Antenna retracting

there are plenty of people on this forum who know about this. i've already told you exactly what to look for in my first reply.

2 wires on the back

BLUE= POWER ANTENNA
BLUE/WHITE=AMP TURN ON

without knowing which you used and what wire its tied to in the car no on here can help you. either pull the radio out and give more info or take it to a shop.

a smartenna without either the FACTORY RADIO or an older alpine MBUS head unit is not going to work as it senses the signals in the changer cable that only works with those particular types of head unit.

there is no setting in the kenwood for controlling the antenna output other than when the fm is toggled on or off.

Last edited:
there is no setting in the kenwood for controlling the antenna output other than when the fm is toggled on or off.

Ok this helps. I didn't know that. I didn't wanna pull the radio again and start messing with wires if there may be a setting in this radio to control that. Looks like that's where I'm going with hit.

I'm checking on Wednesday. I'll keep you posted. I've got a good drive to Mid-Ohio on Thursday afternoon, and I don't want to make the trip with a pirate ship mast if I can help it. :wink:

Popped the head unit out. Everything hooked up correctly. Must have had a wire crushed or something. As SOON as the head unit was pulled out it started working correctly. Extra tape was put around the antenna wire, everything carefully slid back into place. All is well. Go Figure. :rolleyes:

My 94 NSX antenna goes up no matter if I am on CD or Radio. Isn't this the way it is suppossed to work? I'd love to have it retract when I plyed a CD.

Popped the head unit out. Everything hooked up correctly. Must have had a wire crushed or something. As SOON as the head unit was pulled out it started working correctly. Extra tape was put around the antenna wire, everything carefully slid back into place. All is well. Go Figure. :rolleyes:

My 94 NSX antenna goes up no matter if I am on CD or Radio. Isn't this the way it is suppossed to work? I'd love to have it retract when I plyed a CD.

Same here with my 2004. Antenna is up if the OEM headunit it turned on, even if I'm listening to a CD. I would love to have it go down and only go up for FM reception.

I simply unplugged the connector at the antenna. FM radio still works fine without the antenna up. The connector is located right next to the antenna; through the trunk, pull back the liner and there it is!

That's what SmarTenna does. I got one for my '94; works great.

I simply unplugged the connector at the antenna. FM radio still works fine without the antenna up. The connector is located right next to the antenna; through the trunk, pull back the liner and there it is!

There are two antennas; the tall retractable mast, and the one built in to the rear glass. Pulling the motor for the mast would work OK in a really flat area (like most of metropolitan Phoenix), but in an area with lots of hills and canyons (like the SF Bay Area) it would make for lousy reception.

But if all one listens to is CDs anyway, it makes sense to just unplug it.

Or get a SmarTenna :biggrin:

Or get a SmarTenna :biggrin:

Or put in a switch!

BLUE= POWER ANTENNA
BLUE/WHITE=AMP TURN ON

Can I get to the blue wire listed above without getting to the back of the head unit (like under the console somewhere)?

I am going to use the hole in my coin tray (from the phone de-install) for the switch

Back