Another Z-28 story

So I'm just tooling along in 3rd gear when a Z-28 with the required 2 rednecks comes up revving the engine. Noone in front of us for about 2 miles, dropped it in 2nd and left them. They pulled up about 2 miles down the road with the thumbs up. :biggrin:

Best ones are when they are in their raised pick up trucks and sit next to you at stop lights revving and spinning their tires. :rolleyes:

I know street racing is bad/evil/dangerous/etc etc, and I certainly dont condone it....BUT, I cant be the only one who likes to hear these kind of stories. How else do you guage other cars?:wink:

I'm just trying to figure out how a stock NSX "LEFT" a Z-28:rolleyes::confused:

maybe an ol school LT1 , but not a LS1.

I've raced many and if anything its a close race

I would have to agree.

I dunno, 3 years ago, I did pretty dang well against my buddy's last gen WS6. Don't know if I "left" him since I don't know what defines that, but I pulled a good 3 car lengths on him.

Did the same thing to another buddy's Mustang GT.

Last edited:

This sounds about right.

The highest HP rating for any Z28 was 325 bhp for the LS1 from 2001+ and with drivetrain loss typical of a big, American RWD car one could expect something in the realm of 250-260 whp from a 2001 Z28.

Of course there's a lot more torque which is going to help the Z28 quite a bit in the lower speeds.

I'd say a NA2 or bolt-on modded NA1 and a 2001 Z28 would be pretty evenly matched with the Z28 possibly coming out on top 0-60 and the NSX winning the 1/4 mile.

Last edited:
The last time a Z-28 driver tried to race me, I just let him go. Good thing, too, otherwise I never would have noticed the oversized plastic testicles hanging off the back of his car.

Talk about classy, eh?

Nick

Have to say, usually never do this, but downshifted to 2nd in vtec range, just couldn't keep my foot off the gas, course it was for a very short stint.:biggrin:

I am an old school guy and remember the first generation Z-28s. They had a 302 CI engine with dual four barrel carbs. on a cross ram intake. The block was a 350 and it used a 283 crank. It was designed for Trans Am racing. Like the NSX, it too red lined at 8200rpm. Pretty awsome considering it was a V-8. Not bad at all for 60's technology. Jerry

This sounds about right.

The highest HP rating for any Z28 was 325 bhp for the LS1 from 2001+ and with drivetrain loss typical of a big, American RWD car one could expect something in the realm of 250-260 whp from a 2001 Z28.

Of course there's a lot more torque which is going to help the Z28 quite a bit in the lower speeds.

I'd say a NA2 or bolt-on modded NA1 and a 2001 Z28 would be pretty evenly matched with the Z28 possibly coming out on top 0-60 and the NSX winning the 1/4 mile.

sorry to burst your bubble nsxgms, but the ls1's dynos 280-300whp stock. They were very underrated from the factory. a NA2 will give them a good run stock for stock.

The best part of the day was when a guy and his gf/wife came up beside me at the red light in a buick century and revved the engine, we both laughed. Amazing how much attention this thing gets everytime I go somewhere, and not just the racer-boy crowd. Not bad for an 8 yo car.:biggrin:

Last edited:
Not on a public street with innocent people around that don't care anything about you seeing 'open the car up a bit'. Who are you trying to impress?

Would it be any different there was no one else around on this public road other than these two cars?

And just out of curiosity, have you ever broke the speed limit in your car on a public road? Because I had been threatened by local law enforcement that they'd write me a ticket for street racing and other offenses, then impound my car for 30 days. What I did was line up at the light next to 2 vehicles. Light flicked green and I absolutely BLEW their doors off, I never even broke the speed limit or traction. The cop then flipped a U and chased me down. How lame.

Last edited:
Back