Aftermarket Ignition?

Saw the new issue of SCC that includes a 300ZX w/ a MSD DIS 4 and 2 ignition. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this type of setup or any suggestions about getting this done. Maybe this applies only to the forced induction folk?

I'm a little unknowledgeable in this area but would appreciate someone providing some info or experience.

I would venture to guess that an MSD ignition would have FAR less impact on a Coil-on-plug ignition setup like the NSX, than say on a 300ZX with a conventional Distributor/ignition.
(I think they have a conventional setup)
I bet the HP/$ return is even worse than the CT SC setup
smile.gif

You probably don't need to mess with it unless you are going very radical. As I recall, David ran into problems with blowing out the spark on his monster turbo engine at high boost, but short of that I've not heard that the stock setup is deficient.

Originally posted by Edo:
I would venture to guess that an MSD ignition would have FAR less impact on a Coil-on-plug ignition setup like the NSX, than say on a 300ZX with a conventional Distributor/ignition.
(I think they have a conventional setup)
I bet the HP/$ return is even worse than the CT SC setup
smile.gif

the 300ZX has individual coil packs just like the NSX.

Yep the 300ZX has a coil on plug ignition just like the NSX.

I am sure the stock setup is sufficient but I'm also sure the ignition upgrade would be beneficial if one is going forced induction in the future.

I believe the NSX coils max at 30,000 volts EACH...so you don't need anything more than that. I asked about this a couple years ago...was told me stick my pinky finger into one when they cranked over the engine...I opted out of that one. :-)

Andie

------------------

Hate to bring up an old topic BUT.... David B. had to increase the spark due to the turbo system on his car. Hey Dave, what symptoms did you run into that made you change the ignition? Did it miss, sputter?

Even if the car didn't miss, sputter or show signs, would it be better to change the ignition or just leave it alone? Will an improvement be noticed?

TIA,

------------------
Kenji Ligon
91 Red CTSC NSX

Originally posted by Attitude Adjuster:
Hate to bring up an old topic BUT.... David B. had to increase the spark due to the turbo system on his car. Hey Dave, what symptoms did you run into that made you change the ignition? Did it miss, sputter?

Even if the car didn't miss, sputter or show signs, would it be better to change the ignition or just leave it alone? Will an improvement be noticed?

TIA,

David seems to have disappeared since his car came up lame. Too bad, his input is always very valuable. All I know is that he described it as "blowing out the spark" at about 14psi boost. I'm guessing that the stock setup (operating at full strength) is adequate for anything less than 10psi and possibly more. I certainly don't think it would be high on my list for an NA motor unless the stock one was failing. Far better ways to spend the same cash.

Back