amazing experience with a 7 year old kid

A few years ago I decided I wanted to do something good and decided to enroll in the big brother/big sister program. They gave me a kid who was 7 at the time, I did not know then that his father who was my current age died when the kid was 6. They said "he is a bit young but a good kid". I met him, and first thing he wanted to do was play video games. Instead I took him snow sledding, and the first day as he was having fun he asked me "How long do you think we will be friends?".

Now he is turning 12. I have been with him for 5 years. A few weeks ago his normally quiet mom came into the room as I was fixing something on their computer and said "you know you mean a lot to Jay even if he doesn't say it". I said "I know". She said "everywhere we go he always says David this, David that"... "David does it this way"... "David likes that".

I thought that was cool.... then she asked if I knew how his dad died. I said no. Turns out that he had a heart attack in the morning. He fell over by the bed, and while his wife was at work, he had no help and he died. Later on a telemarketer called the house, Jay picks up the phone, and the telemarketer asks for his parent. Jay goes into the bedroom, sees his dad laying there and tells the telemarketer he is not moving. She tells him to go see if he is breathing, and now a panicked 6 year old puts her on hold and goes and checks. Comes back crying and says "no". She tells him to hang up and call 911. Then the fire dept show up and takes him out of the house so he doesn't see his mom break down.

By now, I am a bit emotional, because I am sitting in that same room hearing this story. She then says "that night the telemarketer called back, wanted to know if everything was OK or not, and I had to tell her he passed away"... "she then started crying, and told me that she could hear Jay screaming 'Daddy don't leave me'... 'daddy please don't leave me'"

Now it is really hard for me not to cry. Because I always saw myself as just the guy that went bowling with him and taught him that an NSX is the best car in the world. LOL... I didn't realize how important I was.

A week goes by, and I break up with my girlfriend. We go get pizza at our usual place, and he asks how my GF is. I tell him "we broke up". He gets quiet for a minute then says "Are you sad David?" and I said "yeah, a little". He gets all quiet again and then says "Do you want my pizza bubble?" because I had told him I love the burnt cheese on pizza "bubbles". He was trying to make me feel better the only way he knew how.

I couldn't believe it. What a great kid he is. And what this thing I had no expectation of at all turned out to be. Pretty amazing experience. Meaningful. Not like Carbon Fiber parts... Feels like he is my son now. Of course, I can give him back to his mom after a few hours. It's perfect... LOL...

He wants me to pick him up from school one day with the NSX. I said OK. I hope it doesn't go to his head. He may get into a fight with another kid that thinks an F430 is better.

One day he got in the car and his first question was "David, what's a lap dance?"... hahahahaha.... I have so many funny stories with this kid. Just thought I'd share and maybe my story would encourage someone else to do the same for another kid.

Last edited:
That's awesome! Good for you! Glad he has a positive role model and someone to look up to and talk to. Stay close to him. It will be amazing to see this next step in his life up through high school.

Great story, it totally put a smile on my face and made my morning. I'm gonna make sure I give my kids an extra firm hug tonight when I get home.

Now go buy some CF part and a lapdance to reward yourself. :cool:

You know what? How you've changed his life is now is nothing to what you'll see later on in life. You're giving him an example of how and what a man should be. And, I'd bet his Dad would be very thankful.

Way to be selfless!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

You're giving him an example of how and what a man should be. And, I'd bet his Dad would be very thankful.

Here's another funny story... now he is starting to talk about girls. The other day he was telling me how he talked to one girl on the phone for 4 hours straight. It made me a bit uncomfortable, but I let it go. Then he started talking about another girl, and how he talked to her from 5 pm to 10 pm. I asked "what do you talk about?" and he said "Other girls"...

Now I really felt the urge as the male role model to step in. LOL

I said "Jay, put your pizza down I'm gonna tell you something really important". He puts his pizza down and I said "Listen. You are a guy. You're not a chick. You don't talk to girls more than 15, maybe 20 minutes on the phone, TOPS. Say what you need to say, and WRAP IT UP"... He just looks at me and says "OK David".... picks up his pizza and starts eating again.

Just like that. LOL.... it was so simple!!! He didn't ask "why not?", or "but I want to", nothing. Just "OK David". Done. hahahahahahahaha

Kid is hilarious...

Last edited:
Great story David. I have new found respect for you(even though you are a Celtics fan:biggrin:)

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Here's another funny story... now he is starting to talk about girls. The other day he was telling me how he talked to one girl on the phone for 4 hours straight. It made me a bit uncomfortable, but I let it go. Then he started talking about another girl, and how he talked to her from 5 pm to 10 pm. I asked "what do you talk about?" and he said "Other girls"...

Now I really felt the urge as the male role model to step in. LOL

I said "Jay, put your pizza down I'm gonna tell you something really important". He puts his pizza down and I said "Listen. You are a guy. You're not a chick. You don't talk to girls more than 15, maybe 20 minutes on the phone, TOPS. Say what you need to say, and WRAP IT UP"... He just looks at me and says "OK David".... picks up his pizza and starts eating again.

Just like that. LOL.... it was so simple!!! No "why not?", no "but I want to", nothing. Just "OK David".... hahahahahahahaha

Kid is hilarious...

I laughed out loud... in real life.

hahahaha.

Nice.

What a great post. I did the Big Brother thing (twin boys, starting at 8 yrs old) for 7 or 8 years. They were a handful; I had fun but I was always glad to take them home. They had fun too, because they usually didn't want to go home. I learned about kids, I learned about myself, and I learned how stressful parenting can be.

BTW, why tell him he shouldn't talk so long? Maybe he wanted to. If so, it's a great way to explore life's greatest mystery--how girls/women think.
I'd ask him if he really wanted to talk that long, and if he didn't, I'd tell him that he can end any conversation he wants to, and I'd tell him how to end it politely.

Thanks for the post. You got me considering the Big Brother program again.

This thread is useless without pics! Of the kid folks, the kid. :wink:

Nice story. Volunteering should be a required part of all of our lives.

quite honestly you just helped me make up my mind about becoming a part of that program. there are so many kids out there dealing with circumstances outside of their control who simply need a bit of encouragment.

OK here he is, at a Celtics game, I am teaching him right. And that is a CELTICS hat he has on NSXluvr, cost me $20!!! It was too big for his head at the time.... now under my care he has a much bigger head. hahahaha

jason_celtics.jpg

Last edited:
quite honestly you just helped me make up my mind about becoming a part of that program. there are so many kids out there dealing with circumstances outside of their control who simply need a bit of encouragment.

Swerve, not everyone gets as good a match as I did, some guys don't have the best experience. I have heard some guys say "his mom used me as a free babysitter". I just got one with a fantastic mom, well behaved kid, very fun to be around. But if it doesn't work out, you aren't commited. It's only about 3-4 times a month you see him for a few hours. Once every weekend or every other weekend. Not a huge commitment. I'm very happy I did it.

BTW he is also a total chick magnet. Typical conversation:

Hot girl: Awe, he is so cute, is he your son?
Turbo2go: No, I'm single. I am in the BB program, he is my little
Hot girl: OMG that is so sweet!!!
Turbo2go: Do you want to come with us to starbucks?
Hot girl: sure!! what's his name?

:D :D :D

Last edited:
Dude, you're funny.

I love this thread...it makes me laugh and cry at the same time. Should be made into a made-for-tv movie. :biggrin:

Awesome story, sounds like win-win on both sides. I am sure you are having a huge impact on his life as you are a consistent male role model in his life. Something I am sure he needs and based on your stories, he might be quite a handful for the ladies if you keep grooming him for life at such a young age:biggrin:

That is great stuff. What a wonderful read! The giving of ones time for something like this is amazing. You, like I (when volunteering) have probably noticed that the lessons we learn through it, are invaluable. Well done David.

Swerve, not everyone gets as good a match as I did, some guys don't have the best experience. I have heard some guys say "his mom used me as a free babysitter". I just got one with a fantastic mom, well behaved kid, very fun to be around. But if it doesn't work out, you aren't commited. It's only about 3-4 times a month you see him for a few hours. Once every weekend or every other weekend. Not a huge commitment. I'm very happy I did it.

understood. afterall i'd do it for the kid, if the mother does not appreciate it thats fine with me- maybe i'll give her one of my hated 'ethics' rants:wink:

It's very inspiring to see folks giving their precious time instead of simply throwing money at problems.

I used to volunteer in this capacity. Maybe i'll get back into it. :smile:

Thanks, Turbo for the story.

Back