Allans car is featured at Racing Flix

You got that right, Allan....and you know what they say about opinions!
wink.gif

The Zonda is impressive, no doubt about it. That fact makes the "Conky" dashboard and other wacky design choices all the more disapointing.

But many writers and people have commented on this aspect of the Zonda, so I'm sure I'm not letting you in on any big secret.

-Jim

PS: You don't like my Accord? LOL!!! I'm crushed.

------------------
1992 NSX Red/Blk 5 spd #0330
1991 NSX Blk/Blk Auto #3070 (Sold)
1974 Vette 454 4 spd Wht/Blk
1976 Honda Accord 5 spd, 3 door Blue/Blue
1977 Honda Accord - Custom - Under Construction
1986 Chevy Suburban
http://homepage.mac.com/jimanders/PhotoAlbum1.html

If I may interject here, I'm sure Pagani Automobili knows more about what its (25 or so a year) buyers want than any car magazine writer or your average joe (not to imply that anyone here is). Our opinions probably mean squat to them (or their customers for that matter), so there's no point in bickering. I wouldn't get too worked up about design details unless I was actually in a position to buy one--in which case you could probably afford to have them custom design a console for you
wink.gif

I have many, many articles on the Zonda, and not one has made a comment about not liking the dash. Anyways, if and when i get one, ill be happy with the dash.

It's a moot point for me, as at that price level, I'd be buying something really fast like an aircraft.
wink.gif

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874763798

I'm also sure that if I were interested in a Zonda, getting a revision on the dash wouldn't be a big deal.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

[This message has been edited by Jimbo (edited 16 December 2002).]

Originally posted by NSX_Dreamer:
I'm curious, how does it feel to own such nice cars? Can you share what it's like?

To each his own...but if I had that kind of scratch...I'd design my own that would rival anything in anyone's garage...and beit one of a kind
smile.gif
With the prices on some of these machines...the budget would be there. It would be like "lego's" or "ecrector set" for grown-ups!

------------------
Todd E. Williams
'94 NSX Berlina Black/Onyx

At $350K...there's a lot of very interesting things you can purchase. Airplanes...real race cars.

You can purchase a used F1 race car for that kind of money.

After all, at some point driving these exotics on the street is pretty lame since you can only use a fraction of their capabilities. And if you have to take your car to the track to take full advantage of it, heck, you might as well get a "real" race car.

-Jim

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

oh boy, pee-wee herman's conky dashboard----i havent laughed so hard in months.

Anybody remember that anecdote from european hotel---too many little bars of soap? THAT was hilarious, and the last time I laughed this hard.

thanks for the entertainment guys!!

I don't think the dashboard is that bad at all. The car is sorta eccentric and so is the dash.

Hey, I like that Mig-21. And I was born and went to highschool in Santa Maria! I'm well familar with the area. Sweet! I'll have to go and check out this F-16 beater when I go back home.

Originally posted by Ag NSX:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1874763798

I love the description, "....will outrun most F-16s". I wonder when the average buyer will get to test that out! Now we'll see the posts, "Smoked an F-16 last night by 1000 plane lengths"
LOL ! ROFL !
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Funniest reply I've ever read!
biggrin.gif

Yeah, I'd take the Pagani Zonda if I have the stash and put a wee bit more to have them re-do the dash design. It looks way out of place inside a car that has such modern exterior styling.
I've always wondered how the car handles in real life (we all probably agree that this car can really haul butt going straight), because in GT3 this car understeers like a pig.

In European car magazines such as Car, Top Gear and Evo, the Zonda always posts the fastest laps. It's been tested against GT2, 996TT, 575, 360, SL55, different TVRs, Murci, and bunches of other cars I can't remember. All in all a better barometer than a video game.

Originally posted by PHOEN$X:
If I may interject here, I'm sure Pagani Automobili knows more about what its (25 or so a year) buyers want than any car magazine writer or your average joe (not to imply that anyone here is). Our opinions probably mean squat to them (or their customers for that matter), so there's no point in bickering. I wouldn't get too worked up about design details unless I was actually in a position to buy one--in which case you could probably afford to have them custom design a console for you
wink.gif

I don't think Pagani spends enough money on researching what they produce, or they give their designers too much lattitude. I wouldn't own the Pagani Zonda because of its hideous dash and other design characteristics. I guess they won't need to produce 26 this year.

Why would I want to spend the kind of money that they are asking for these cars and then have to customize them to my tastes?

[This message has been edited by Carguy! (edited 22 December 2002).]

Originally posted by ALLAN:
I dont like the Mclaren at all. Ive seen the Pagani upclose and i really liked the dash, very cool. It does look weird in the picture, but seeing it upclose and personal is a whole other story.

I am curious what don't you like about the McLaren? This is the first post I have ever seen from anyone that states they don't like the McLaren. About the only flaw I can find with the car is the price.

I don't care for the McLaren either.
The scissor door design and the windows that don't open all the way turn me off.I can't afford one but if it was $25,000 there still would be a long list of cars I'd rather have.
Given one I would sell it - I just don't care for it. Same for the Lambo's with the scissor doors. Don't mean no disrespect to those that love them.

[This message has been edited by pbassjo (edited 22 December 2002).]

Strictly IMO, no disrespect to the McLaren but 1) it is WAY too pricey (especially since I can't afford one!
wink.gif
), and 2) there are many other cars higher on my wishlist.

Honda v Zonda

Fabulous the NSX-R may be, but how would it compare with last year's eCOTY winner, the Pagani Zonda C12S? Let's find out

Heads swivel so fast as our two-car convoy rumbles by that I'm sure if we retraced the route we'd find a dozen or so people clutching their necks. And that young lad at the last T-junction would surely be brushing gravel from his dropped jaw.

This is the one and only Honda NSX-R in the UK, which makes it rarer than the Pagani Zonda C12S it's pursuing, but there's no question that the epicentre of the shockwave is the Zonda. A couple of weeks earlier few people apart from you, dear evo reader would have been able to positively identify the dramatic silver wedge snuffling along these Northamptonshire roads, but the rest of the world is catching on. An appearance on Top Gear TV, with Jezza clearly wowed by its ability, has put the name of last year's evo Car of the Year on the lips of a much broader audience.

'Zonda' will now be on many more lottery wish lists, though at £300,000 it'll be on considerably fewer shopping lists. At £64,000, the NSX-R is hardly a snip, but for a fifth of the price of the Pagani it offers the same thing -- one of the most incrdible mid-engined -- driving experiences in the world. Which is why we felt compelled to bring these two eCOTY champions together, drive them back-to-back, and find out which of them offers the most evoness.

The Zonda won't be five times better than the Honda, of course, in just the same way that the Honda isn't three times better than, say, an MR2. It's the law of diminishing returns. Beyond a certain price the tangible improvement in sound quality of a hi-fi is no longer proportional to the amount you pay, though the quality of the engineering that goes into it, the sound that comes out, the volume it can achieve, and its exclusiveness, do increase.

On paper, the Zonda is twice the car the Honda is -- double the number of cylinders, exactly double the horsepower and twice the power-to-weight ratio. The latter is a clue to where some of the money has been spent, for the Zonda's 1270kg kerb weight is virtually identical to that of the largely aluminium-built and physically smaller Honda's. Carbonfibre is the key and, although it isn't cheap, when it's used extensively the benefits are spectacular. And nosing around the Zonda's nooks and crannies reveals that the finish everywhere is to the same fabulous standard.

The NSX-R offers stunning performance -- 0-60 in around 4.4sec, almost 170mph flat-out -- but the Zonda is on another plane, hitting the benchmark in well under four seconds and topping 200mph. Still, on the road there's only so much performance you can use. That's why the NSX-R is looming large in my mirrors as I thread the Zonda along the bumpy, twisty B-roads close to evo HQ. It feels very broad of beam, quite heavy too, yet whatever the revs, in the lower gears the response from the 7-litre Merc V12 is instant and massive.

If you press hard, it's savage. When the shortest of straights opens up, the Zonda is gone, slammed forward with a frankly terrifying force and a guttural howl that's seething with malicious intent. Don't ever wind down the windows and fire the Zonda into a tunnel hard in second gear (like I did) -- the noise will scare you silly.

Traction control is a recent addition to the standard spec of the Zonda, and at times it's pretty busy on these roads. It would be even busier if the ride was as uncompromisingly stiff as the NSX-R's but the Zonda's suppleness is one of the first things you notice. It doesn't come at the expense of superb wheel control and sharp, feelsome steering, which must be a reflection of the solidity of the carbon platform.

Not surprisingly, the cockpit of the Honda looks pretty ordinary straight after the riot of shapes and materials under the Zonda's fighter jet-style canopy roof. The NSX-R feels great, though; the seats are among the best of any road car I've tried and the gearshift unequivocally the best of any mid-engined I've ever driven. Once you're up to speed, it's steering is outstanding, too, as are the brakes. In short, wherever car and driver interface, the NSX is inspired. Except for the ride, which around town is as resilient as the Zonda's is compliant, but town is the last place you'd go if you owned an NSX-R.

Even after the C12S the Honda feels exciting, which is quite an achievement. Of course it's not as sensationally accelerative but the whole car has a balance, a cohesion that makes it a totally absorbing and thrilling drive. Because it's smaller and feels lighter, you can use more of its ability more of the time, and as we descovered on eCOTY, it's sensational on a track. The Zonda's handy but not as joyously exploitable on a circuit. For sheer usable evoness, the Honda wins.

But if you should win the Lottery, there's no reason why you should feel the need to justify having both a C12S and an NSX-R in your garage. They are, after all, the finest mid-engined cars in production.

Caption: Zonda meets Honda; 555bhp 7.3-litre V12 plays 276bhp 3.2-litre V6. On paper it's an unequal contest, but on the road they're closer than you'd think. Both cars provide moments of total exhilleration.

------------------
1986 Chevy Suburban

Looks like I got my 15 minutes of fame.

I just received the latest issue of Autoweek (Jan 6 2003).

I see that on the last page they used my "Body Double" example that I sent them of the Zonda center dash and Pee Wee's Conky.

wink.gif

-Jim

-Jim

------------------
2003 MINI Cooper S - On Order - All Black
1986 Chevy Suburban