Anyone considering c6 z06?

Just wondering if anyone of the US primers is considering the new z06. Looks like it will a freaking monster.

500hp/500 lbs-ft
0-60 in 3.8
probably run the quater in high 11s
and about 50-60 k. Seems like a pretty damn good deal to me.

I drove the z06 while on holidays their last year. Hellava car for the money. Brakes were least impressive part, but them seem that have fixed that with the new one. Granted 7L to get 500hp is a lot, but who cares - 500 horses is 500 horses.

Build quality will be a factor I am sure, but I guess something has to give to get a car that fast for that much money.

Wish we had them here.

I had read that it was going to be a $30K option on top of the current C6 price. So you are looking closer to $75-80K.

I would consider it just because of the numbers. Just dont think I can get a third 2 seater by the wife, at least until she gets her M3 conv. :wink:
If it is actually in the $70's I would probably not consider it. Too close to a used 355 or 360 in a year or so.

nsxtasy said:
With nice 360s currently selling for $125-135K, that's highly unlikely. F355s, maybe, if you consider eighties to be too close.
Within 1-2 years you will see 360's for <100K, not the best ones but!
$80K for a vette, Not a chance for me. $100K 360 that 5 years later will still be worth ~80K or more as it nears its bottom end.
an 80K vette after 5 years would be lucky to get 30K in resale.
And my quess is that after a few years the vette isnt going to be as nice anymore. Rattle buckets?? But we will see. :rolleyes:
I thought the base c6 was ~46K???
I cant believe they would bump the price more than 10-15K for the Z06?????
For around $60K it would be by far the most bang for the buck, for a little while anyways.

I like my auto NSX. The tires have never spun, it just has excellent traction when doing a standing start around a big corner.

IF I had 100k I MIGHT buy a 360 but I really don't think that's going to happen.

flight said:
Just wondering if anyone of the US primers is considering the new z06. Looks like it will a freaking monster.

Considering, yes. If you're fairly open-minded, i.e. not fundamentally opposed to all things domestic, how could you not? The base C6 is around 44k so I doubt the ZO6 will exceed $60k base price and that still represents a greater premium than the current model. I don't think I'll ever buy a new car again however, so I'll be looking at the reliability and values over the next couple of years. Hopefully, in a couple of years, you'll be able to pick up a 500hp supercar for around $40k! Interesting times in the sports car world to be sure :cool:

Nate

Hopefully, in a couple of years, you'll be able to pick up a 500hp supercar for around $40k! Interesting times in the sports car world to be sure

Well said.

My guess is that it would not go much over 60k. I think it would loose lots of its broader appeal at that sort of price.

I would personally not think twice about buying a year old, already 20% depreciated z06. I cannot think of ANY car that is better value than that - performance only as a measure.

Well, when I come there next year, maybe I can get a c5 z06 for my time there - they should have dropped a good deal by then. I cannot afford another NSX :(

People over here have already started placing orders with speciaility import places for the c6 coupe and z06. The coupe costing about 170,000 AUS. Dunno how much the z06 will be. There are only a handful of C% z06's in the county and they fetch about 140,000 for a 2002 model. The prices are so high due to import tax and conversion costs - people are willing to pay though.

In all honesty, if they get the suspension tuning right, they should have a car rivalling all the big guns around the nring. The c5 already laps the nring in under 8 mins which is the magic time.

flight said:
People over here have already started placing orders with speciaility import places for the c6 coupe and z06. The coupe costing about 170,000 AUS. Dunno how much the z06 will be. There are only a handful of C% z06's in the county and they fetch about 140,000 for a 2002 model. The prices are so high due to import tax and conversion costs - people are willing to pay though.
140K Australian Dollars ~= 107K U.S. Dollars
170K Australian Dollars ~= 130K U.S. Dollars
:eek:

nsxtasy said:
140K Australian Dollars ~= 107K U.S. Dollars
170K Australian Dollars ~= 130K U.S. Dollars
:smile:
nsxtasy said:

yep, that's that what I thought.

Mind you though, these numbers are about 8-10 months old, back when the exchange rate was almost 2:1 so it was close to 75k US.

Conversion on a C5 is about 15-18k US. There are some hard core vette fans with money here.

Here are some more specs.
I like the weight, 2900lbs
Interesting they are using Titanium rods.

SPECS

0 -> 60 in 3.8 sec.

Top Speed 200 MPH

2,900 #'s

5.7 #'s/HP

Chassis & Suspension development by Pratt & Miller,
Aluminum Hydroformed frame produced by DANA
- 345/30x19 Rears
- 6 piston Front, 4 piston Rear Brake Calipers
- Cross Drilled (cast and camfered) Rotors (possibly Brembo)

Engine Development by KaTech
To be hand built by new HP Engine Plant

LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP)
- 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP)
- Raced based CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers
- 11.0:1 CR
- 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve
- 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve
- 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block
- Forgrd Crank
- Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps
- Titanium Rods
- Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons
- 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm)
- Dry Sump
- 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite manifold

11:1 CR is impressive. I like the dry sump too considering the g's this will probably pull.

345 rear tires are huge.

Not bad considering it is a 'simple' push rod engine with 2 OHVs. Never understood why people complain that the vette is 'low tech'. Who cares about it being a pushrod when there is that much power coming from it. If it has the numbers, it has the numbers. Should be a complement to the designers that they get that much power from the engine, all 7L of it ;)

flight said:
Mind you though, these numbers are about 8-10 months old, back when the exchange rate was almost 2:1 so it was close to 75k US.
Then the price in Australian dollars should have gone down. If it was ~$75K US then, then it should still be around ~$75K US.

The weak dollar is great for exporters of U.S. goods, not good for importers of goods to the States. Keep your Pontiac GTOs (Holden Monaros) - they're not selling very well here anyway - and we'll send you more Corvettes. :D

If your not into the status quo that certain makes provide a new Z06 will be hard to beat.

It will destroy everything from 200K on down from a performance stand point. The designers of this car are ALL directly involved with the C5R that has dominated since it's inception.

I'll wait for them to come out, but unless your anti domestic or just feel a need to be different very little is going to touch this car. Not to mention the aftermarket will have a field day too.

I'm sure there will be those people that say "It's still just a Cheby", but this "Cheby" will be lapping just about everything at the track and the strip.

Great job GM!!

Jasil said:
It will destroy everything from 200K on down from a performance stand point. The designers of this car are ALL directly involved with the C5R that has dominated since it's inception.

I am not so sure about that. 200K gets you a lot of car. The new f430 is about 180k and I would be a little suprised if the z06 beat it - especially with all the nice gadgets in there. I'd expect the f430 to lap quicker than the z06 with its rear engine design, ceramic brakes, sequential transmission etc. Mind you, 110K is a helluva lot to pay to go a little faster around a track. But when you get to these levels of performance, gaining a second around a track is going to cost a lot more than at the hotted up wrx levels of performance.

Jasil said:
Great job GM!!

Now this I agree with :) They have done a damn good job IMO. I personally don't give two hoots about status. If I think it's good then I don't care if the fool in his bentley with a chaufer and butler looks down his nose at me at the lights. We'll both be leaving the earth one day - atleast I would have had fun during my time here

:biggrin:

Originally posted by Arata

Wow, in these supercar days, 2900 lbs is almost supermodel-like thin. A lot of sportscars are around 3200+lbs. To see 2,900 is impressive.

Arata said:
Here are some more specs.
Interesting they are using Titanium rods.

SPECS

0 -> 60 in 3.8 sec.

Top Speed 200 MPH

2,900 #'s

5.7 #'s/HP

Chassis & Suspension development by Pratt & Miller,
Aluminum Hydroformed frame produced by DANA
- 345/30x19 Rears
- 6 piston Front, 4 piston Rear Brake Calipers
- Cross Drilled (cast and camfered) Rotors (possibly Brembo)

Engine Development by KaTech
To be hand built by new HP Engine Plant

LS7 427ci/ 7.0L. 500HP/500 Ft Lbs (512 HP derated to 500HP)
- 2 OHV (3 OHV not necessary for target HP)
- Raced based CNC ported Aluminum Head with 70cc chambers
- 11.0:1 CR
- 46 mm (1.81") Titanium Intake valve
- 41 mm (1.61") Na filled Exhaust Valve
- 104.8 mm Bore (4.125") , 101.6 mm Stroke (4.0") Aluminum block
- Forgrd Crank
- Forged 6 bolt main Bearing Caps
- Titanium Rods
- Cast Aluminum Flat Top Pistons
- 0.591" Lift Cam (15 mm)
- Dry Sump
- 90 mm Throttle Body on Composite manifold
sounds like it will be faster than a viper. wonder what it would do supercharged?

K.O. said:
Wow, in these supercar days, 2900 lbs is almost supermodel-like thin. A lot of sportscars are around 3200+lbs. To see 2,900 is impressive.

I think it was MT or C&D that predicted it will probably weigh closer to 3100lbs. Not 2900.

flight said:
My guess is that it will be heavier than 2900, especially if they do not have a fixed roof - speculation of course.

They do not have the fixed roof model anymore. The Z06 will be the same as the current C6.

flight said:
I am not so sure about that. 200K gets you a lot of car. The new f430 is about 180k and I would be a little suprised if the z06 beat it - especially with all the nice gadgets in there. I'd expect the f430 to lap quicker than the z06 with its rear engine design, ceramic brakes, sequential transmission etc. Mind you, 110K is a helluva lot to pay to go a little faster around a track. But when you get to these levels of performance, gaining a second around a track is going to cost a lot more than at the hotted up wrx levels of performance.

It will be close, but with Pratt & Miller doing the suspension and the huge torque advantage, Brakes that are at least equal to the F430, and a huge tire size advantage.....the Z06 should be quicker at the track and definately at the strip.

Very much looking forward to the road tests and real world testing.

Back