Anybody Going to Watch "Kingpin" This Sunday

What. C'mon. Nobody's watching?!?
confused.gif

Regards.

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
I know Kingpin is highly anticipated. It seems like an interesting show -- a mix between The Soprano's and The Shield.

Nah. It's certainly not the Sopranos, since it doesn't have any humor mixed in; it's dead serious (pun intended). And I think The Shield is far more believable, with much stronger characterizations and better acting. Kingpin is okay, not bad; but they have too many wacky characters (the cousin in the first episode, the sister and her husband since then) mixed in with the realistic ones.

Right now I think the best serious dramatic series on television are The Shield, 24, and Oz. And the best light-hearted dramatic series are Everwood and Six Feet Under (which returns March 2 - hooray!).

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Reasonably accurate portrayal of the drug cartels in Mexico and Colombia IMO.

And the way you know this is...?
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by nsx1164:
Three episodes in, I think its pretty good. Reasonably accurate portrayal of the drug cartels in Mexico and Colombia IMO.

It runs on Tuesday and Sunday evenings on NBC through next week (6 episodes).

I like it as well (also for the fact that I get to practice the dark-side of my Spanish vocabulary)!! Looking forward to the finale tonight -- I assume with the high number of viewers that have tuned in for the Kingpin, they will be back very soon.

Regards.

NBC missed a great opportunity to reel in The Soprano fans out there. Since next season is supposed to be the last, they would have been in perfect position.

IMO the "hot" style of cinematography worked in Traffic but is annoying in Kingpin. I agree with nsxtacy. Some humorous characters might bring some relief to all the heavies in the story line.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited 16 February 2003).]

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
Looking forward to the finale tonight

The finale is tomorrow night (Tuesday).

They were hyping Sunday night's episode as the "first half of the two-part finale". Baloney. It was merely the fifth episode of the six-part miniseries, but that doesn't sound as exciting as using the word "finale".

Ever notice the euphemisms they use to hype television programs? For example, when they are plugging an upcoming "special episode" of a program, that phrase really means REPEAT.
rolleyes.gif

It was merely the fifth episode of the six-part miniseries, but that doesn't sound as exciting as using the word "finale".

Actually, how was the "finale" a "finale"? I was into Kingpin until the end, and was disappointed that the show didn't really have an ending.

Does anyone know if this show is going to be picked up as a regular series? Or was this merely engineered as a miniseries from the getgo.

As for the lack of humor others mentioned, I found the storyline with the plastic surgeon quite amusing.

------------------
--akira3D
'00 Acura NSX-T (red/black), '01 Lexus IS300 (black/black), '03 Honda Pilot EX-L (silver/gray), '97 Honda Civic HX (SOLD!!!)
"Reality is better than the dream..."

akira3d.com/nsx

[This message has been edited by akira3d (edited 06 March 2003).]

Kingpin always makes me think of the famous movie quote....

"The rents do again in a week! lalalalalalalal"

only preceded by a gratuitous panty hoes shot, rolling up over some old veiny legs....uhhh

Back