Any downside to HID lights?

As it is getting darker so much earlier, I am thinking of getting the SOS HID kit. Is there any downside at all to getting the HID lights? Anyone regret getting them for ANY reason at all?

Thanks

Only thing I can think of is, it will attract more attention because your car will stand out more than others, thus possibly attracting law enforcement...

they may not ticket you but is an excuse to pull you over...

Yeah, they are $500! Figure that since they are three times as bright as halogens they should only cost three times as much
smile.gif

Joel.. the SOS kit is $580. Maybe we can get a group buy going... I would buy them at $500 for sure. Anyone else?

Originally posted by Joel:
Seriously!
$500...for light bulbs?
I was thinking of getting them too but not at that price. That's WAY too much, IMO.

There is more to HID's then just the lamps ........there is a ballast and ignitor .... but the lamps will cost about a $100 + each to replace if they burn out.But HID lamps typically will last 4x as long as halogens.

Upside: I noticed that after installing HIDs, other traffic at night is more inclined to yield the right of way.

------------------
Russ
'91 black/black

[This message has been edited by Russ (edited 13 November 2002).]

Originally posted by fangtl:
Yeah, they are $500! Figure that since they are three times as bright as halogens they should only cost three times as much
smile.gif

They are 599.00 last time I checked (and a lot cheaper than the potential for accident w/ the factory lighting)Thats possibly because of poorly lit freeways from AZ to LA and other road trips at high speeds 100-150 (generally I don't exeed that)but I,"believe it or not" got that part for practical purpose.So I can see far enough ahead on "stuff" that comes up quickly at speed.(tires in the road/animals "dead or not"/and yes even little frogs!! LOL
smile.gif

FOR GODS SAKE "THINK OF THE FROGS"!!

www.mynsx.com

[This message has been edited by MYNSX (edited 13 November 2002).]

[This message has been edited by MYNSX (edited 13 November 2002).]

You had better wax your car before you install them. As they tend to atract 5x as many bugs.

The price for the ScienceofSpeed kit is $580.00.

The HID kits on Group Buy Center are poor quality Taiwanese units and are not NSX specific. The one I picked up at SEMA fell apart at one of the connection as I held it up. They use Hella ballasts with lower quality componentry. They are quite apparently a lower grade even to the untrained eye. BTW, the price I last saw on Group Buy center was $450.00, not lower.

The kits we sell use the best electrical componentry, and are backed by an excellent warranty and our support. They are made NSX specific and include an NSX-specific installation guide as owners of the kits can attest to.

There are no apparent downsides to the kit that I can think of. The kit was designed to replicate the factory beam pattern by using bulbs of the same length as stock to retain the same focal length and use optimal color output that does not produce the glare and incorrect beam patterns that other kits may.

Regards.
-- Chris

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
The price for the ScienceofSpeed kit is $580.00.

So Chris, is there no chance of getting a lower price with a group buy?

the whole kit is a BIG difference than just cheapo bulbs...the glow and how much it spans on the road, you just have to see it in person and you'll know. If you drive at night alot, its well worth it..

It would not be fair to the many customers who have already purchased the kit. We set our prices at the lowest we can to be able to offer the best prices to everyone.

Regards,
-- Chris

Originally posted by NetViper:
So Chris, is there no chance of getting a lower price with a group buy?

I ordered my HID Kit from SOS and Chris says I should have them by this weekend, can't wait to see how much brighter these are. I feel that the stock lights are inadequate
for any higher speed drives at night, you just out drive the lights.

------------------
Joseph Gavazza
99 White/blk NSX
92 Lexus LS400
01 VW GTI VR6

Originally posted by nicholas421:
youre going to piss off alot of drivers in front of you. they will think you have your high beams on.

A good HID system has a very sharply defined horizontal beam pattern for low beam headlights, so that light is directed only down towards the road, not ahead at oncoming cars.

This is one of the ways of distinguishing a high-quality, beam-correct HID system from a poor-quality, generic system.

Originally posted by MYNSX:
They are 599.00 last time I checked (and a lot cheaper than the potential for accident w/ the factory lighting)Thats possibly because of poorly lit freeways from AZ to LA and other road trips at high speeds 100-150 (generally I don't exeed that)
B]

With that much drag producing body parts on your car can you actually reach 150mph? Not being sarcastic, just wondering.

------------------
George W
Porsche 996 for sale!

I think Nicholas might be refering to my car. When we had our last meet he was in front of me on the way home and my lights are aimed a little bit to high to say the least.

Back