Any 6spd owners with aggressive aftermarket clutches have trouble "finding" 5th gear?

Any 6spd owners with aggressive aftermarket clutches have trouble "finding" 5th gear?

I just intalled an RPS clutch, and as a result, the tension in the left to right movement of my shift knob has been increased significantly. So now I have trouble determining how far right I have to go before I shift up to 5th gear. I keep overshooting, and going too far right (where the reverse is) and not being able to shift up. I have to constatly search for 5th gear before I can find it. Did the installer not adjust something correctly?

Re: Any 6spd owners with aggressive aftermarket clutches have trouble "finding" 5th g

great...i wil be installing my dual disk soon..Give me a paranoia why don't u. LOL...will be back to see if anyone says anything else. :)

Re: Any 6spd owners with aggressive aftermarket clutches have trouble "finding" 5th g

I just intalled an RPS clutch, and as a result, the tension in the left to right movement of my shift knob has been increased significantly. So now I have trouble determining how far right I have to go before I shift up to 5th gear. I keep overshooting, and going too far right (where the reverse is) and not being able to shift up. I have to constatly search for 5th gear before I can find it. Did the installer not adjust something correctly?
I'm no techy, but I had similiar problems, and then my gearing ended up to be stuck! Like lucky the gear it was stuck in was 2nd, so atleast I drove a little closer to the dealer...(1/2km..decided to stop and not risk any dmg to whatever that was making this) lol...Had to town the dam car to the dealership and what I was told was the "master cylinder" was gone!...Not sure if this helps in ur case.

We have 6 spd and Comptec Powergrip 2, no problem whatsoever with finding any gears (however, my left leg is twice the size of my right leg!!:biggrin:) Sounds like a install issue or clutch mastercylinder/slave cylinder problem, I would guess (stress word - guess!!:rolleyes: Just issue with one gear sounds more to be linkage or transmission related. Let us know what you find out.:smile:

The clutch itself has nothing to do with gate pressure of the shifter. You need to have the installer check the shift cables and how they enter the trans shift levels. That is all I can think of. Does the trans shift into all gears smoothly without fighting you into gear?

Regards,
LarryB

The clutch itself has nothing to do with gate pressure of the shifter. You need to have the installer check the shift cables and how they enter the trans shift levels. That is all I can think of. Does the trans shift into all gears smoothly without fighting you into gear?

Regards,
LarryB

Yes, it shifts into all gears smoothly -- even 5th gear, after I find it

I seem to be having the same problem finding 5th after doing a 5 to 6-speed swap (running RPS, BTW).

Did you ever figure out what the problem was?

No trouble getting into most gears, except 1st sometimes, but I have to search for 5th since the shifter appears to go too far too the right.

Sounds like the lockout solinoid isn't working.

Could you get reverse if you wanted whilst moving? (don't try & engage reverse)

My lockout switch hasn't been wired up yet, so theoretically, I should be able to get into reverse whilst in motion. Haven't experienced it yet though.

6th is easy to find once I find 5th. It's primarily that I need to hunt for 5th since the shifter tends to go past the 5th "gate".

Lockout switch could be the issue. Will find out tomorrow when it gets wired up.

Would appreciate any other ideas as well.

Last edited:

My 5->6 swap has none of the issues described below.

Just as a data point, my setup is:
Used 97 case (early 6 speed)
Completely rebuilt (new gears, snychros, seals, diff) to the later 6 speed triple synchro internals
New NSX-R input shaft
New Jun flywheel
New OE 5 speed clutch
New CT lockout box

I replaced the master and slave preventatively a couple years ago.

The Reverse lockout solinoid does like it says and prevents the shifter from traveling to far across the gate to allow you to engage 5th with no risk of engaging reverse.

It's obvious this is the problem you're having.

Regards,
LarryB

i was gonna say...

well ... it seems that my comptech box only works about 50% of the time and when it is not working it does this, i can feel how the shifter moves past the 5th gate ,thus making it difficult to find 5th .In the end i'll probably end up wiring the solenoid to the brake pedal and/or e-brake -shame i wasted money on comptech box!!!

Just an update. I picked the car up last night and it indeed was the lockout switch. Shifts just fine now. Thanks, all. :)

Back