Annandale, NJ - How is it?

MJK

Legendary Member
Hi All,

I have recently become dissatisfied with my current employer and am considering a position in Annandale NJ. Can anyone give impressions of the area? Where are some good (reasonably urban) places to live in the area? It seems that living either in NJ or PA would be an option. Any cost of living differences I should be aware of?

I moved to TN from Ridgewood, NJ so any comparisons to there would also be great.

Thanks,
Mark

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 244
where is annadale? i can't see it on the map. is that more of central jersey? i'm from south jersey. but i have some ideas of central/north jersey. they have really nice areas. my friend lives up at new brunswick. that place is pretty nice. piscataway/edison area. then there's north jersey. i've heard bergen county was OK... my aunt lives in union which is OK as well. but i've heard good thiings of edison/piscataway. if you're looking for more south... mt holly, mt laurel, morristown are nice. really ritzy places.

stay away from jersey city and newark. if you own a nsx, it'll probably get stolen or vandalized. also, jersey is the highest insurance for cars. =(

Hope I'm not too late with this response. But I work near Annandale (in Whitehouse Station) NJ and I think it's a very nice and safe place. It's not industrial at all. It's nothing like Newark or other bad areas in NJ. In fact, this area is mostly farmlands and small businesses. People around here seem to have $$ and I do see lots of nice cars around here... including NSXs.

azndng said:
... if you're looking for more south... mt holly, mt laurel, morristown are nice. really ritzy places...

I have been to Mt. Holly, NJ and it did not seem to 'ritzy' to me. Actually, it seemed quite the opposite. Oh well....different frames of reference I guess.

it might not be REALY REALLY upscale, but its better then the majority of jersey. and by opposite, i highly doubt that. you may have your towns misread. my family has a business there so from the economic perspective, the town isn't "lacking" money.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I used to live in Bergen Co (Franklin Lakes), and really liked the area. I moved back to TN a couple years ago for a better job. It is getting time for another career move. One option is in Annandale. It looks like I would probably live in or around Allentown, PA for the cheaper insurance.

Annie94TT, if you work in Whitehouse Station then you likely work for the same person I used to. Did your company decided to spin off one of its major divisions (a PBM) in early 2002? If so, that is who I worked for in Franklin Lakes. Small world!

As an update, my company has annouced its intention to sell my division. This is twice in 3 years with 2 companies!

This time, I have an attractive buyout plan to stay until the sale (likely this summer). At that point, I am going to try and relocate to somewhere a bit more urban than west TN. I've done what I needed to for the resume here, and am looking to settling down somewhere that is a little closer to my preferred pace of life.

A friend and coworker ended up taking the job in Annandale (@ IR) that I was considering, so I still have an 'in' when the sale is complete. I will be looking there, as well as any other potential employers in the area. I'll keep you all posted as it develops.

If nothing else, hopefully I'll meet you all at Xpo?

Back