Any Volvo Owners out there??

Looking to get rid of my escalade and get a car for a daily driver. I have two primary requirements; one--navi system that works(unlike mercedes, must be dvd driven) two--very safe(have kids and drive lots of miles).

I've heard good things about the new volvos(S-60's especially).

What do you guys know about this car?

Ive now test driven 03 everything except the bmw 3-5 series. Price range of 35k-49k. Didnt love the mercedes, and they still have the lousy cd navi anyway. Performance is less important than reliability. I want a car that I can expect to drive 200k without major problems, and still feel solid doing it.

any thoughts? thanks for your help.

I'm not too keen on the Volvos although they make good cars. I personaly would opt for a SAAB 9-5 as it is, if not THE safest car on this planet, one of few that can be included in that "category".

If you buy the latest 9-5 you will have a car that have been improved in literally THOUSANDS different places. Trust me I know as I work at SAAB here in Sweden. Especially the Station Wagon is an excellent car and one of the best Wagons you can get. You also get a Turbo Charged engine that work very well as SAAB are known for their excellent ability to make great engines and Turbos, in fact all the engines that you can get for a SAAB are Turbo-charged nowadays.

Should you go for a SAAB 9-5 and want some power under the hood, buy the 9-5 Aero as it has a 2.3Litre 4 cylinder engine which produces about 245HP and this gives very good performance. Anyways, if you only wanted tips for the Volvos I apologize, wasn't my intention to "lecture" you with the SAAB
wink.gif

------------------
*Speedy Gonzales On The Run*

BMW is rumored to have a new AWD 5/6 series in the works. Could be a few years till we see that one though. Then the bugs to iron out...

Driven a 3 series xi yet?- Its a great car, even the 325 has sufficient power and OOHHH that feeling of solidity.
How about an X5?
New A4s are nice-very reasonably priced, So is a 1-2 year old A6 (they drop like a rock)
The Subi Outback/Legacy are both solid (relative to many Japanese cars), AWD, and as reliable as a Honda Accord. Don't know about navi on these though.

As for Volvos I had a friend with a 740/760?? turbo. He had a few turbo issues with it, but I think they have been pretty reliable since the S70 design. Also, I am not sure of this, but don't believe Volvo has the same free maintenance for 3-4 years as BMW,AUDI,MB, etc.

Personally, I think that Volvo does make the best seats in the business. Man their comfy

I would say look at BMWs...they are the first to incorpirate may safty features but dont get much credit beause their cars are not 'as cheap' as much as others.

BMW was first to incorperate head airbags back in the day...now the new 7s have more airbags than you can imagine!

As far as rigidy, just close a BMW door and the thought "panzar" come to mind. they call them vault like for a reason. My unlce once commented that "this door weights as much as my car!" (he as one of the little euro city cars)

IMHO: the safest car built for that $ is a last gen 7 series. VERY SAFE to say the least. And rock solid to 100+mph...one of the few cars you can 'accidently' go 90+ in without thinking about it..let lone feeling it.

As around here: http://bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e38/

BMW :thumbs up:

If you want more info, email me

EDIT: Then again I am parital
tongue.gif

------------------
Resident E38er

-97 NSX "Nina" #183

[This message has been edited by Auraraptor (edited 29 December 2002).]

03 MDX have Voice activated Navigation with one of the best Navi technology and DVD out there with 7 million point of interests.
Have you tried it?
Have you test drive the Volvo?
I like how the navigation instruction on Mercedes though. It has the additional monitor on the Speedometer area, the best is the G500 monitor very informative.
How about the new E-class.

------------------
--
'03 MDX Starlight Silver/Ebony
- 260 HP :) -> miles start to climb
'94 NSX Brooklands Green Pearl/ Onyx
- 10k miles
- GruppeM Intake & Exhaust V.3
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blue/ Grey - 5k miles
'93 300SE MBZ - 97k miles and running strong :)

I don't care for Saabs personally, but I like the Volvos. I've driven both the S60 and S80 briefly (Hertz rentals), and I liked them both. They seem pretty solid, have plenty of muscle for sedans, and don't look half bad. I say you can't go wrong with either one, I'd go with the S60 unless you need the extra space in the S80.

hey, thanks for the feedback. Dani, thanks for the tip on saab. i'll have to check the 9-5 out---One of the only makes i missed.

I agree with the bmw, mercedes comments. both are good vehicles. To tell you the truth, I think i prefer the volvo's looks, and comfort over these two choices. I was really surprised, as i expected to come home with a mercedes, or possibly bmw 5 series.

the volvo i test drove was the upgraded t-5, 247 hp and torque rating about the same. So it wasnt the new 300hp option, but pretty good performance anyway. Seats are really really comfortable, and it is bigger for driver than the mercedes or bmw 3series, similiar to bmw 5.

anyway, can anyone speak to volvo reliability? im already sold on safety(but tell me otherwise if you know different), but i want the option of driving this vehicle until 200kmiles and feel good about it.

thanks

Volvo have had good reliability with basically all their cars since the 240 and forward. Sure every maker has some difficulties with one model or so and Volvo is no exception but it's nothing to really have in mind when buying a new S60/80.

Volvo produces very good cars with high reliability and good quality, although I don't like Volvo and would never EVER even consider to buy one, I have to be honest and that's what I am when I tell you that if you go for a Volvo...you'll have a good and safe car.

Good Luck!

I can't speak about Volvo reliability since the cars I drove were practically new, and doubly so because they're now owned by ford
eek.gif
, but the new Saab turbo that I rented experienced a power window failure. Not too serious I know, but it could get expen$ive if it happens frequently outside of warranty.

Anyway, I assume Volvos are pretty reliable given how many boxy, old cars I see on the road.

Hey, how bout one of those fancy Olds 98 wagons, say late 80's model. 6500lbs and a little Old English on the paneled sides makes em look brand new !! Room for lots of luggage and if you put it in park and mash the gas they serve as a leaf blower for yard work.
biggrin.gif

Brothers got a Volvo and he loves it and neighbor has some type of all-wheel drive Volvo wagon that doesn't look to bad if your into the family truckster look.

Hope you had a good xmas w/no blow-outs on the way to the Land of Lincoln this time.

[This message has been edited by Tom Larkins (edited 30 December 2002).]

I would get a 5 series or X5. I've had a Volvo XC wagon and got rid of it within a few months. Car was nice enough but the engine always felt like it was struggling. And handling was nowhere close to a BMW.

Also, I think the BMW (X5 at least) will hold it's value much better than Volvos. I think 3 year residuals on BMWs are 60%+ while Volvos are around 52%.

Didn't the X5 get rated as the safest automobile...with the 5 series right behind it?

Two cents.

Oh yeah...the Saab 9-5 is a great car especially if you are going to lease the car. The lease programs are incredibly cheap with near zero money factors and huge rebates. If you buy it, buy used or be prepared for the value to drop like a deadweight. I think the car loses 50% of its value in 2 years.

I think the 9-5s are very nice, fun cars. Still don't handle like BMWs...but overall great cars. I don't know about reliability. I would only get one that was still under warranty...and hopefully, there would be a Saab dealership near you.

Another 2 cents. I think I'm up to a 4 cent contribution now.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
I don't care for Saabs personally, but I like the Volvos. I've driven both the S60 and S80 briefly (Hertz rentals), and I liked them both. They seem pretty solid, have plenty of muscle for sedans, and don't look half bad. I say you can't go wrong with either one, I'd go with the S60 unless you need the extra space in the S80.

Yea ,get an S-8 w/ a shot of nitrous "Like in the movie Ronin"
smile.gif

The Audies' were ugly as hell till recently.
Much nicer now.

I personally love the BMW's though.

Either the 3 series or the 7 series.

My buddy has a brand new 500 series Mercedes in black "Wow" what a ride!!

------------------
WWW.MYNSX.COM

Back