Any Crossfitters here?

I have been crossfitting since Feb '12. Since I was younger I enjoyed working out, going to the gym, playing sports etc.
But as most gym rat's know, it's easy to get bored doing chest/tri's and back/bi's and legs/core the other days.
Crossfit has been the best thing I have ever done, my wife actually bought me the foundations class for a bday present back in Feb.

I will do my best to explain getting into crossfit below.
During the first month, your trying to fit it to the classes and understand the movement's, you'll feel weak and usually unorgainzed due to the complexity of the olympic movements.
Month 2 you begin to find your way and become part of the community and get and give support from everyone around you.
From month 3 and up you check the WOD's and get upset that you can't go bc your busy with work (but you have to pay the bill's right ?)
I have yet to do the same WOD twice, I benefit from having 2 of the best trainer's as my box owners/coaches. Dennis Marshall and Jenn Hunter-Marshall and I train at Crossfit Garden City

Hope my post made sense to all those non crossfitter's looking to get into the sport.

My first two weeks of crossfit was awful. I experienced soreness at a very new and painful level. The coach told us that our bodies will get used to it eventually.. and it certainly has. The soreness is not as painful, but the levels of hurt are still up there.

DreamPowered, how do your coaches program the strength side (squats, cleans, snatch, press, jerks, deadlifts, etc)

My first two weeks of crossfit was awful. I experienced soreness at a very new and painful level. The coach told us that our bodies will get used to it eventually.. and it certainly has. The soreness is not as painful, but the levels of hurt are still up there.

This is why I can't start yet. I'm looking forward to it, but with my wife out of commission for the foreseeable future, I have to be able to run around doing all the day to day errands and stuff around the house and for the kids. With the levels of soreness that I hear go hand in hand with CrossFit, I'm told at times you can't walk or bend your arms, etc.

This is why I can't start yet. I'm looking forward to it, but with my wife out of commission for the foreseeable future, I have to be able to run around doing all the day to day errands and stuff around the house and for the kids. With the levels of soreness that I hear go hand in hand with CrossFit, I'm told at times you can't walk or bend your arms, etc.

It was more my legs and lower back. We started with 150 wallball shots.. and the following WoD was pullups, deadlifts, and running. I didn't walk right for a week... Forget about picking anything up I dropped... lol

cross-fit incorporates great fundamental workouts, and the cult mentality that comes with it is both encouraging and enjoyable. The problem I see with cross-fit is that it includes some pretty technical workouts, which, especially when done for time, can lead to poor form and result in injury. I've seen some people do some STUPID things with KBs at the local cross-fit gyms.

That said, I used to be sort of a gym rat and focused mostly on olympic lifts. Lifting heavy is mentally and physically taxing and eventually I just couldn't deal with the boredom. I got into KBs very seriously and found them to be great, and eventually started getting into cross-fit but it just never picked up. I've settled into a combination of climbing (bouldering), calisthenics, and KBs for my fitness and have been feeling great - strong and limber without the soreness and stiffness that can come from other routines :)

DreamPowered, how do your coaches program the strength side (squats, cleans, snatch, press, jerks, deadlifts, etc)

Sorry for the long delay, forgot my password and couldn't reset it until I got back to work.
I am fortunate to have two coache's/owners who work for Reebok corporate. They are on the crossfit board and the programming is well thought out. It usually consist's of a Strength day and then a cardio day, both equally tough. You can check the website at CrossfitGardenCity.com
and check the wod's to see what I mean.
9 Month's in and still sore and loving it.

Sorry for the long delay, forgot my password and couldn't reset it until I got back to work.
I am fortunate to have two coache's/owners who work for Reebok corporate. They are on the crossfit board and the programming is well thought out. It usually consist's of a Strength day and then a cardio day, both equally tough. You can check the website at CrossfitGardenCity.com
and check the wod's to see what I mean.
9 Month's in and still sore and loving it.

That's awesome. My coach programs the workouts for 5 days a week with 2 active rest days. He picks three strength movements and does 5x5, 5x3 cycles before going to 5x1 which we just completed. I PR'd tonight with 250lbs 1RM front squat! whoot.

So I too have now drank the Kool-Aid. I just finished my two weeks of orientation where you are introduced to many of the various exercises and learn the correct movements for some of them and go through some basic WODs. I was very sore that first two weeks, but it's much better week 1 of actual classes. Been to two classes this week and while it's absolutely exhausting, it's fun too, especially the classes where you break up into teams and compete against other teams. I can see how this might just become addicting.

A lot of the time it is pretty easy. Any body weight move I need to wear my weight vest and unless we are really up there in weight, nothing is super challenging.

I've actually moved to increase the prescribe weight on most days do to actually losing raw strength.

A lot of the time it is pretty easy. Any body weight move I need to wear my weight vest and unless we are really up there in weight, nothing is super challenging.

I've actually moved to increase the prescribe weight on most days do to actually losing raw strength.

Thats pretty good. But before going that route, have you maxed out your speed/time in the WODs you talked about? I suppose it depends on goals. For example, how fast can you do Fran? Have you reached a point where you cannot go any faster? Unless you won or placed top 10 in the Crossfit Games, I find your comment of "nothing is super challenging" kinda full of dook, with all due respect. being able to perform the movements and finishing the WOD is one thing... Doing it faster with good form is another. Care to post up A video of you WODing?

yes please i wanna see you guys woding......

Thats pretty good. But before going that route, have you maxed out your speed/time in the WODs you talked about? I suppose it depends on goals. For example, how fast can you do Fran? Have you reached a point where you cannot go any faster? Unless you won or placed top 10 in the Crossfit Games, I find your comment of "nothing is super challenging" kinda full of dook, with all due respect. being able to perform the movements and finishing the WOD is one thing... Doing it faster with good form is another. Care to post up A video of you WODing?

FWIW I don't attend a box. I go off of outlaw, football, and the regular crossfit website for WODs and ask my friends for their WODs who go to boxes if I need something new.

My Fran time is 2:45 with kipping, and only have done this 4 times. I normally wear a weight vest , 65lbs, when doing pullups (135 when dipping FWIW). I also have no issue doing ring muscle ups. I am a former collegiate soccer and track guy as well so my Fran time isn't the best standard to hold me by.

Off hand, one of the hardest WOD's IMO is Kaslu. I've never been able to break 17 minutes at the prescribed.

I pride myself on correct form. If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right. Exactly what I instruct my athletes to do.

My goals are no longer speed. My goals are to outlift and outperform my friends. Unfortunately this is not much of a challenge to me so now I am backing away from speed and going to strength. I was a 1000 pound clubber in college and was hoping crossfit would bring back that strength. Although my abs are now as cut as ever, I really have not progressed much in the big 3.

I used to do crossfit quiet a bit but im out of commision due to landing bad during a Airborne operation and breaking my 2nd metatarsal in my foot :(. I enjoyed the variety of it which allowed me to never get bored.

Be careful about using a weight vest because the last thing anyone would want to do is screw up their back because it will never be the same again.

I just started doing crossfit a lil over a week ago. In my 12 years in the military, none of those workouts came close to the work outs I'm getting now. I'm being trained by a couple of friends. They are both prior Marines and current LEO, been doing it for quite some time now. We train at their home gym, so nothing beats $free.99 I've change my diet, eating lots of greens, drinking lots of water which I never really did, and plenty of other cardio. Those first 4 days or so, I was in so much pain. Sore all over my body, even in places I've never felt pain in. I've been out of the military almost a year now, so I let myself go pretty bad. In this week alone, I have lost 10 lbs already. I know I shouldn't just focus on that. I'm starting to feel great after every workout, which are like 1 1/2 - 2 hours every day. Looking forward to this summer already! :)

FWIW I don't attend a box. I go off of outlaw, football, and the regular crossfit website for WODs and ask my friends for their WODs who go to boxes if I need something new.

My Fran time is 2:45 with kipping, and only have done this 4 times. I normally wear a weight vest , 65lbs, when doing pullups (135 when dipping FWIW). I also have no issue doing ring muscle ups. I am a former collegiate soccer and track guy as well so my Fran time isn't the best standard to hold me by.

Off hand, one of the hardest WOD's IMO is Kaslu. I've never been able to break 17 minutes at the prescribed.

I pride myself on correct form. If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right. Exactly what I instruct my athletes to do.

My goals are no longer speed. My goals are to outlift and outperform my friends. Unfortunately this is not much of a challenge to me so now I am backing away from speed and going to strength. I was a 1000 pound clubber in college and was hoping crossfit would bring back that strength. Although my abs are now as cut as ever, I really have not progressed much in the big 3.

Respect.

I used Fran as an example because it is a benchmark WOD. 2.45 is up there so, it's very respectable. Judging from your resume, I would be out of line to question your abilities. You should compete in the CF opens if you don't already

Respect.

I used Fran as an example because it is a benchmark WOD. 2.45 is up there so, it's very respectable. Judging from your resume, I would be out of line to question your abilities. You should compete in the CF opens if you don't already

Thanks. I've considered attempting them but I don't have the time with my job and soon grad school.

Any workout you do needs to have a purpose and somehow be in line with your ultimate goals. Crossfit just isn't exactly what I need right now to meet my goals. However, I have nothing against it as they do have some really fun workout sessions and love that almost every workout is designed to work your full body.

If you want abs, great cardio, and to tone up, do crossfit :)

our oldest son has been a dedicated crossfitter for 3-4 years, and 2 years ago began developing a pre / post workout paleo food / bar for his own consumption. he shared some with his friends and it turns out that so many southern cal crossfitters like them that he has trouble keeping up with demand.

he just put up a video at his website http://www.ohmybar.com - if you're a crossfitter / paleo person, you might check out his website.

I just signed up for a 2 month crossfit membership in Princeton NJ. Living Social had a great deal on it. I'll be going with a friend of mine. This is going to be rough, but it will be worth it.

can't really gain/retain a lot of muscle with crossfit.....

I guess that depends on what you call a lot. I have multiple friends that have been going for 12-18 months in their 40s that went in kinda flabby but with some muscle (ie, me today) and are now pretty friggin big for guys in their 40s and incredibly strong for guys of any age.
I am going to be hugely hurting tomorrow. I can already feel my legs stiffening.

Todays WOD:

750m Row
5 Front Squats 155/115
80 Double Unders
5 Front Squats 155/115
60 Wall Ball
5 Front Squat 155/115
20 Pistols
5 Front Squats 155/115

I can agree with this, if you only strictly do the WODs and nothing else.

My lacrosse coaches actually own and operate a local Crossfit gym that I have trained at many times, however, I still prefer weightlifting and doing my own high intensity cardio workouts to stay in shape because:
1- It's free.
2- I don't have to leave my house to do it.

I can honestly say that through the workouts that I do every/every-other, I have seen more physical improvement in myself then I ever saw when I went to Crossfit.

With that being said, I would still recommend Crossfit to anyone who is new to working out and might be looking to lose a few pounds and get a little more toned muscle. It is a big commitment though, similar to many other workouts, and requires dedication. To each is his own though and this is not my first choice of working out.

I can agree with this, if you only strictly do the WODs and nothing else.

My lacrosse coaches actually own and operate a local Crossfit gym that I have trained at many times, however, I still prefer weightlifting and doing my own high intensity cardio workouts to stay in shape because:
1- It's free.
2- I don't have to leave my house to do it.

I can honestly say that through the workouts that I do every/every-other, I have seen more physical improvement in myself then I ever saw when I went to Crossfit.

With that being said, I would still recommend Crossfit to anyone who is new to working out and might be looking to lose a few pounds and get a little more toned muscle. It is a big commitment though, similar to many other workouts, and requires dedication. To each is his own though and this is not my first choice of working out.

To many, Crossfit WODs do seem pretty random. Like any other kind of fitness plan, there's a plan... a program. Paying to go to a box isn't just about working out. It's about the community.. and the coaching. Having a good coach goes a long way in meeting whatever your goals might be. If you are trying to only get huge, then Crossfit is not for you... If you're a skinny dude like me, there is a lot to gain from a good strength based Crossfit program.

To many, Crossfit WODs do seem pretty random. Like any other kind of fitness plan, there's a plan... a program. Paying to go to a box isn't just about working out. It's about the community.. and the coaching. Having a good coach goes a long way in meeting whatever your goals might be. If you are trying to only get huge, then Crossfit is not for you... If you're a skinny dude like me, there is a lot to gain from a good strength based Crossfit program.
There is a lot to gain regardless of your build. Im just saying that there are other ways to keep fit than crossfit that I actually prefer better.

Like I said though, to each his own. Just my $0.02

Back