Am I crazy or... JH4NA2160WT000166

Hello, I am the guy who bought this car....

Hello everyone,

I purchased this vehicle over the weekend and drove it back up from Macon to Boston. I wanted to let everyone know that the car isn't as bad as the original poster made it sound. In fact, reading through his thread, I found he himself had admitted that the car sounded a lot worse than he had wanted to portray.

Upon arriving in Macon, the owner of the dealership picked me up from my hotel. We went to his brothers body shop where he had the car detailed for me and presented me with brand new oem floor mats. I made a brief visual inspection at this time and found less normal wear and tear than I was expecting. True, this car is no show room condition, but for being 9 years old and having 82,000 miles, its in pretty damn good shape!

I drove the NSX following the owner in his Corvette to Sutton Acura. I met with the service advisor and told him I wanted to see the car while up in the air. They promptly got me in and I found front tires were worn, brakes were brand new, a slight leak on the driver axle seal, and a low charged battery.

The owner of the dealership agreed to replace the front tires and battery. He knew I would be driving it back to Boston, so there was no argument about replacing these items. He also took care of the PPI.

Now for the nitpicking....

Every panel on the car does have some sort of slight scratches on it. There are small dings (not full sized dents) on some of the panels. I plan on fixing all this with paintless dent removal first to eliminate bondo work, then having it repainted at my friend's body shop.

Having driven NSX's before, the slight vibration in the driver's seat felt like any other NSX I've been in.

The carpet in the trunk had just been freshly shampooed by the selling dealer, so no more mold smell. I did see that the trunk weatherstrip gasket did have a small tear missing near the slight crack on the driver side tailight. This confirms the statement about someone trying to break in the car. I can see how the small rip in the gasket could have allowed some water to get in. No big deal, I will just replace the gasket.

I will be purchasing a used spare/jack/ and tool set when I find a good deal.

Driver side speaker does not work, but seemingly a common problem with NSX's. I plan on installing a Car PC with new speakers anyway.

The frame around AC vents was cracked and he told me his tech had a hard time figuring out how to take it off. No problem here, the JDM nav pod replaces this piece anyhow.

The front tires were worn and the wrong size, but upon further investigation, we found the Sutton Acura themselves installed the wrong sized tires for the original owner almost 3 years ago. They still did not have the right tire size in stock and on a Saturday afternoon with me having a deadline to drive back to Boston, I settled for a smaller tire size just to get me going (195/60/16). I have already ordered a new SET of tires and they should be here tomorrow.

The glass closes normally as explained in the FAQ.

The driver side door alignment is fine, its the fender that needs to be adjusted. I already checked with my friend's body shop and they can adjust it for me for free.

The timing belt service has not been performed, but will be performed in the next couple of months.

The scratch on the driver side door jamb was kind of odd, but after reading the FAQ, it seems there were a few people out there that have the same issue. I guess the door latch assy bolts backed out and scratched the jamb.

Things I noticed while driving the car back. Although I did check to see if the A/C and heat worked, I failed to check it in all speeds. The fan only works on HIGH or LOW. Needs Climate Control Unit repair.

There was a buzzing noise from the center console, but it ended up being the little fan from air temp sensor that needed cleaning (done).

One of the lights in the gauge cluster was out and made it very hard for me to read the fuel level guage. Kinda made me paranoid when driving back at night to Boston. I had to shine my cell phone at it from time to time to see how much gas I had. I replaced the $2.00 bulb today.

On Monday, the 8000k HID Kit went in. Today, I had an synthetic oil change, brake fluid flush, and a intake manifold / throttle body cleaning. Next week, I am getting the ECM Recall performed. I have new tailight gaskets, thermostat, coolant temp sensor, and axle seal ordered. Will be changing the transmission fluid and the coolant flushed when those parts arrive. The spark plugs and valve cover gaskets will be changed when I am ready to get my valves adjusted and timing belt replaced. I should have this car back in pristine condition by mid summer. I am also about to order new tailights from a Prime member.

Had a lot of stuff done already considering I've only had the car for 3 days! The price sold me on this particular car as I was originally looking at 95-96 NSX's. This car I bought was by no means a bad car....it just needed a little TLC.

Thanks for letting me get my 2 cents in. I hope to be an active member on this site. See you guys around!

Last edited:
Re: Hello, I am the guy who bought this car....

*Sigh*

Back