• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Antenna Options?

Ok, I got the antenna in the mail today and will be installing it. I have to cut the power wire to the stock antenna and crimp it to the power wire for the aftermarket one, but I plan to cut it with alot of room so I can go back to the stock setup if needed.

mskrotzki said:
What is totally awsome in the TL is the 5.1 Audio DVD player. THAT should be in the NSX!

Someone on Prime has already done that. Had to cut the center console a little to make room for the two round knobs of head unit though. :eek:
I too have an 04 TL but wish there were more choices for DVD-A's. :frown:

Just finished installing the antenna and it looks great!! :biggrin: Reception is fine also. It is beyond me why Acura uses a big, bulky, telescoping antenna that is prone to breaking :confused: Removing the stock antenna was easy. Just undo the special nut on top of the antenna, remove the grommet, remove the carpet covering the assembly, unplug the wires, unscrew 3 bolts and pull the assembly out. The hard part was trying to get the nut of the new antenna screwed on. It is a tight space and the bolt coming out of the new antenna is somewhat small. I used a socket and 10" extention so finally get the nut screwed on. Be careful not to drop the nut because there is a chance of it falling into the hollow part of the fender. I tied fishing line to it so I could pull it out if it fell. Let me know if anyone wants to do this and has questions. I don't have my camera right now, but I'll post pics of how it looks soon.

Dracon said:
Just finished installing the antenna and it looks great!! :biggrin: Reception is fine also. It is beyond me why Acura uses a big, bulky, telescoping antenna that is prone to breaking :confused: Removing the stock antenna was easy. Just undo the special nut on top of the antenna, remove the grommet, remove the carpet covering the assembly, unplug the wires, unscrew 3 bolts and pull the assembly out. The hard part was trying to get the nut of the new antenna screwed on. It is a tight space and the bolt coming out of the new antenna is somewhat small. I used a socket and 10" extention so finally get the nut screwed on. Be careful not to drop the nut because there is a chance of it falling into the hollow part of the fender. I tied fishing line to it so I could pull it out if it fell. Let me know if anyone wants to do this and has questions. I don't have my camera right now, but I'll post pics of how it looks soon.
I would like to see the end result. I too am considering changing to a smaller design antenna. Kinda sounds like this one is almost plug-n-play.

i also have the locustom antenna and would reccomend it to anyone!! I actually just was telling a fellow primer last weekend at a show about this company. Ive had mine in my midnight pearl for almost 7 months now and its awesome.
Almost identical to s2000, but very easy to install and much cheaper. This antenna is plug and play whereas i didnt cut the white/pink wire off the plug that goes into the stock antenna, just used a connector to splice in.
That way if i ever want my oem antenna back, simply bolt it up and plug it back in.

Chris

Pics are in :biggrin:

rznsx8.jpg

rznsx9.jpg

What does the OEM antenna assembly weigh? I plan to just run an antenna wire along the inside (probably up the A-pillar) for good reception. Sounds like a three-for-one project:
  1. Improved aesthetics (no more extending antenna)
  2. Cost savings (no Smartenna needed, no S2000 antenna needed, and avoiding a repair cost for a potential broken antenna motor)
  3. Weight savings (every couple pounds helps)

Yes, weight savings is decent. The stock unit is somewhat bulky. I just plugged it into the stock antenna wire and spliced the stock power wire. I am very impressed with reception. I drove 45 minutes into the rocky mountains and still got full reception :eek: The new unit looks much more up to date also.

Having seen the S2000 mod in person, I'd have to say it's a HUGE improvement over the OEM, and looks very modern. No offense intended to those who prefer the OEM antenna but it looks like a fishing rod. :p

The OEM antenna looks bad when its up. The S2000 antenna looks bad all the time.

I don't understand:

1. Why Honda couldn't use an in-the-glass antenna
2. Why they couldn't mount the key hole by the door handle instead of in the middle of the door.

The NSX is made to the highest quality standards in the world. Now to all those people who don't like the NSX OEM antenna.... Honda did it for a reason.

Having asked around the car audio industry (here in Australia) about the S2000 aerial vs NSX OEM aerial... The experts have advised me that the best aerial for reception is still the big metal antenna whether it be electric or manual.

The new rubber type (like the S2000) and the "shark fin" aerial used in europe are fine in close proximity to the signal but rapidly loose reception outside the city and are more prone to localised interference and reception loss in the city.

So, I am not advocating that everyone should keep the OEM antenna... I am simply saying that the OEM antenna is still the best in the industry for reception. So it is in keeping with what the NSX represents...

Re: Antenna Options v. 'cherman engineering

Jim said:
My BMW E46 comes has a small rubber antenna on the roof (about 3-4"?). I like it because it's very short and always gave great reception.

Here's a pic I found as an example:
Photo006.jpg

I wouldn't mind this on my black NSX. It would be less noticeable than the stock antenna.

if this is yr 99/00, that stub is designed
for on board cell phone....
antenna is found in glass

i like this s2000 mod a lot :smile:

Re: Antenna Options v. 'cherman engineering

I just got the Shark Attack II antenna from Ebay and installed it just now. Turns out that the "Shark Attack II" is in fact a Universal roof mount antenna by Metra (they are a company that makes car audio installation kits). Part number is 44-UA46, but I did a search and the Ebay site seems to be the cheapest and easiest way to get them.

I haven't tried out its reception yet, but I'm assuming it'll work well fine since I live in LA. One thing I like about this universal antenna is that you DO NOT have to cut anything. Its pretty much plug and play and fits perfectly in the stock antenna hole.

Lastly, I think it would have been a lot easier if I would have had a 7/8 socket handy for the underside mounting bolt. Unfortunately for me, the largest socket I had was a 13/16th. =/

Yea, I went and bought a new socket because I was having trouble with the nut. The day after I installed it I drove up 45 minutes into the mountains and still got fine reception. I would even say it was better then stock. For those of you who say Acura put that bulky antenna on there because its the highest of quality, I dont think that holds true anymore.

Dracon said:
Yea, I went and bought a new socket because I was having trouble with the nut. The day after I installed it I drove up 45 minutes into the mountains and still got fine reception. I would even say it was better then stock. For those of you who say Acura put that bulky antenna on there because its the highest of quality, I dont think that holds true anymore.

I have a Jetta that uses a Fuba BetaFlex antenna thats at least twice as long. The Shark Attack antenna and the BetaFlex masts are actually interchangeable! I put on the Shark Attack mast in place of my BetaFlex and noticed only a slight degrading of FM quality on my Jetta, but nothing drastic. More testing to follow. . .

Dracon said:
For those of you who say Acura put that bulky antenna on there because its the highest of quality, I dont think that holds true anymore.
No it is a fact! Just ask any radio engineer.

It is possible however that your reception did improve by installing a new antenna.

This is possible by the addition of a signal amplifier, or more likely, your OEM antenna cable was suffering from signal loss through the degradation of the cable through oxidation.

This is common and it is also the reason car stereo installers recommend changing the speaker cables after a number of years...

Dracon said:
Yes, I believe the antenna I installed has a signal amplifier in the base.

Yes it does. Otherwise there would be no purpose to connecting a power wire to it.

Re: Antenna Options? QUESTION????

can anyone with this s2000 conversion give the size specs on the
antenna base??
looking to jigsaw this into my big heavy slowerdowner....wingwest spoiler

might look very cool :biggrin:

tia

Attachments

• DSC04630.JPG
    DSC04630.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 657
Back