Anyone else have an E36 M3 as a track rat?

Today I bought a 98 M3 coupe as my track event car... for this summer anyway. It's something I can beat the hell out of and not worry too much. Originally I planned on taking the NSX to the track every once in a while - but it's just too purrrdee! :rolleyes: I'm a total newbie to the track so I think the M will be a good car to make my first mistakes in :wink: I've had a couple M cars and they've all seemed bullitproof... never let me down. I am betting the track characteristics are quite diff between the 2 (bone stock m3 to NSX), but nothing could get me to take the NSX out before I'm at least a little confident in my track skills, so it'll be at least a year or 2. Please don't flame me - I know the NSX is far superior, I'm just wondering if anyone else has my combo or tracks an M car on the weekends.
Michael

Our comrade Bob Butler, 1BADNSX, also tracks an E36 M3. As a regular trackie, I can attest that the M3 is popular and well suited to the track. Here in the SE, there are many at every track event, doesn't matter which club. It is a great car to build your experience in. But, while you'll get a great grasp of the fundamentals, it's not going to teach you too much about driving the NSX at the limits... inherent differences with the balance/engine position. The M3 can be driven with some oversteer; the NSX is not very happy with oversteer! The E36, in stripped track trim, is also lighter than the NSX. Have fun, keep the shiny side up. :smile:

I had a 97 E36 M3 that I tracked several times. At that time, I did not track my NSX because I was worried that I might crash it. One day, I decided to take my NSX to an event and I had a blast. Since then, I have been trying to become a better driver in my NSX.

FYI, I am still a novice/intermediate driver. There are so many things that you will learn at the track that it really does not matter which car you take. Just focusing on learning. That's what I am doing right now.

Have fun!

I previously owned an E36 M3, and tracked it a few times. I must admit i loved the car and do somewhat miss it from time to time. No, its not exactly an NSX, but its a GREAT bang for the buck. Although im still getting used to my nsx whereas i havent put many miles on it yet... I had great control with the E36 and it definitely loved the oversteer, whereas the nsx does not as much. Good luck with the M3, i do plan on getting another in the future, whether it be a e36 or maybe an upgrade to a E46.. they're great cars.

Chris

I had 2 of them , now I have my porsche 944 turbo as my track car so my nsx stays in one piece. :biggrin:

Not to hijack this thread but:

How do you like the 944 Turbo. They are fantastic cars and very tempting. Alas they can get pretty expensive to maintain.

Great choice. As Mark said I race an E36 M3. They are GREAT track cars and much easier to drive at the limit than the NSX. I found learning in the NSX, then switching to the M3 worked great because you could get the M3 all out of shape with experience and it wasn’t nearly as traumatic as the same slip angles in the NSX. If you learn in the M3, be careful later in the NSX trying to hang the tail out, because it will go around on you much quicker.

Bob

Attachments

• M3_Road_ATLsmall.JPG
    M3_Road_ATLsmall.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 314
Thanks for all of the advice Guys.
Bob, looks like your M is pretty seriously race prep'd. Mine is 100% stock right down to the pads. I'm definitely putting in the X brace in when the car gets here - any other reasonable mods that are must-haves for a beginner? Sorry guys - I should be getting this info on roadfly - but you all do so well at cutting out the bull... :redface: I'll try to keep my bimmer content over there from now on :smile:

Bob,
Just noticed that you're in Tampa. I'm flying down to Naples on 4/5 to pick my M up. I'll be driving right through there on 4/7 on my way home. I'm fairly familiar w/ the Tampa area. You anywhere near I-75?.
Michael

NSXLuvr said:
Not to hijack this thread but:

How do you like the 944 Turbo. They are fantastic cars and very tempting. Alas they can get pretty expensive to maintain.

I really love it! Its extremly fast; possibly faster than my NSX :mad: Im just starting to modify the car so ill let you know how it goes as far as reliability.

MLmotorsport said:
Bob,
Just noticed that you're in Tampa. I'm flying down to Naples on 4/5 to pick my M up. I'll be driving right through there on 4/7 on my way home. I'm fairly familiar w/ the Tampa area. You anywhere near I-75?.
Michael
Sorry I took so long to reply. Yes we live just 7 miles out of your way off of I-75 if you would like to stop by.

A stock M3 will probably need new dampers, so I would replace those while you are changing the springs, anti-roll bars, rear trailing arm bushings, front control arm bushings, swapping the front strut hats, and adding the x-brace and decent pads.

Bob

As well as Bob, I also campaign an E36 M3 in BMWCCA club racing. (we even run the same class but haven't been on the track together yet!)

I ditto everything he has said. I too started on the NSX which is not nearly as easy to drive fast. The M3 makes a GREAT track car, and yes with the proper maintainence they are BULLETPROOOF. Enjoy!

DSC05745.jpg

Jason,

Great looking M3 and congratulations on your VIR results this past weekend. 2:16’s for a stock class M3 around VIR is pretty good. Isn’t the M3 surprisingly fast! Depending on the track, my I-stock M3 is up to 8 seconds a lap faster than my stock NSX. Of course to be fair, the NSX is running street tires, and SP8000’s to boot. There is less difference at speed favoring tracks like VIR or Road Atlanta.

What vintage corvette is in the background of your photo? My father-in-law is an original owner of a 1957 283/245. I don’t know how many 57’s were produced, but I would bet there aren’t many with their original owners. Is that your business?

Bob

Bob,
Thanks for the kind words. I was very pleased this weekend. That's the best I have been in I-stock trim. I think there's a little time left for sure. I ran with NASA back in Feb in the GTS challenge and got to pull some of the added weight out and went 2:14 on used Hoosiers. This weekend was on a fresh set of Khumo's (I tend to think that even used Hoosier's are faster!)

That vette is a customer's car, and it's gorgeous. My buddy does corvette and 911 restoration and I have a deal worked out with him on race car storage at his facility. I bet your father in law's car is sweet. This guys actually owns a 67 as well.

When ya racing again?

Jason Weaver said:
That's the best I have been in I-stock trim. I think there's a little time left for sure. I ran with NASA back in Feb in the GTS challenge and got to pull some of the added weight out and went 2:14 on used Hoosiers. This weekend was on a fresh set of Khumo's (I tend to think that even used Hoosier's are faster!)
I'm not thrilled with the new Hoosier SO4's. I liked the SO3's better. What do you think? How much weight did you have to add to get back to I-stock? My car has full stock interior (back seats and stock passenger seat), operable A/C and I am usually at the I-stock minimum weight when low on fuel. With 15 gallons of usable fuel, that can swing the weight 90 pounds either way.

Bob

1BADNSX said:
I'm not thrilled with the new Hoosier SO4's. I liked the SO3's better. What do you think? How much weight did you have to add to get back to I-stock? My car has full stock interior (back seats and stock passenger seat), operable A/C and I am usually at the I-stock minimum weight when low on fuel. With 15 gallons of usable fuel, that can swing the weight 90 pounds either way.

Bob

The SO4's seem to tear / wear the edges up super quick. I would have to agree about the S03's, they always seemed to do really well. Maybe the V710 will be the hot setup compromise (cost vs stickiness) when the new sizes arrive. My cage is in the way of the back seats so they are out and I have the condenser out for cooling purposes. (no more street duty) With 1/4 tank I usally have to add 50 lbs or so to make weight if I recall correctly.

Back