Any downside to HID lights?

Originally posted by NSXnBRLA:
I told someone about that one time, and they actually asked me how I figured i could outrun a ray of light travelling @ 186,000miles/second

that someone that u told has obviously never seen or driven an NSX...
wink.gif

Well I installed the HID lights last night, I ended up making some brackets to mount the ballast and igniter to. I didn't like using the nylon ties, it is a real clean set up. Has any one else made up their own brackets? I am curious because I'm surprised that Chris dosen't have some in his kit. Which I think was very nicely done with the instructions and all the parts that came with the lights. Any way, lights are working great and I think I have them adjusted right. I can see more to the sides and farther down the road. I am very pleased with these lights.

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

Originally posted by Ca AGNSX:
Does the SOS kit give you HID Low and High beams?

If not, I wonder if that could be an option - Chris??

Having Halogen High beams seems a bit redundant doesn't it?
confused.gif

The SOS kit is low beam only.

High beams are not redundant, because they are aimed straight ahead. Low beams are aimed downward towards the pavement in front of you.

A few cars have started having high beam HID systems. However, I have a concern about these - don't they make it difficult to use high beams to "flash" someone to pull over (or for oncoming cars to lower their high-beam headlights)? I say this because HID typically require a few seconds to power up to full brightness.

Some new cars have the OEM high-beam HID system. However, it is not a two bulb system. It is actually one bulb with two seperate reflector beam housings. From what I understand, as the low beam is always on, when the user activates the high beam, a reflector rotates into position and derives the high beam from the same low beam HID bulb. This alleviates the problem of "warming up" as HID systems need.

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
The SOS kit is low beam only.

High beams are not redundant, because they are aimed straight ahead. Low beams are aimed downward towards the pavement in front of you.

A few cars have started having high beam HID systems. However, I have a concern about these - don't they make it difficult to use high beams to "flash" someone to pull over (or for oncoming cars to lower their high-beam headlights)? I say this because HID typically require a few seconds to power up to full brightness.

------------------
www.acrmotorsports.com / 949-929-8973

Originally posted by nicholas421:
youre going to piss off alot of drivers in front of you. they will think you have your high beams on.

I think this is a common misconception from the aftermarket world of 75-100v replacement lamps. While HID's are somewhat brighter, it is the temperature, and our eye's sensitivity to that light temperature, that is the most aid in visibility. I am very sensitive to headlights at night as I get older
frown.gif
, but I have never been bothered by an OEM HID system in the 3+ years they have been prevalent around my neck of the woods.

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan

Back