Am I Getting Ripped Off?

Wow... That's scary..

Is there any indication about air in the system? There must be some way to check it, I hope....

Not sure if this is always the case but in the cases I've seen the air blower will have a hard time blowing really hot air. The blower might still blow hot even if there is an air pocket or "bubble" in the system but if it doesn't blow as hot as it should that's a sure sign there may be trouble.

I'd recommend always turning the blower on hot every so often to check for the first 50 miles or so after any coolant system service.

Good info from Drew concerning the temp guage not necessarily reflecting the problem. In the cases I've seen the guage did reflect the engine running too hot but in one case I've seen it was at the track and not noticed until too late. :frown:

I sure hope Larry B is watching this thread; I'd love to hear what he has to say about this air bubble stuff. I don't know whether to worry or not. I've never seen anything on the list about people having this trouble though, but then I'm new relatively. Is there any big threads on this? Is this a common problem?

Sounds like the dealer is screwing you with no lube. Hope it works out to your liking and your able to have your car running again.

You can get a air pocket when filling an empty cooling system.
That can cause a car to overheat if it is not burped and bled out however, I'm not ready to indict the dealer for a bad refill job.
I'm careful not to sully a person or a business reputation when I just don't have all the facts and here, there are some missing. With the right information I say tell it like it, let the chips fall where they may, but until you know for sure, keep a open mind before you start to accuse and call for action.

You could have a small leak somewhere else and have the same result.
I know of a local fellow whose NSX had a small hose leak that went undetected and had the same exact head situation.

As for the 1200 miles I'm not aware of that as some common benchmark for under filled systems to overheat. I would think that it would be more likely to happen at under 100 miles.

Anyone can speculate but unless you have first hand information and personally inspect the vehicle I'd find it imprudent to start calling for a hanging.

Normally when a car with aluminum heads overheats and the head gaskets start to leak you need to machine the heads.

If you need replacement heads I would consider a used set. If you need to know where you can get a set, PM me. Even with a used set of heads I would send them out to a machine shop and have them checked before installing.

Back