Another CGT wrecked!!!

Pics from Audi day at VIR.

1.jpg

OMG - crying! What gives? Is that track so difficult? Stupidity? :confused:

It looks like the Cobra was in group 3, the GT3 was in the instructor's group(?), and can't tell about the CGT.

I hope for the CGT owner that the damage is cosmetic. It would take a lot of JB Weld to glue on the CF rear clip!

I really don't know the story behind the wrecks. I was hoping some body from the east coast could chime in and give us the scoop.

oh mate... that's a sad sorry sight. :( Let this be a lesson though... when you see a sexy butt like the Carrera GT, LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH! :rolleyes: :D

That rear wheel on the GT3RS is bling. :p But again... such a waste. My porsche buddy will cry when he sees these... guess i should email him straight away. :D :D :D

Big Deal

So a Porsche smacked the wall.....big deal, yawn.

You think "they" have sympathy for "us" when an NSX smacks the wall? :frown:

Last edited:
I guess the topic's title is misleading - I wouldn't call the GT a wreck, it seems more like a little cosmetic damage - of course I can be wrong there...

edit: corrected typo a bit too late - my bad english is already spread as
quotes in this thread, bummer

Last edited:
I'd consider anything to do with a CGT being hurt a big deal. It's sad :frown: And what about his plate? that isnt a temporary is it? He didn't track it before he broke it in did he? :mad:

Last Saturday @ Road America, I was coming out of the carousel and aimed for track out (about 105 mph) and all of a sudden I saw this sitting in the middle of the track facing me with parts all over the place. The driver and passenger were motionless. (later found out that both had minor injuries) I hit the binders, and had to wave down a 911 turbo from rear ending me and the elise. Three of us made it by before the safety truck. Once it arrived, a pack of about 7 cars almost piled up. The flag station was AFTER the incident, and the previous station held a stationary yellow. Thw wreck was in a unfortunate location. All worked out, except for a totaled 2005 elise. :frown:

On a side note, I layed the "smack down" on Sunday in the wet! The NSX was awesome! I was going by 99% of the cars in the advanced group. It was slow as hell (plowing, and fishtailing, and a joke of a OEM TCS) in the turns, but all of the fast sections, it kicked ass! I was still able to hit 135mph in the wet :eek:

Plus anyone who thinks that the NSX OEM brakes (even with upgraded pads, 600 degree fluid AND ducting is "ok" for the track, must drive like a grandma.) The oem brakes EVEN with all of the upgrades sucked. I only would get about 17 minutes out of them before almost total failure. BUT on Sunday in the wet, there was not a brake issue, and the car shined! :biggrin:

Attachments

• elise2005.jpg
    elise2005.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 819
NSX-Racer said:
I guess the topic's title is misleading - I wouldn't call the GT a wreck, it seems more like a little cosmetic damage - off course I can be wrong there...

Cosmetic damage only to the CGT. Looks like it's just a bumper bar to me... Having said that, anyone hazard a guess what a CGT bumper and lights go for??? :eek:

The others though... The mustang and elise look wrecked to me... The Porsche GT3 looks expensive but repairable...

Great post!!! Thanks!

Last edited:
RP-Motorsports said:
...Plus anyone who thinks that the NSX OEM brakes (even with upgraded pads, 600 degree fluid AND ducting is "ok" for the track, must drive like a grandma.)...

You are welcome to your opinion about the OEM brakes for track use... but, you demonstrate inappropriate arrogance by slinging an insult at those that know how to use them. Granted, they're not gonna stand up to 60 minutes of race conditions, but for track enthusiast use, when well equipped, they perform very well. Still using OE calipers and rotor sizes, my 'grandma' butt gets around Road Atlanta in the low 1:40s and Sebring in the high 2:30s. And be assured, Sebring requires as much, or more, from brakes, as Road America...

Certainly, bigger brakes expand the envelope , but OE brakes, when well equipped and used properly, are capable of excellent performance.

RP-Motorsports said:
Last Saturday @ Road America, I was coming out of the carousel and aimed for track out (about 105 mph) and all of a sudden I saw this sitting in the middle of the track facing me with parts all over the place. The driver and passenger were motionless. (later found out that both had minor injuries) I hit the binders, and had to wave down a 911 turbo from rear ending me and the elise.
A bit off topic...

Tom -- I think I've seen this Elise (Exige?) at the Windy CCA events for at least 2-3 seasons now. Did he lose it at the exit of the kink ?? I'm assuming he straight-lined the chicane, pinched the kink and ran out of room on exit.

Hopefully the driver/instructor came out OK.

###########

Haven't driven Sebring enough times to know if its harder on brakes than Road America... do know that T5 and T12 (and T1) at RA are up there in the "hero braking" category. Suffice to say, both are hard on the equipment -- I think SIR is tougher (T1?) on the suspension (particularly under hard braking) due to all the uneven tarmac.

But hey -- maybe call me "granny" once in awhile too :) Everyone spent a couple of weekends there, some longer than others, right ?? :eek:

Re: Big Deal

AndyVecsey said:
So a Porsche smacked the wall.....big deal, yawn.

You think "they" have sympathy for "us" when an NSX smacks the wall? :frown:

.....and one wonders why Andy has been put on the 'Prime "Do not call" list:D

and if you cannot last more than 17 minutes with stock brakes on any track, then you need some instruction on proper braking techniques. Less brake, more gas is what I live by:D

no Gary,,,more cow bell! :tongue:

I doubt that Carrera GT is totalled!

docjohn said:
no Gary,,,more cow bell! :tongue:

Is she stump trained:D

I would agree that the CGT isn't totaled, but I would bet it will cost more to fix it then any of the other cars in this thread! :eek:

I saw one that was rear-ended just leaving the dealership with what looked like no more damage than this one and it was 140K to fix!

Carguy! said:
I would agree that the CGT isn't totaled, but I would bet it will cost more to fix it then any of the other cars in this thread! :eek:

I saw one that was rear-ended just leaving the dealership with what looked like no more damage than this one and it was 140K to fix!

It would cost more to fix than probably any car on this thread is worth !! Mine included. :frown:

Carguy,
How are you liking yours? Do you think you will ever get a Ford GT now?

Actually, I wouldn't say that it's just cosmetic damage. The rear diffuser on that Carrera GT is totally smashed up. The rear diffusor on a CGT is a very solid and important carbon fiber aerodynamic aid. I wouldn't be suprised if the diffusor itself ran close to (or much greater than) $12k for a replacement.

92NSX said:
It would cost more to fix than probably any car on this thread is worth !! Mine included. :frown:

Carguy,
How are you liking yours? Do you think you will ever get a Ford GT now?

I love my CGT!!! I don't want to drive anything else, unfortunately with Michigan weather I have to drive other vehicles also.

The dealer that I was going to buy the Ford GT from decided to try and charge me more than list price so I declined on buying the car. The price on the GT's are dropping like a rock and are expected to be down to MSRP by August so it is probably better that I didn't buy it even at MSRP.

Back