Ahhhh stressful driving!!!

So today for the first time I took my baby out in the military town I live by to take my fiance out to re-size her ring.....It gave me an ulcer! First off everyone and their mother with any vehicle with 4,3,or2 wheels wanted to race?!? WTF an 90's jeep trying to race.:confused::confused: People on their cells had an AVOID AT ALL COST sign on their car:mad::mad:..... and then all these jacked up trucks scare the shit out of me because they get beside you and you know your too low for them to see you out of their side mirrors :eek:.... scary. Then I park in the middle of nowhere in the parking lot and come out to find a beat up ass tacoma parked RIGHT beside me:mad::mad::mad:..... I'm gonna invent and NSX force field! Any one else have these problems?!?!

Some days are worse than others - but yes, I think most of us here deal with it on occasion. My biggest issue is people staying right next to me or in my blind spot on the highway wanting to look or take pictures. I have to plan well in advance if I need to change lanes in order to work around it - quite irritating.

My favorite is watching people try their hardest to get me to race, yet here I sit, basically on cruise control completely avoiding that they even exist. I get that A LOT. They eventually get pissed off and speed away. :biggrin:

Yes, I think we have to take driving these cars very seriously at ALL TIMES. Only logged 450 miles since purchase, but have noticed such a low car is almost invisible. Do not pull up right behind someone at a stoplight! Learned that again just yesterday. I should already know this, A guy totalled my CRX because I was sitting right behind him, he backed up in a hurry, by the time I reacted it was to late. So yesterday a minivan started backing up. practically had a heart attack, but was able to lay on the horn fast enough to avoid collision. We must all be expert "DEFENSIVE DRIVERS" ALL THE TIME.

The damn insurance companies will call one of these "totaled" so easily too that you don't even want to have to turn it into the insurance for something small even, and with mine even a re-paint is something non factory.

Don't give in the temptation to race, and try to hang back from other cars--especially trucks and SUVs, not only for visibility reasons but rock chips too. I've let lots of other cars pass me on the street & freeways, plus they can flush out the cops for me. :biggrin:

Welcome to the world of exotic car ownership.

Our cars may not be the most expensive or most exotic but it's quite uncommon to see one to most people and they will act like idiots sometimes.

Just be nice and give them a reason to tell their friends how they met a guy in an NSX and he was the coolest cat ever. :cool:

welcome to the NSX world.

it happens everyday to all of us. it now so common that you automaticly
change lanes, or turn at the nearest street. without even thinking

and YES the NSX is an Exotic this has been a topic for years.

I always try to remember: if I can't see the driver's side mirror of the car in front of me, he may not be able to see me at all.

There's no reason to crawl right up anyone's bumper, whether you're in stop-and-go traffic or at a light.

This is very true with the low-profile NSX, but also with any other car, too. Heck, we're almost as invisible in our Miata.

Haha so its something we all paid a lot of money to stress over I see! I for sure notice myself driving that differently than my Nissan Frontier. I didn't race any of them either. Not worth the gas let alone their view of my tail lights:wink: I'll just keep it out of that town. It's much more relaxing on a beach cruise anyway. I actually had 2 cops in Emerald Isle wave to me as they were going the opposite direction:cool: They love the NSX.

Some days are worse than others - but yes, I think most of us here deal with it on occasion. My biggest issue is people staying right next to me or in my blind spot on the highway wanting to look or take pictures. I have to plan well in advance if I need to change lanes in order to work around it - quite irritating.

My favorite is watching people try their hardest to get me to race, yet here I sit, basically on cruise control completely avoiding that they even exist. I get that A LOT. They eventually get pissed off and speed away. :biggrin:

+1 blind spot campers, ya just gotta expect that they are there
+1 "hey race me" dudes.. although tinted windows help with ignoring them

I find that a lot of sportbike guys wanna play, maybe its a phoenix thing

Ahhh yes Alec -- its crazy what others do when you are out in the NSX - mostly compliments, pics, but also the morons who want to race - and more dangerous the ones who aren't used to looking or seeing such a low car. I pretty much drive mine like I did when riding my motorcycle - just assume that NOBODY sees me. That tends to serve me well.

BTW - great looking NSX!! Previous owner must have really taken great care of it !! :wink: Glad you are enjoying the car! Jay

Not to make this sound like the NSX is reserved for only rich people or anything (far from it), but when you have a car with an appearance like that you can expect to get a lot of attention... both positive and negative.

Honestly, I would blame a lot of it on being in Jacksonville, NC... No offense, but that right there probably has a lot to do with it. I think if you were in a more affluent area with no shortage of nice cars you wouldn't draw this extreme amount of negative attention.

Ahhh yes Alec -- its crazy what others do when you are out in the NSX - mostly compliments, pics, but also the morons who want to race - and more dangerous the ones who aren't used to looking or seeing such a low car. I pretty much drive mine like I did when riding my motorcycle - just assume that NOBODY sees me. That tends to serve me well.

BTW - great looking NSX!! Previous owner must have really taken great care of it !! :wink: Glad you are enjoying the car! Jay

Jay, HAHA yes the previous owner really took care of her! I LOVE the car more than I can describe. Thats why I have to drive so defensivly. By the way I'm about to haul it back to Ohio next week to get the wheels painted black like my truck, the calipers painted red, and the windows re-tinted. I'll post up pictures.

Steve Jacksonville, NC is the armpit of the east coast and it will never again be graced with the presence of my NSX....Unless it's to drive to Raleigh for a meet of course. I'll keep her close to the beaches where there are other nice cars so I don't stick out quite as much.

Steve Jacksonville, NC is the armpit of the east coast and it will never again be graced with the presence of my NSX....Unless it's to drive to Raleigh for a meet of course. I'll keep her close to the beaches where there are other nice cars so I don't stick out quite as much.

haha, I was trying to word it lightly but yeah, it's a craphole....

First Saturday of every month is the C&C meet in Raleigh; also, I believe they're looking at having a big meetup in Greensboro rather soon. If you haven't been in contact with John Komar then give me a shout and I'll make sure he has your contact info.

It's interesting re: racing. I've had the NSX since December - which, granted, isn't a long time. But as far as I can tell, nobody has given the "I want to race you" sign.

But on the other hand, I live in the affluent SF Bay Area, where it seems that 1/4 of the cars are Priuses, and another quarter of them are Porsches.

Last Friday I parked the NSX at a Starbucks in San Mateo. The car on one side of me was a Ferrari. On the other side was an M3. There was a Boxster close by, and a brand-new Audi A7. (Hot looking car, by the way.) Nobody paid much attention to any of them.

haha, I was trying to word it lightly but yeah, it's a craphole....

First Saturday of every month is the C&C meet in Raleigh; also, I believe they're looking at having a big meetup in Greensboro rather soon. If you haven't been in contact with John Komar then give me a shout and I'll make sure he has your contact info.

Yeah theres no need to sugar coat it I know how this area is. My only concern with going to the C&C in Raleigh was I-40. I'm not sure how forgiving it will be and I know the last time I went west on it there was some nasty construction. I suppose as long as thats resolved it shouldn't be too bad. I'll deff take that contact info. In a PM perhaps.

Most towns don't have thousands of compensating testosterone raging marines driving around in em. I'm a "Doc" so I deal with them on a daily basis and live and do what they do, but they are a whole nother breed. Like I said I'll just keep the car out of J-vegas.

Yeah theres no need to sugar coat it I know how this area is. My only concern with going to the C&C in Raleigh was I-40. I'm not sure how forgiving it will be and I know the last time I went west on it there was some nasty construction. I suppose as long as thats resolved it shouldn't be too bad. I'll deff take that contact info. In a PM perhaps.

Most towns don't have thousands of compensating testosterone raging marines driving around in em. I'm a "Doc" so I deal with them on a daily basis and live and do what they do, but they are a whole nother breed. Like I said I'll just keep the car out of J-vegas.

I drove it last weekend (raleigh to wilmington) in our TSX and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I remember there was a lot of construction by Clinton last year but that's over now.

I'm honestly glad that I had a motorcycle and have taken all the popper training when I was younger. When I'm in the NSX, I revert back to that extreme defensive driving style because as the OP has said, other cars (when beside you) just don't see you.

The biggest issue I usually have are people boxing you in by pacing so they can get pictures or a good look- I've missed highway exits due to not being able to get in the right lane, but I try extra hard not to be a jerk, and just take the next exit.

The most annoying drivers have been motorcyclists, though not sport bikers. They'll pull up right next to you on the highway, then floor it, giving you an earful of their open exhausts at 7 feet away...

Agree with above posts indicating best to be polite and not engage in any "hooning" when challenged. However, there are indeed those times that you do need to remove yourself and your NSX from potential harm's way (you'll know it when you see it). IMHO there is no harm in dropping down a gear or two to get some space to yourself, even if it means exceeding the speed limit for a bit.

My Formula Red /94 seems to get lots of attention here in the suburbs of Detroit -- most of a postive and curious nature but there are some goofballs in the most unlikely of vehicles that want to play. I know it is terribly wrong but there was a guy in a Camry :confused: who tailgated me onto a very long, tight ramp from the M5 to I-696 East so I indulged him by speeding up. By the time I reached 50 mph on the ramp the Camry was doing a very nice juddering/understeering dance right off the ramp. Again, I know its wrong, but I did enjoy the way this ended for Mr. Camry.

My stress is the cops. Every thing else is fine. Yeah bumps are also stressful. If I could get rid of cops and bumps it would be perfect.

Cops actually usually wave to me. It helps that I am engaged to the old police chiefs daughter, However while I was back in ohio last week I took my buddy out of some curvy roads to show off a little. Next think I know a mitsu 3000GT VR4 flys by me. I couldn't resist I pursued and was right with him when he oversteered into the oncoming lane with an oncoming car and then just lost it! He avoided hitting me while I got around him by about 2 feet. ( I couldn't slam my breaks in a turn!) Craziness. All I could think was please don't hit me! His passenger side was destroyed. door side skirts fender and quarter panel. He was ok and that's all that matters. Nucking Futs!!

I'm pretty sure most people want to just see the NSX pull away for a second...just something to give them chills and tell stories about. I doubt most want to really "race", although I am sure there are a few.

People just want to tell that story "I had my foot to the floor of my pickup truck and that NSX pulled away like I was in reverse"

I'm pretty confident that's what MOST (not all) people in everyday pedestrian vehicles are looking for.

Now the people that pull up in cars they think are "fast" want a different story.. or the "same story" but with a longer, faster, more drawn out risk. A risk never worth the time to invest in.

Back