Any depreciation left on early NSX's?

Is there any kind of consensus in the NSX community as to if the value has bottomed out, or where it will if it hasn't? I normally wouldn't even be considering a car this expensive, as I'm a bit of a tightwad - not cheap, but I like to make smart moves with my money. It occurred to me, that if the early ones have bottomed out in value, then I could get one and not have a depreciating asset, which is rare in a car. If I buy a $10K Accord, it will be worth $5K in 3 years. If I can satisfy myself that a $20K NSX will still be close to $20K in value when I'm ready to sell, then driving the NSX is more financially sound than driving the Accord. It's got more money tied up, but in the end would be the better buy. Thoughts?

yeah, the accord will probably worth alot less in 3 years but maintenance is alot cheaper. Just for basic maintenance, tires (ouch, especially if you lower the car, it will only last about 5000 to 8000 miles), clutch or anything break then it'll cost you an arm and a leg. :)

I think most NSX owners believe prices will not drop too much farther from the current value, especially if there is no next generation model. There was a poll on this topic before.

Take a look at the pricing table here which is a good guide for true market prices.

Dave Hardy said:
Is the arm and leg parts or labor?
Arm for parts, leg for labor. Leg between right and left for mods. Fastners of said leg for mishaps from mods. :p

Noone knows for sure where the prices are going. If it is only a cost issue, the accord would be a better bet: cheaper gas, less $ to maintain, cheaper auto ins., better mileage, etc etc

If you are only considering buying the NSX for an investment, it will not be a good one. Try real estate ;)

Only buy the NSX if really love the car. JMO

Well, not an investment in the traditional sense. Just a "not as bad as most" deal. A brand new car, regardless of the price, is about the worst use of money there is from a future value point of view.

I'm not as concerned with price as I am with cost of ownership. On most cars, depreciation is the biggest component of the cost of ownership. If you can minimize that component, then there is a bit more room for $400 regulators without the big picture suffering.

I'm a big fan of used cars that are good deals. My best buy so far is the 2000 Maxima that my wife drives. It was originally a $30K car. I bought it as a 3 year old for $8K, when the book on it was $13K. My current daily driver is a CRX that I bought for $1K, that is now worth about $4K. If I won the lottery tommorow I still wouldn't buy a new car - they just make no sense to me. That and I hate dealing with car salesmen.

That's where I am. A cheapskate who has lusted after the NSX since I was 15 years old, who isn't afraid of a wrench. In the next 5 years I'll have kids, so if I'm going to own an exotic before I'm 60, now is the time.

There are no guarantees regarding the future, but the past is a good guideline. The value of a well-maintained early NSX Coupe has hardly budged in the past 5-7 years, falling no more than a couple grand during that period, if that. Newer NSXs have experienced significant depreciation, but that's almost always the case with any car.

I'm a big fan of used cars that are good deals.

Me too. In my humble opinion, NSX definitely fits into this category. Please don't fool yourself thinking that this is a 14 year-old car. Once you take a look at each panel, suspension component, engine, and etc., you will be amazed at how amazing these cars are. Regardless of what people say, my 14 year-old NSX still feels and looks like $60-70K car.

I am just thankful for being able to own this car at a fraction of the cost.

Cost versus Value

>>A brand new car, regardless of the price, is about the worst use of money there is from a future value point of view.

This statement needs close examination. Even if true, there is more to life than money. No one buys an exotic sports car because it represents a good use of money - they buy them for emotional reasons usually related to the joys of ownership and high performance.

My NSX cost me 50K in 1991. It's worth about 30K now so I've lost approximately $20,000.00 I've also spent at least another 20K on insurance, tires and maintenance. But what have I gained for this "poor use of money" - let's have a look:

- 13 years enjoyment and pride of ownership
- met interesting people from around the world
- made lifelong friendships with several outstanding people
- met and befriended American Honda executives
- hosted reception for the NSX Chief Engineer at my home
- learned automotive repair for maintaining my own car
- learned high performance driving in racetrack environment
- received great satisfaction from volunteer NSX club work
- invited to local auto racing dinners thru meeting another NSX owner
- found my dream job, changed careers due to above networking

All that, and I still have a beautiful, modern, fantastic sports car at my disposal. For me this represents the best use of the money involved. I could have invested it and perhaps had it accumulate more over the years, but I could also get hit by a bus on the way home too. Each to his own!

Dave Hardy said:
Well, not an investment in the traditional sense. Just a "not as bad as most" deal. A brand new car, regardless of the price, is about the worst use of money there is from a future value point of view.

I'm not as concerned with price as I am with cost of ownership. On most cars, depreciation is the biggest component of the cost of ownership. If you can minimize that component, then there is a bit more room for $400 regulators without the big picture suffering.

I'm a big fan of used cars that are good deals. My best buy so far is the 2000 Maxima that my wife drives. It was originally a $30K car. I bought it as a 3 year old for $8K, when the book on it was $13K. My current daily driver is a CRX that I bought for $1K, that is now worth about $4K. If I won the lottery tommorow I still wouldn't buy a new car - they just make no sense to me. That and I hate dealing with car salesmen.

That's where I am. A cheapskate who has lusted after the NSX since I was 15 years old, who isn't afraid of a wrench. In the next 5 years I'll have kids, so if I'm going to own an exotic before I'm 60, now is the time.

I am also a big fan of paying a fraction of the cost on used vehicles. Why buy a new car when you can buy one for thousands less with some miles?? I do not mind at all. I will be looking at an X once I graduate. The only thing about owning an X is the price to maintain it.. :rolleyes:

Soichiro said:
>>A brand new car, regardless of the price, is about the worst use of money there is from a future value point of view.

This statement needs close examination.
My NSX cost me 50K in 1991
But you bought yours used, too! :p

If you can find a NSX for 20K like I did you need to spend another 5-7K to make it up to par with all the other nsx out there.

-Timing belt
-windshield seal
-A C repair
-Seat repair
- Maybe even paint.

But yes a early NSX had kept its price for the last few years.

Interestingly. Supra Twin Turbo is another car that seem to have actually appreciated if you had it for a couple years.

Also some of the cars that is popular with the drifting scene also went up in price recently. IE AE86 Corolla GTS, S14 240SX Some good condition S13 240SX are also more expensive to get now a days.

minsbang said:
I am also a big fan of paying a fraction of the cost on used vehicles. Why buy a new car when you can buy one for thousands less with some miles?? I do not mind at all.

Same here about paying less for getting more, but don't completely agree on never having to buy a new car. I have never bought a new car, but under certain circumstances I would. One of these would be to buy a new vehicle with intention to running it to the ground. I sincerely believe in this case one is better off being the original owner, than saving some $$$ here and there without knowing everything about previous maintenance and other factors which could limit a car's durability in the (very) long run. I usually buy 3-5 year old vehicles of the last model years which I think represent the best time to buy when considering "newness", bugs worked out, warranty left, depreciation and future resale value.

As you can see and read an older nsx(3.0 liter) is a great sports car used buy,but,but,,you are getting into a little murky water with your 20k price point,move that up to 25-28k and you will be happier with the available choices and selection.You may also want to talk to some of our local wrenches about ease of dyi maintainance.I think you are better off getting a car that is up to date in major service rather than one which has been passed down from owner to owner each of which has cheaped-out on upkeep,and put em away wet.

I purchased a '92 NSX in 4/99 and sold it last month for $8,000 less. Figured that way, my cost of ownership was $148/ month. Not counting mods or maintanence, which was probably another 6 to 8 k. Factor that in and the cost of ownership was still only around $250/month. And worth every penny
I might add. (I'll be real lucky if the Elise treats my as well financially.)
Who knows where prices are headed going forward?, I'd have to think we are near the bottom of the depreciation curve for '91's and '92's .

There are other reasons for buying a car new - knowledge of its history, lack of problems, new-car warranty, pride of ownership, etc.

Also, some cars depreciate more than others, such that low-volume in-demand cars may have a smaller difference in price between new and used. And some car models are frequently abused and/or modded unwisely, so that it's tough to find one that's truly in mint condition. That yellow car in my avatar is a perfect example of both of these factors.

Re: Cost versus Value

Soichiro said:

This statement needs close examination. Even if true, there is more to life than money. No one buys an exotic sports car because it represents a good use of money - they buy them for emotional reasons usually related to the joys of ownership and high performance.

My NSX cost me 50K in 1991. It's worth about 30K now so I've lost approximately $20,000.00 I've also spent at least another 20K on insurance, tires and maintenance. But what have I gained for this "poor use of money" - let's have a look:

- 13 years enjoyment and pride of ownership
- met interesting people from around the world
- made lifelong friendships with several outstanding people
- met and befriended American Honda executives
- hosted reception for the NSX Chief Engineer at my home
- learned automotive repair for maintaining my own car
- learned high performance driving in racetrack environment
- received great satisfaction from volunteer NSX club work
- invited to local auto racing dinners thru meeting another NSX owner
- found my dream job, changed careers due to above networking

All that, and I still have a beautiful, modern, fantastic sports car at my disposal. For me this represents the best use of the money involved. I could have invested it and perhaps had it accumulate more over the years, but I could also get hit by a bus on the way home too. Each to his own!

Excellent analogy, I couldn't put it better myself. Cheers !!

If your thinking you going to save money by buying a NSX over a accord you are going to be wrong. What you save in depreciation you will spend more in parts and insurace. Even if you did your own work.

Because the NSX handles so well you will go thru tires. You won't skimp on gas (Premium vs Regular)

What you will gain is a smile everytime the tach goes above 4K. The attention you will received with the NSX vs Accord.

Here is what I did. When I owned a Ferrari and NSX. I only drove it on weekends. I paid cash so only had Liability and had a accord or carmy to get around in.

In the long run if I would have drove the NSX every day it would have cost twice to three times as much.

So get the NSX becuase it is a great car but don't think you can ever save money on any car if you plan or driving it.

Just my 2 cents wort.

I don't think a fairly average condition NSX will ever be priced below 19,000 despite the miles, clear title of course.

Even in 3 years I would still bet it would stay the same, at least for the 91-94's. Might drop a few grand, but not much.

I'll keep mine for another 3-4 years, might take it back to Thailand if business goes well here in Denver after the merger.

There are two different ways that is happening.

KBB valuve, and perceived value. Obviously, you see people dropping around $30 grand for a 91 all the time, but if you try to trade in a 91 NSX, the dealer will most likely give you couple of grand below whole sale. That is just the way it is.

I have also seen clean title 91 NSX that is just flat out thrashed. I wouldn't offer more than 10 grand for those simply because due to restoration and updating the service record. BUT, I have seend 91 NSX with practically no mileage go for high 30's.

Last edited:
Bought mine 1991 over a year ago for $36500 and thats from bargaining down 2k.

Back