Any issues with T-top rattles?

I have a 93 silver NSX and my buddy is interested in possibly getting a newer one with the T-top. He is concerned that there might be issues with the roof rattling.

I would appreciate hearing from NSX T-top owners on how good, or bad the NSX t-top holds up. Any rattling sounds at all? Thanks in advance!

Steve

i had a 98-T and yes, the T-top does rattle a little bit. but its normal. also when you drive with the top off, the car doesnt seem as rigid. you can definitely tell the difference on the steering wheel.

The T-top on my '02 rattled. I fixed the annoying chatter by placing additional rubber weather stripping between the T-top and the windshield -- this resulted in a tight fit and corrected the problem. I never plan on taking the T-top off anyway. Personally, I don't like the T-top but there was no other option for the '02 model.

Wow, I've never been in a '97+ -T that rattled before. I know some have a little squeaking from the rubber seals (which can be fixed), but actual rattling would be unacceptable to me. I would take it back to the dealer if the car is still under warranty. Just my opinion.

bayarea1999 is correct that there is more cowl shake with the roof off though. That being said, it's still better than most open top cars and the actual chassis rigidity is still quite good.

In both my 97 and 00, I have had no problems with rattles and the cowl shake is very minimal, if any. You should take a test drive in one and see if you even notice any peculiar issues, while having the sun and wind caress you lovingly(JK). With the top off, it's a completely different car, kinda like your getting a two for one car. As far as not wanting to take the top off, living in So. Cal., 9 times out of 10 it's off.

bayareansx1999 said:
i had a 98-T and yes, the T-top does rattle a little bit. but its normal. also when you drive with the top off, the car doesnt seem as rigid. you can definitely tell the difference on the steering wheel.

You can absolutely feel the difference in the rigidity with the panel off, but, you can also feel the sun, the wind, and the stares of the people you go past!!! My top doesn't rattle, but then again, the car is still new, don't know if it'll "loosen up", or stay just the way it is. Either way, it's great to drive!!!

The top did rattle on my '95T. Few months ago I got a brand-new targa top and now the roof is solid with no rattles at all.

The cowl-shake can be disturbing for the "purists" but I find it acceptable and a nice compromise for open-roof motoring.

Just like the other T owners, I have not experienced any sort of rattling. I have had some squeeking pop up, pretty much all of it related to the weatherproofing seal.

I can't say how less rigid the car is compared to a coupe, since I've never driven a solid roof NSX hard enough to notice any difference. I don't doubt that that my car (particularly since it's a 95) is as tight as the coupe, but that hasn't detracted from the sheer joy I have driving with the roof off on a sunny SoCal day.

-Randy

No rattles here

My 1995 with over 80k miles has no rattles from the top, just occasional squeeks from the panel and the dash. I do notice a big difference with the top out, but it is so much better than the average car, that it is not really a big deal.

rattles are not to be expected,if there is one I'd look for something loose is the roof (locking pin mechanism)or the rubber seals may be worn or dessicated.Squeaking is not uncommon and some grease and a lube job should perk her up!There was a tsb on the earlier targas to update the roof locking machanism.

Headers, exhaust ,VTEC with the top out really makes for some beautiful sounds. Top in sounds great but out you can really hear it sing!I get no rattles but if you did it should be able to be adjusted.
Cowl flex is there but "air in the hair" really makes up for it.
My C4 Corvettes had REAL cowl flex.

Last edited:
I currently have both a 1992 coupe and a 1997 T. The T is faster but the coupe is faaaar more rigid than the T. This translates to squeaks, cowl shakes and body roll. Also, the T has more engine noise and wind noise. No rattle.
Steve

Many thanks for everyone's valuable feedbacks, my buddy has decided to look for a hardtop!

WhiteNSXs(Steve),
Are your NSX's 5-spd and 6-spd? Is there a significant difference due to the gearbox that you can tell? Is 6-spd worth the $6k upgrade? Thank you for your time!

Steve

My 1992 coupe is a 5 speed and the 1997 T is a 6 speed. The 6 speed is a better tranny since the ratios are closer. The biggest difference is the first to second shift. The 5 speed's second gear is too tall and your engine speed drops below v-tec range during that shift. The 6 speed does not have that problem. You can modify the 5 speed with the short gears for $2000(parts+labor)
The 6 speed conversion is way too expensive to justify. You really don't need the 6th gear. But really, the 5 speed coupe is a VERY VERY good sport car in its own right. The 1997+ coupe is just a little better.
Steve

sorry if i'm stealing the thread, but...

so if i were to look for one the best range would be to look for one 93-95 and if i plan on tracking the car i should go for a non targa right?

renny said:
sorry if i'm stealing the thread, but...

so if i were to look for one the best range would be to look for one 93-95 and if i plan on tracking the car i should go for a non targa right?

Your best bet would be a 97 or later coupe, but they are very rare. After that, then anything before a 95 will be a coupe only (95 was targa only), and just watch out for the snap ring issue in some late 91 and 92 models. HTH.

whiteNSXs said:
I currently have both a 1992 coupe and a 1997 T. The T is faster but the coupe is faaaar more rigid than the T. This translates to squeaks, cowl shakes and body roll. Also, the T has more engine noise and wind noise. No rattle.
Steve

The body roll on the newer targas is because of the lighter sway bars, not because of the rigidity or lack there of. The body roll is easily fixed with some SOS bars. I seem to remember(chime in here Ken) a test of the targas by acura trying to flex the car with no success.
John

PS, Randy-Love the new avatar!

I seem to remember(chime in here Ken) a test of the targas by acura trying to flex the car with no success.

One test of rigidity is to measure the distance between the top of the windshield and the top of the rear roof structure while the car is on the ground, jack the car in the center of the car, and measure that distance again, to see how much it spreads. On most open-top cars, it will spread a half an inch to an inch or even more. With the NSX, it spreads no more than a sixteenth of an inch or so.

ANYTIME said:
PS, Randy-Love the new avatar!

Me too - but it should have an Acura logo on his chest.

The roof seals will squeak when dust settles into them.
Pull the roof and lube the seals and roof pins with your prefered
rubber seal protectant every 3 to 6 months and it will not squeak.
The 99 Zanardi editions are the most obvious hard top NSX coupes but they all come in Red. :(
They even seem to be going a little cheap due to the love of topless cars as of late.

No roof rattles here. Just a little squeeking from time to time.

Wouldn't the 97-01 coupes be the most rigid of all the coupes?

I'm thinking this because I would expect those coupes to also have the additional stiffening that was added in the sills and other areas to help the "T".

-Jim

Yes, Jimbo, that is correct.

I labeled the '91-94 Coupe and the '96-01 Coupe both as "most rigid" because they are both significantly more rigid than any of the NSX-T versions. The difference in rigidity between the '91-94 and the '96-01 will be much, much less than between either and any NSX-T. So technically, the '91-94 should be labeled as "almost the most rigid", but for all intents and purposes it's just about as rigid as the '96-01 Coupe.

Back