Another interesting piece of info on the Spoon R

Well but Spoon is offering more OEM stuff than SOS can get a hold of is why I ask. SOS can't offer anything close to what Spoon is selling at this point or are they? I checked the website and I don't see a lot of NSX-R stuff:confused:

Like what? What is Spoon adding that you can't get from Honda Japan or in the used market?

Type R Brakes? Nope Spoon front and AP rear.
Type R Suspension? Nope. Spoon is using Tein
Type R Engine? Nope. Spoon blueprinted and/or Turbo

I would rather have a Type R'ish replica built with a LoveFab Turbo.

For 1/2 the price I could build a car with what I thought was the best stuff. There are alot of things out there that are better than the Type R stuff.
Type R brakes (they are the same as 91 fronts and 97+ rears). Brembo or Stoptech brakes.
Type R wheels - who cares, powder coat the 02 wheels as weight isn't much of an issue with 460 hp.
Type R suspension? JRZ tripples with 600/500 springs.

Last edited:
Like what? What is Spoon adding that you can't get from Honda Japan or in the used market?

Type R Brakes? Nope Spoon front and AP rear.
Type R Suspension? Nope. Spoon is using Tein
Type R Engine? Nope. Spoon blueprinted and/or Turbo

I would rather have a Type R'ish replica built with a LoveFab Turbo.

For 1/2 the price I could build a car with what I thought was the best stuff. There are alot of things out there that are better than the Type R stuff.
Type R brakes (they are the same as 91 fronts and 97+ rears). Brembo or Stoptech brakes.
Type R wheels - who cares, powder coat the 02 wheels as weight isn't much of an issue with 460 hp.
Type R suspension? JRZ tripples with 600/500 springs.

You can have the Type R brakes , Suspension ( No Spoon has their own suspension ) Type R engine is just a blue printed and balanced NSX engine.

Plus your getting the NSX-R interior stuff , ECU and diff which don't work on our cars ( or at least no one has been able to get them to work. Oh yeah plus this is a brand new car.

For power you can get the 3.5 engine and have it turbo'd plus the Spoon car has an additional 3000 additional points of reinforcement to the body and chassis ( never heard of SOS doing anything like that ) light weight alternator . Oh yeah Spoon replaces all steel bolts with titanium ones. The Spoon would have a weight of less than 2500 lbs.

I like SOS too but a Spoon car is going to kick the ass of what your talking about having them build even with the Lovefab.

it is not a brand new car. (parts like door panels are re - used)
na2 type r's had a unique rubbery material for the dash and door panels. I am not sure but i don't think the spoon car has the right material here.
all of the bolts are not titanium.. some might be. but there is no way they all are and if they were it would be a problem. the bolts on your nsx have a special coating to prevent electrolisys of dissimilar metal
i see aftermarket front and rear bumpers, wrong side vents etc.

Too me the more i think about this the less sense unfortuntaly it is making.

also,
when i bought my type r parts i had no problem getting the following. you can order them today, you just need to be willing to forget the cost.
na2 type r hood, screen gasket
na2 type r gauges, shift lights etc
Na2 type r pedals, steering wheel hub, shift knob, shift boot etc
na2 type r seats, power rails, seatbelt receivers (they are different)
Na2 type r engine cover etc
then for left hand drive we are better off with procar cf 1X1 radiator duct and cf rear diffusser

i didn't try getting the ecu .. becuase i learned from vance that it wouldn't work and i already had a solution to get my shift lights working like oem and my car is supercharged.

also i didn't want the typ r suspension (too harsh and not adjustable for compression, rebound, and ride height like what i did use.) and rather went with the brembo billet gtr brakes and forged volk wheels that fit the big brakes with no spacers. OEM type r wheels would have needed spacers and extra long studs. and if you don't have a big brake kit then you don't need tospace out the oem type r wheels but they still sit 1" too far inside the fenders and don't look right. (especially when the car is lowered)

i think the bottom line for me is i wanted the type r exterior look with oem honda cf parts, an oem type r interior but more power and higher end exhaust (arc titanium) wheels and brakes. the problem with the spoon is it doesnt start with the type r look (looks more nsx r gt which too me is less desirable) doesn't appear to be using all oem parts and comes at a cost simliar to what i spendt on my car, where i was able to get the OEM honda type r components and higher quality components (brakes, supercharger, header, titanium exhaust, race suspension etc)

i am actually happier now with my car, after seeing the spoon.

Last edited:
it is not a brand new car. (parts like door panels are re - used)
na2 type r's had a unique rubbery material for the dash and door panels. I am not sure but i don't think the spoon car has the right material here.
all of the bolts are not titanium.. some might be. but there is no way they all are and if they were it would be a problem. the bolts on your nsx have a special coating to prevent electrolisys of dissimilar metal
i see aftermarket front and rear bumpers, wrong side vents etc.

Too me the more i think about this the less sense unfortuntaly it is making.

also,
when i bought my type r parts i had no problem getting the following. you can order them today, you just need to be willing to forget the cost.
na2 type r hood, screen gasket
na2 type r gauges, shift lights etc
Na2 type r pedals, steering wheel hub, shift knob, shift boot etc
na2 type r seats, power rails, seatbelt receivers (they are different)
Na2 type r engine cover etc
then for left hand drive we are better off with procar cf 1X1 radiator duct and cf rear diffusser

i didn't try getting the ecu .. becuase i learned from vance that it wouldn't work and i already had a solution to get my shift lights working like oem and my car is supercharged.

also i didn't want the typ r suspension (too harsh and not adjustable for compression, rebound, and ride height like what i did use.) and rather went with the brembo billet gtr brakes and forged volk wheels that fit the big brakes with no spacers. OEM type r wheels would have needed spacers and extra long studs. and if you don't have a big brake kit then you don't need tospace out the oem type r wheels but they still sit 1" too far inside the fenders and don't look right. (especially when the car is lowered)

i think the bottom line for me is i wanted the type r exterior look with oem honda cf parts, an oem type r interior but more power and higher end exhaust (arc titanium) wheels and brakes. the problem with the spoon is it doesnt start with the type r look (looks more nsx r gt which too me is less desirable) doesn't appear to be using all oem parts and comes at a cost simliar to what i spendt on my car, where i was able to get the OEM honda type r components and higher quality components (brakes, supercharger, header, titanium exhaust, race suspension etc)

i am actually happier now with my car, after seeing the spoon.

If you look at the vid you can see the door panels aren't used. Your right probably not all steel bolts but enough to save weight.

Yeah I'm thinking for anyone who has done the conversion that's about what they spent. Is your R conversion a coupe or T?

It's funny how so many talk about the R parts it doesn't have but most of us would replace those anyway.

None of you like the idea of all the additional chassis reinforcement or lighter weight:confused: Thats weird because with the extra power you all want a stiffer chassis/body would make it drive and handle so much better plus the weight loss by itself will make it so much better in the turns. Seriously how do you guys just gloss over a 400+lb weight loss:confused:

wingz

answers to your questions
my na2 nsx is a targa, i would prefer a coupe if one could magically appear, but my bigger priority was starting with a na2 nsx that had no miles, never seen rain and was white with onyx interior. (less then 5 of these made per year and i don't think any coupe were made this way. ) there was a 2001 white / tan coupe that white nsx's bought a few months ago (that i almost bought 3 years ago in new jersey to change the interior and convert to na2 type r.. it would have been a shame to not keep that one stock.

on to weight savings.
my car has procar bumper beams that shave a lot of weight.
i also deleted the wipers, wiper moters, windshield washer resevour.
my billet gtr brakes saved 10lbs of unsprung weight per corner as did my aluminum adjustable suspension. I have not weighed my car, but it is easily 300lbs lighter then stock and has 367 rwhp. it is not the worlds fastest nsx by any strech, but serioriously it has MORE power then i can use.

on the chassis reinforcements. do you really think that they reinforced the chassis in 3000 places? I have drivien a coupe nsx and honestly i don't see the need to make the chassis any more stiff-- think about your 08 s2000 (i have one too) the chassis is perfectly stiff, any more reinforcements are unecessary as i cannot tell the difference honestly i wish my nsx was more ridgid, but i only notice the flex going up steep inclinces at great angles.

i do hope you get a spoon type r as i would love to see it and admire it. this is a lot of speculation based on limited information and only a few pics.

The Spoon would have a weight of less than 2500 lbs.

If you actually think the Spoon car as delivered, will be less than 2500 lbs, then please pass what ever you are smoking because I would like some too. :tongue: You have to strip an NSX of a/c, heat, interior and other HEAVY items to even break 2700 lbs. Replacing seats and hoods and other panels nets you lbs not 10 and 100s of lbs.

3000 chassis reinforcement spots? I don't think I even have have spots to put 300 boogers, yet alone 3000. Someone is feeding you crap. Then NSX-R GT went for $500k and didn't have this Spoon magic reinforcements. Let me know when they start because I have free airfare and want to come watch and count them put 3000 chassis reinforcement spots.

I would buy a Spoon NSX-R for $70-80k but I am not going to buy a rebuilt NSX for $150k unless it has $70k worth of weed in the trunk.

Last edited:
You have two NSXs though right?

I saw a couple of small ( :mad: ) pics and your car is just gorgeous!

I was thinking about the Procar beams do you know about how much weight the save? 300lbs savings is fantastic. I'm still trying to get there.

Well since they race NSXs yes I do think they strengthened the chassis up that much. Things like that and the additional weight savings are telling me that Spoon made this to be a superior track car to the NSX-R and used their race experience to strengthen the OEM R weakness.

I completely agree for guys who won't track it shouldn't consider it. The SOS comparison though is invalid as SOS does not have Spoons NSX racing experience and therefore can't build an equivalent car. They can make you something that handles better and is faster than a stock NSX for sure but Spoon is at least making sure to balance the cars handling , suspension and power something SOS doesn't do.

I'm really still on the fence plus don't have the extra bread for it anyway ,but people are really over looking the Spoons strong points. A lot of work is going into making each of these cars if they take 3mos to build and quite a bit of detail:wink:

If you actually think the Spoon car as delivered, will be less than 2500 lbs, then please pass what ever you are smoking because I would like some too. :tongue: You have to strip an NSX of a/c, heat, interior and other HEAVY items to even break 2700 lbs. Replacing seats and hoods and other panels nets you lbs not 10 and 100s of lbs.

3000 chassis reinforcement spots? I don't think I even have have spots to put 300 boogers, yet alone 3000. Someone is feeding you crap. Then NSX-R GT went for $500k and didn't have this Spoon magic reinforcements. Let me know when they start because I have free airfare and want to come watch and count them put 3000 chassis reinforcement spots.

I would buy a Spoon NSX-R for $70-80k but I am not going to buy a rebuilt NSX for $150k unless it has $70k worth of weed in the trunk.

LOL Not smoking anything Cap'n:biggrin: You have seen the vid and it's under 2500lbs ( about 2425 according to Spoon )with a/c but no stereo.

That's one of things about having a race car company who races a car build one as apparently they got skillz. Hey if you wanna fly over there and watch be my guest and take plenty of good pics.

Oh yeah it's $125 not $150. Hell $70-80k is what a stock NSX ran you want all the goodies for stock price ??? Come on man what are smoking:biggrin:

How is it a rebuilt NSX??

I just threw SOS out there for a rough comparison. I guess Driving Ambition would be a better comparison for racing purposes. Edmun told me that the chassis are 91-92. I'll buy a nice 91-92 example for $30-$35k. Then send it to Driving Ambition with a $90-95k open checkbook. Now I just need $125k! :biggrin:

They can make you something that handles better and is faster than a stock NSX for sure but Spoon is at least making sure to balance the cars handling , suspension and power something SOS doesn't do.

I'm not sure I understand. Both SOS and Driving Ambition can produce an NSX that would be just as, if not better, high performing as the Spoon car. Handling can be much better on track with just the installation of some double Motons. Power is just a stroker or turbo away. If you want balance b/t those two characteristics, who says SOS or another US vendor couldn't do it?

The attraction of the Spoon creation is their ability to get NSX-R parts and produce as close to a genuine article NSX-R as we can get in the States.

Don't get me wrong, the Spoon car is great and all but not something that can't be duplicated or bettered by a US based vendor.

I just threw SOS out there for a rough comparison. I guess Driving Ambition would be a better comparison for racing purposes. Edmun told me that the chassis are 91-92. I'll buy a nice 91-92 example for $30-$35k. Then send it to Driving Ambition with a $90-95k open checkbook. Now I just need $125k! :biggrin:

Well ok how about you check with them and ask them what it would cost to do something like this.

A nice example vs a brand new... hmm sounds like were going back to the new vs used discussion and to that I say it's your money be happy.

I'm not sure I understand. Both SOS and Driving Ambition can produce an NSX that would be just as, if not better, high performing as the Spoon car. Handling can be much better on track with just the installation of some double Motons. Power is just a stroker or turbo away. If you want balance b/t those two characteristics, who says SOS or another US vendor couldn't do it?

The attraction of the Spoon creation is their ability to get NSX-R parts and produce as close to a genuine article NSX-R as we can get in the States.

Don't get me wrong, the Spoon car is great and all but not something that can't be duplicated or bettered by a US based vendor.

Let start this reply by saying I buy stuff from SOS and I have no problems with them. I also appreciate their support to our community. I've only seen a few things from Driving Ambition but have nothing bad to say about them either.

With that said maybe I don't understand why people are critical of a company who has a good enough relationship with Honda that they were able to secure brand new ( albeit older NA1 ) chassis from them. Next up it's a brand new modified engine that's turning out 30 hp more than what Honda rated the C30A and thats with the factory exhaust on it. You can also get a C32B and a 3.5L from them as well. All this is new hand assembled from the ground up ( of course there's the inside door panel controversy :wink:).

They sell this with more NA2 R parts than the $59k list showing that's been seen on Prime. Included are additional racing enhancements and strengthening ( That the good Captain doubts ) Oh yeah and a warranty on the engine and trans for 2yrs or 100k just in case something happens ( not sure what kind of warranty and length either SOS or DA give you ).

All this has to cost something and the more I think about it it's apparent that they're not gouging us ( especially when you look at the exchange rate ) and it's constant criticism or "I can do it for less"

With the exception of myself I feel sorry for anyone who buys the Spoon because it's been devalued before it could even prove itself.

As far as being duplicated or bettered could someone ask SOS or DA if given just a base chassis and an open check book how much would they charge to build something like the Spoon with brand new engine and all new parts including the NA2 NSX-R parts that Spoon is using ( oh yeah except the door panels :wink: ) and how long it would take. Plus if/how long of a warranty they could offer on any of these parts.

With that said maybe I don't understand why people are critical of a company who has a good enough relationship with Honda...

I, for one, am not trying to be critical but balanced. I don't think the car deserves such a rigorous defense just b/c it has the Spoon name and some NSX-R parts. It's a great car from a great company. But still nothing that can't be duplicated or improved upon.

If you end up buying one, I'll be the first to congratulate you. ;)

I, for one, am not trying to be critical but balanced. I don't think the car deserves such a rigorous defense just b/c it has the Spoon name and some NSX-R parts. It's a great car from a great company. But still nothing that can't be duplicated or improved upon.

If you end up buying one, I'll be the first to congratulate you. ;)

You could put any companys name on it if the end product is the same. I'm not a Spoon fanboy by the way it's just that no one else is doing this or attempted a project like this. Of course anything linked with the NSX or Honda sports seems destined to fail.

If I did I wouldn't tell anyone ..LOL

Oh yeah and a warranty on the engine and trans for 2yrs or 100k just in case something happens ( not sure what kind of warranty and length either SOS or DA give you ).

Who honors this warranty? The closest Spoon dealer is 8000 miles from my house. I don't suppose they have a courtesy shuttle either. :rolleyes:

I think you see SPOON and get a woody!

Last edited:
Who honors this warranty? The closest Spoon dealer is 8000 miles from my house. I don't suppose they have a courtesy shuttle either. :rolleyes:

I think you see SPOON and get a woody!

LOL I've had two Spoon parts my entire my life I'm so not a fanboy. The light weight does however give a rise in my shorts.

Apparently Spoon does and if they offer it they must have some way of honoring it.

Not sure why you pulled the Comptech part out but if they were offering the same thing why not.

Cap you just arguing to argue ..LOL

I do get it now though and understand anything having to do with the NSX needs to priced about $30-40K brand new with turbos and Motons, Brembos.

The 3000 additional weld points sound very suspicious. Here's why

The bare painted chassis is delivered from Honda to Spoon. As others have pointed out as well as Edmun, some of these chassis dated back to 1992. It is unlikely these chassis have the additional "3000" weld points.

If Spoon does the additional 3000 welds, then they just screwed up the Honda paint, primer, and corrosion resistant coating applied by Honda from the Honda factory. One does not weld unless you strip the paint and start over.

I've not seen a statement from Opak or Spoon stating additional 3000 weld points. Yes, it was printed by some writer but it was not confirmed.

If Spoon confirms this, I would ask where they are welding and are they welding on top of the pre-painted chassis.

I doubt the validity of this 3000 additional weld points. I think the writer meant to say the car comes with 3000 weld points period.

if they did any welding the chassis must be naked forcing spoon to paint it. there is a possibilty of using structural epoxies to strengthen the joints (but only externally). 3000 seems a bit suspicious.

The ECU is functional, excpet for the shift lights feature. That along is a whole other issue. It can be done, except... $$$

When I plugged the ECU in, the only issue I had was the temperature gauge wasn't working. I assumed it's because of the different wiring between the shift lights, tcs, and temp gauge.

The performance if the ECU is different. The throttle response is different.

Back