send it to Netviper Tommorow. Sorry, I worked all day/night.

Last edited:
len3.8 said:
Guys, I have a shisk load of memory. I will take pics and send it to Netviper Tommorow. Sorry, I worked all day/night.

Have any PC800 RDRAM non-ecc 40ns laying around? :)

len3.8 said:
;) Nah, just getting home. 20hrs straight. I can't sleep now. Can't find the memory box either... :)

You must have been tired Len - totally missed the pun
Shisk load of memory .... but you just forgot?
Get it? :D

I think it says something about the quality of a joke when you have to explain it :(

D'Ecosse said:
Gee guys - you put me in a dilemma - I offered up something a little different and lemans kinda put in first dibs - although netviper was trolling for memory initially.
I kinda feel Lemans is further behind the curve though since Netviper is already running a P2 with XP and poor Lemans is on a P1.

Tell you what guys - I'll sit on it for a little longer & if someone (Len?) gives Netviper the memory you were looking for, then Lemans gets the board? Or maybe, Lemans, it will be your responsibility to get Netviper his memory then you get the board?

Either way, you both have to chip something in to our Christmas charity drive this year! :D

Okay, wow, didn't mean to complicate things!
First off, I checked the memory situation and what I have is a 64MB SDRAM module that I believe is 100MHz not necessarily PC100 - so it may work and it may not. I guess it is best to wait to see what Len can come up with but this 64MB is available if you want it.
Second, in the interests of full disclosure, a Pentium ONE is not my main or only machine - so to be completely fair and honest this PIII would be replacing an old machine that is used mainly for storage - I hesitate to call it a file server but that's basically what it is doing. I wouldn't want D'Ecosse to be thinking that I'm the worst off here and feel somehow obligated to bring me up the technology ladder by a couple of generations! No false pretences!
Then again, I did "beat" NetViper by THREE MINUTES!!!
:eek: :D :D :eek:

I somewhat concluded that Lemans - I am also considering that the original request is for Netviper's work machine - what's wrong with the company cheapskates not paying for that? :D

D'Ecosse said:
I somewhat concluded that Lemans - I am also considering that the original request is for Netviper's work machine - what's wrong with the company cheapskates not paying for that? :D

This is my only work machine. It is pathetic. My work won't pay for it though. I am going to have to, but I think it is probably worth it. I am not sure if I can even get a box here to put it in.

NetViper said:
This is my only work machine. It is pathetic. My work won't pay for it though. I am going to have to, but I think it is probably worth it. I am not sure if I can even get a box here to put it in.

I'm suddenly having flashbacks to an old comedy sketch - it was either Monty Python or Marty Feldman - with two old men trying to outdo each other about how poor they were growing up. It starts off with one of them talking about how "when I was a lad we lived with 14 people in a box" and the other says "You had a BOX?" in tones of utter astonishment. By the end of it they are talking about working 23 hours a day in the mines then going home to do chores...
:rolleyes:

Well, my IT department said I cannot use outside equipment, so the P3 is all yours. I will still use the ram though as they won't have a clue if it was installed or not :)

Back