Alonso has seat fitting for Honda F1

It seems like Alonso wants to join Ferrari in 09 really badly and thus only wants 1 year deal for 08. I doubt too many teams are into that idea. I really don't get why he doesn't just go back to Renault??

Ghosn doesn't like Alonso's concept of team either. Carlos Ghosn told Alfronso that "it's 3 years or nothing." Plus, Renault is involved in their own little spygate saga as well. Alfronso has to wait to see how that plays out before making any firm decision.

Re: Brawn is building for the future

In terms of morale, there is no better team morale booster than winning, especially for Honda. ………. I don't see how Fred could make the situation any worse. And I do think he can help tremendously
Brawn’s comments about “much bigger challenges” than drivers right now shows he’s building a team. It took Ferrari 3 years to get to the top after he and all the right players were in place. That team building effort paid off and they become a juggernaut. I know Vance and others hate MS for cheating (all valid criticism) but he brought an overall package (positive personality) to the team that inspired everyone right down to the janitor. That, his infectious smile, and being “all red- all Ferrari” is and will continue to be a big part of his legacy. As strong as Fred is in the car, I can’t see him bringing that to any team. He wasn’t a team player before this year and is reported to be a bit on the reclusive side and definitely not the smiling type. He may be a great driver with a long term future in F-1, but the way he failed to take the high road and handle the unfortunate situation at McLaren this year shows he’s not the complete package. I think that will haunt him in future negotiations and if the past several months are any indication, he’ll be doing lots of negotiating with lots of team principals in future years. Not the kind of guy who will “find a home.” Hope that clarifies my 2 cents.

Maybe we actually will know what he'll do next week after Renault gets the bad news.

Re: Brawn is building for the future

Brawn’s comments about “much bigger challenges” than drivers right now shows he’s building a team. It took Ferrari 3 years to get to the top after he and all the right players were in place. That team building effort paid off and they become a juggernaut. I know Vance and others hate MS for cheating (all valid criticism) but he brought an overall package (positive personality) to the team that inspired everyone right down to the janitor. That, his infectious smile, and being “all red- all Ferrari” is and will continue to be a big part of his legacy. As strong as Fred is in the car, I can’t see him bringing that to any team. He wasn’t a team player before this year and is reported to be a bit on the reclusive side and definitely not the smiling type. He may be a great driver with a long term future in F-1, but the way he failed to take the high road and handle the unfortunate situation at McLaren this year shows he’s not the complete package. I think that will haunt him in future negotiations and if the past several months are any indication, he’ll be doing lots of negotiating with lots of team principals in future years. Not the kind of guy who will “find a home.” Hope that clarifies my 2 cents.

Maybe we actually will know what he'll do next week after Renault gets the bad news.

I totally agree that MS had tremendous team building and leadership qualities that really helped create a dynasty at Ferrari. So, in that aspect, Fred is no MS. But who is? Lewis H. seems to have that electric personality similar to MS and Tiger Woods. So perhaps that is why McLaren ultimately decided to bet their future on him and let Fred go. No one else is even close - a top driver and a team builder.

I like Fred because he is certainly a top driver, he seems to be very focused, demanding, exacting, etc. And he's driven to win - he expects to win. I don't think Button or Rubens expect to win. They hope to win, but that is totally different.

JMO.

Back