Anyone going to The Driver's Edge (Sept 6-7 and Oct 18-19)

Who's going to The Driver's Edge?

The next two events are:
- September 6 & 7 at Motorsport Ranch and
- October 18 & 19 at Texas World Speedway.

EDIT: Additional dates:
- November 15 & 16 at Texas World Speedway (CW) and
- December 6 & 7 at Motorsport Ranch (CW).

Last edited:
I'm going to try and go to the TWS event depending on how compatible my brakes are with my suspension (long story). Trying to bring a few track buddies as well.

Haven't driven it before. The only experience I have there is riding shotgun with Wei Shin at NSXPO. Have you filled the two student spots yet?

i'll be there. I have a few friends coming from tyler(2 z06's, a mini cooper s, viper). let's try to get together if possible.

staying at the motel 6 near I-20?. Its very clean, and close to many restaurants. alot of MSR people stay there.

cbr600 said:
I tried to register last night but got an email said no more spot available on Sep 6-7. I guess I will wait until November then;-(

I will try for december

Last edited:
erobbins said:
If there is an Aggie football game that weekend, you can forget finding a hotel room.
I did not even think about that.

It looks like we're okay according to the 2003 Aggie schedule (they are playing away games). It's still a good idea to register early. These seem to fill up very quickly.

I was debating b/w the DE event and the Speed Ventures event. The speedventures event is on sept 26th-28th. I have a couple of things to do on the car(damn i sound like doug hayashi):D and am not sure if i can get it done before the speedventures event.

here is a LINK to that thread.

Is TWS a friendly track? I am a novice and am a little intimidated by walls, track-edge drop-offs, and the like.

Are the driver classes' track time separate, i.e., group 1 only, then group 2, etc.?

Do the drivers need to bring a compressor or does the track have compressed air?

TIA

TWS is a very friendly track. I've been to many Driver's Ed events there, and it is mostly wide open. A lot of the turns are banked, and none of them are off-camber, so that makes driving it easier.

There is really only one spot that can cause problems, which is after turn 2 (assuming the regular counterclockwise direction), if you go off the track on the right, and try to correct, you may catapult across and hit the barrier on the left. I've never actually seen anyone crash there, but I've heard that 911's, being Rear Engine, RWD, are most susceptible.

I guess the setup can vary by organizer, but the Porsche club always breaks it up into 4 groups (beginner, intermediate, advanced and instructor). Typically, these groups run their own individual sessions. If someone is too advanced for the group they are in, they move them up.

I haven't had a chance to race any other tracks, but I have been to some others to watch, and TWS seems a lot more novice-friendly. MSR in Fort Worth, with all off-camber turns, is a lot more challenging, based on what I hear from everyone who has done both.

As far as compressors go, you usually have to fend for yourself. I always bring a little dinky cigarette-lighter-operated one, which works fine. In general, you need to bring whatever tools you think you will need, since the accomodations in the paddock area are pretty sparse.
A lot of times, if you are in a bind, someone with the right tools will help you out, but you can't count on it.

Hope that helped.

George

Anybody going to Nov TSW event. I am signed up and was wondering if any other NSXs are showing up.

I know that S.L. and Ojas are going to be at the oct event, but it is already sold out.:(

Back