Any thoughts on a Lexus SC430?

I'm thinking of buying a Lexus SC430, and don't know much about this car. I already have a NSX, so it would be my daily driver. Where would I look for information on this car, if you guys can't help? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregg:D

The "styling characteristics" of the SC430 were discussed at length in this thread. However, from the sounds of it, you appear to be concerned with other things beyond just its aesthetic appeal. For additional info (i.e. technical information, specs, etc.), I would recommend trying Club Lexus.

As for myself, I own a previous generation SC, and I have been very happy with the build quality and engineering evident in this and other Lexus automobiles.

-Randy

Had one for about 1 year. Great daily driver, very comfortable with decent power. Looks okay and the convertible hard top is great. Absolutely no back seat room whatsoever, so if you need one forget it. Personally I'd rather use my NSX as a daily driver than a SC430.

Looks wise IMO its ugly =P

Much rather own a SL or CLS

I don't have any exprience with these cars beyond looks though =P

The SC sure does hold its value well. I see the price of the used has stayed pretty much the same for the last two years.

EIFFEL said:
I agree:) German cars are great to own and drive when under warrenty.

When under warranty - that is definitely the key phrase. They suck your wallet dry as soon as the warranty expires, though, which is something you never have to worry about with a Lexus.

The SC430 definitely has love-it-or-hate-it styling. The fact you're considering it and asking opinions suggest you like it and that's what's important. Performance-wise, it is no rocket. C&D did a comparo between an SC430, SL500 and something else (XLR I think?) within the last 6 months -- suggest you try to locate that article.

greggv said:
I'm thinking of buying a Lexus SC430, and don't know much about this car. I already have a NSX, so it would be my daily driver. Where would I look for information on this car, if you guys can't help? Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Gregg:D

Slightly pre-owned SL500 all the way in that price category. Spend a bit of money on wheels/tires and it looks fantastic.

On a sidenote, my girlfriend had an idea on this category of cars when we talked about what car we're going to replace her G35 coupe with, and she picked the Cadillac XLR.

I laughed at her, hahahaha, whatever, that car is American crap, no way is it going into our garage for $75k. Then I researched it on the XLR boards, and they seem pretty happy with it, and a lot of their owners have owned German or Japanese luxury cars previously.

Anyway to make a long story short, Cadillac is prepping the XLR-V Spec edition for debut after the C6 Z06 is announced next January, which will then be Caddy's equivalent to the SL55 AMG.

Basically it's getting a hot rodded engine that will be good for 400+HP, and it's getting a few other mods (suspension, wheels, slight body accents, etc.) It's also going to be avalable in an automatic, which is great considering that car will be used as a GT cruiser/short vacation car in addition to her daily driving it.

Hate to say it, but this will be yet another car that will hand my a$$ to me in my 3.2L NSX, lol. But by then a baby bull will already have been in my garage for around a year if all goes as planned, so the HP wars will continue to tip in my favor! :)

Last edited:
Re: Re: Any thoughts on a Lexus SC430?

khiroshima said:
My only thoughts can be expressed in that I think it's a GREAT . . . .chick's car. Sorry, Kevin

I hate to say it, but I agree. When I see a man driving that car I think in the back of my mind that maybe it's his wife's car. :o :p

I always wonder what lexus could do if they decided to put out a pure sportscar. No 4 seats (useless!), lower it, give it a more aggressive look and add some HP and they might have something! I think they had a good beginning with the IS.......

NemesisX said:
I always wonder what lexus could do if they decided to put out a pure sportscar. No 4 seats (useless!), lower it, give it a more aggressive look and add some HP and they might have something! I think they had a good beginning with the IS.......
They sorta already did: the 2JZ-GTE powered Supra Turbo. It shared the same chassis and many of the mechanicals with the SC300/400. The SC300 used the same engine and tranny as the base Supra. It is interesting that Toyota chose not put the Lexus moniker on its performance flagship in 1993.

I'll open myself up for a lambasting but my Dad has one.

Styling is subjective, so I won't touch that.

The ride/handling mix isn't as sorted out as it should be (for a Lexus) primarily due to the silly run flat tires. My Dad replaced those with regular tires and the ride is much, much better.

The power is pretty darn good for a slushbox and the brakes aren't bad.

The stereo/Nav system is awesome.

I find the materials used in the interior to be far, far better than those of the Jag, Benz, or even new Cadillac (which I personally find repulsively ugly).

The hardtop works very well although it eats a lot of trunk space when retracted.

The backseats (as others have mentioned) are a joke and I'm convinced only there to try and keep insurance rates down.

The headlights are great.

Perhaps the best part... Lexus build quality and ownership experience. Granted my family are Lexaholics (my parents have owned 3 LS400's (1990, 1994, 1997), an RX 300 AWD (2000 that my wife and I now own) and the SC430 (2002). They put more than 100K on each LS (still have the 1997) with no problems at all. The cars run as well now as they did when new and nobody else even comes close to taking care of their customers like Lexus. (Yes, there are shitty dealers out there but having lived in S.CA and now N. CA my parents have bought from and received service from 4 different dealer and each one has been awesome).

We have an IS300 and the aforementioned RX and love them for what they are.

Good luck.

BTW - my only gripe (since I'm uber anal retentive) is Lexus choice to use such a light colored headliner on a convertible. It's a bummer keeping that looking clean.

Back