Another Scam on Autotrader - '96 VIN JH4NA1186TT000258

Good find. I can't believe there are this many scams out there! Do you work for Autotrader? They should be paying you to find these for them. :biggrin:

nsxtasy said:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=174337497

e-mail the seller and he will claim that the car is "in Spain". Yeah, right. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know who is really selling this car, so that we can have the true owner notify Autotrader to have the listing removed?

nsxtasy another one for the month of november? (scam) u got a good eye on these kind of things/ good job!!! :biggrin:

I heard about it in a PM from another NSXprime member. I'll be happy to give him credit if he would like me to reveal who this is.

White92 said:
Do you work for Autotrader?
Heck no! If I did, I would have the listing deleted and put their fraud people on the case!

I emailed AutoTrader....it worked last time :)

My message to the scammer:
Don't try to scam people online - the FBI has been notified, along with the fraud division of AutoTrader (who happens to have your credit card information). Have fun with that

We make a pretty good team, NSXtasy :D

nsxtasy said:
I heard about it in a PM from another NSXprime member. I'll be happy to give him credit if he would like me to reveal who this is.
poet_x is the one who brought this listing to my attention, so give him the credit for finding it, not me. He has contacted the scammer via e-mail and will let us know what he finds out.

Got an email back from the AutoTrader guys:

Dear Tyler,

Thank you for reporting your security concerns. We take your security seriously
and will investigate your complaint right away. On the behalf of our staff, I'm
sorry you experienced any problems related to our service.

I can tell you that our security team constantly reviews our site for suspicious
activity and uses filters to block deceptive email and spam from going to our
customers. Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to identify and stop all
fraudulent buyers or sellers. The best prevention is using your own good
judgment and being aware of the signs of fraud. Find out more below.

=========================================================================
How You Can Prevent Fraud

* Please review our Fraud Awareness Tips so you know the signs of
fraud.

* Sellers, copy and paste the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/research/...icle_id=12125&refpage=buyingtips&restype=used

* Buyers, copy and paste the link below:
http://www.autotrader.com/research/...icle_id=12124&refpage=buyingtips&restype=used

* Links to Fraud Awareness Tips are also available on the main Home Page
and areas of the site where a seller's contact information is displayed. They
are also attached to all the emails that are sent to Sellers directly from the
site.

* Be particularly cautious if you receive email from us encouraging you
to complete a
sale. We never get involved in buyer-seller transactions and it is probably a
spoof.

* Fully check out any third-party agent, such as an escrow service, on
your own. We do
not endorse any escrow services.

* Continue to report any suspicious activity right away to us as well
as the appropriate
authorities. You can file a complaint with the Internet Fraud Complaint Center
(IFCC)
at: http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp.

=========================================================================

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience this incident may have caused you. And
thank you for helping us fight fraud. Please contact us if you have any
questions or concerns.

You can email us at [email protected] or call us Monday-Friday 8
a.m.-8 p.m. EST at 1-888-512-0094.

Thank you for using AutoTrader.com,
Tommy Flanagan
AutoTrader.com Customer Support
888-512-0094

I don't know if the ad has been changed, but what do you see that looks odd on this other than the weird phone number. (you can see that on the main add though) It makes no mention of Spain or any info on the seller. It's not that I have doubts, I just want to make sure that I know what to look for.

jlindy said:
I don't know if the ad has been changed, but what do you see that looks odd on this other than the weird phone number. (you can see that on the main add though) It makes no mention of Spain or any info on the seller. It's not that I have doubts, I just want to make sure that I know what to look for.
The ad has been changed (and, in fact, it isn't listed if you do a search on 1996 NSXs, only if you link directly to the ad). It was originally posted with an asking price of $5,995.

Prices that are ridiculously low often indicate a scam. As I have stated in the past, if the scammers got smart enough to ask a price high enough to just sound like a good bargain instead of a scam, they could be a lot more successful.

The seller located in Spain was not originally in the ad; it was in an e-mail the seller sent to poet_x.

The best way to verify that a car is in the possession of the seller, without incurring travel expenses, is to arrange for an inspection by someone who is already located in the area of the car. This should be someone reliable, such as an Acura dealer, a recommended experienced independent NSX mechanic, or a local long-time NSXprime member whose opinion you can count on.

If you're in North America, and the seller claims that the car is in Europe, I wouldn't even continue the conversation. I'm not saying that cars never cross the Atlantic Ocean, but it's exceedingly rare, the international aspect creates far greater risk and far less recourse if anything goes wrong, and there are a lot more NSXs here so there should be no reason to buy one from over there. If you think you can get the bargain of the century by doing so, keep in mind that con men are often successful because they take advantage of the desire of potential buyers to believe that something that sounds too good to be true will happen to them, to the degree that their common sense is blinded.

nsxtasy said:
The ad has been changed (and, in fact, it isn't listed if you do a search on 1996 NSXs, only if you link directly to the ad). It was originally posted with an asking price of $5,995.

That makes complete sense. The ad doesn't show that now. :smile:

Gee he just got back to me. He can't even keep how much he wants for the car strait.

this is an email from him.

Sorry for delay, I was out of town,
The car is in perfect condition, has never been involved in accidents,
the engine is in perfect condition,non smoked.
I look for 14200$.
I am selling it because I want to open a new business and I need any extra funds I can get for the moment.
I will need your zip code so I can estimate shipping costs ,
and I will inform you the payment procedure,
I request a deposit from security reasons, and the remainder balance upon inspection.
Get back as soon as possible because I want to get the ball rolling,
Best Wishes,
Justin Petterson

[email protected] wrote:
Cars.com Selling Tip: Don't fall for common Internet scams

- Do not accept certified checks for more than your asking price
- Do not accept a deal that requires you to wire money to buyer
- Use only reputable, well-known escrow Web sites that YOU designate

For more tips, visit http://siy.cars.com/safeselling

Dear mr:

This message is a request for more information from sharee wolff, who is interested in the 1991 Acura NSX you advertised on cars.com. Please respond to this customer via email as soon as possible.

CUSTOMER INFORMATION
Preferred Contact Method: email
Name: sharee wolff
Address:
E-Mail: [email protected]
Zip code: 60401
Daytime Phone: 708-751-0093
Evening Phone:
Comments:

REQUESTED VEHICLE
Make: Acura
Model: NSX
Year: 1991
Trim:
Price: $7,500
Description: Red 2DR Coupe, 96000 Miles, Manual Transmission, 2WD, 6 Cylinders, Good Condition. ONE OWNER, RUST FREE, COMPLETE SERVICE HISTORY,NSX,LQQK 12 recent pictures.ONE OWNER UNMOLESTED 1991 ACURA NSX.
THIS CAR HAS A GREAT STORY,
IT WAS BOUGHT NEW BY A PLASTIC SURGEON IN NEW MEXICO AND SERVICED IT ONLY AT THE ACURA DEALER.
HE THEN MOVED TO SCOTTSDALE,
ARIZONA AND RELIGIOUSLY SERVICED IT AT THE ACURA DEALER HERE.
THE TIMING BELTS AND WATER PUMP WERE REPLACED AT 85,000 MILES.
WE HAVE ALL THE RECORDS INCLUDING THE 30,000 AND 60,000 SERVICES.
THE CAR WAS TRADED IN AT THE LOCAL MERCEDES DEALERSHIP FOR A 2002 NSX THEY HAD ON THE LOT.
THE SERVICE MANAGER AT THE MERCEDES DEALERSHIP PROMPTLY BOUGHT THE CAR THAT SAME DAY DUE TO
A MID LIFE CRISES THAT LASTED ONLY 6 MONTHS AND THEN WE WERE BLESSED WITH IT.
TOTALLY ACCIDENT FREE, TOTALLY RUST FREE, TOTALLY STOCK AND NEVER ABUSED, MOLESTED,
OR RACED!!!! THE ONLY THING DONE TO THE CAR IS THE ROOF WAS PAINTED TO MATCH THE CAR FOR A LATER MODEL YEAR LOOK.
LOW PRICE TO INSURE A FAST SALE. IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS....

If you have sold this vehicle or wish to edit your ad, visit your cars.com My Ads page at:
http://siy.cars.com/siy/myads

Please reply directly to the consumer's email address, as messages sent back to cars.com will not be routed to the prospective buyer.

Thank you for using cars.com.

Sincerely,
cars.com Customer Service
http://www.cars.com/
[email protected]

I just got an email today (9/19) from the guy who is selling the 1996 Acura for $7500 ! Here it is:

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in purchasing my car(1996 Acura NSX,Coupe Sport,Black,Used 37000 Miles).
I have worked in USA in a military base for the past 6 months and I purchased the car there.
My company wanted me back home,so currently I'm in UK.
I didn't bring it home with me because the car's steering wheel is on the left side,and so
it's difficult driving it around the UK.
The vehicle is in good condition, has no technical damage at all, no scratches or dents, no
hidden defects, no smoking, remaining warranty available.
Buy it now price is 7,500 USD (including shipping&insurance taxes).
It's fun and robust to drive.Technical inspection and emissions testing is passed and
stamped as well.It has title of ownership,cleared of any obligations or fees and comes with all the
documents you need to register it.
The car is now located at the AutoTrader.com warehouse in Denver, Colorado.
The car will be shipped and insured by AutoTrader.com and Square Trade.
AutoTrader.com will act as a 3rd party for our transaction.
You will not have to pay additional taxes for this. To be able to receive or pick up the
car you'll have to make a $3,000 deposit.
After you inspect the car if anything seems wrong you'll be able to receive a refund from AutoTrader.com.
Please send me your full name and shipping address to forward them to AutoTrader.com.
They will contact you with all the information you need (transaction details,invoice,payment instructions,etc).
Thanks for your interest,please feel free to email me any questions or concerns you may have.
Respectfully,
Jerry Rien

His email is [email protected]

Back