Angus Turbo Dynoed- 472HP- 365 Ft/lbs at 9psi

The truth is that one huge advanage of the FIC is that (while being cheaper - and easier to tune) The car will run like stock during idle , part throttle , cold starts , high altitude etc.

Anyone who has ever had a car with a standalone knows that this is invaluable.

With an EMS it will only do what you tell it to do , it needs every apect to be programmed into it.

The EMS has it's place as a very powerful engine management system for those looking to make big power , but I would say 99% of peoples' needs will be satsfied with FIC.

Yes the FIC is originally designed for OBDII cars , it has been proven to work exceptionally well on OBDI so it is not really a concern.

Last edited:
There is a big untapped market for a turbo/SC Vantage kit.
The V-12 Vantage is not coming to the US but everyone that has driven it claims it to be awesome. Some say the best AM ever produced.

Dave; you still say an FIC on a OBD1 is the hot set up ?
Almost everyone except yourself says stand alone is the way to go.
Caveat; with a tuner that knows his head from his.....
(one tuner in my area has been "outed" for his crap work)

Well I made up my mind about the Vantage and someday I will own one, but after driving one for more than a day I decided it would not meet my needs without more power, and like you say the kits for the Vantage are insanely over priced and that car has a 11.3:1 compression ratio it will be difficult to use FI without a lot of safety features to go with the normal fuel and flash upgrades your average domestic car gets.

So I bought an 04 NSX and am moving forward with the turbo project.

By the way, the only real draw back to the FIC on an 91-94 is that it will require more than one tuning session to get your drivability right, without seeing the fuel trims you are flying blind on getting the fuel offset and O2 offset right, you have to make the changes then drive and log to fine tune everything, the wide open throttle is easy to figure out.

There is nothing wrong with running the stand alone, I have run both. For me the FIC is easier as you do not have to deal with the fine tunning issues like cold start, hot start, idle control, O2 feedback, but on the other hand with the ECU you have full control over all those items and many, many, many, many more. There is a lot to learn with the ECU and many things that interact with one another. Sometimes simplier is better, other times total control is better, but in this case you can not have both in one package, just be thankfull you have a choice. Not so long ago tuners were cutting up harnesses and adding all kinds of bandaids to get even less control than we have with the FIC.

Dave

Back