After A CTSC what is the next BIG step?

I knowthat the biggest performance boost in a mod for an NSX is a CTSC. Besides what has already been done to my car what would be the biggest mod I can make without sacraficing reliability - see my new car below:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89262

In your case you already have close ratio 6spd, then these are imho the next few steps:
Diet-weight reduction

Suspension/sway bar

Brake

High boost with AEM EMS ~400rwhp

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Still not satisfied, then the next step would be turbo.

I was told a weight reduction of 200 lbs the best could hope for would only amount to a 5% HP boost. I was looking at some used CT sway bars, but they had already sold, but that seemed likely a logical idea.

I was told that my current performance package was likely @ 400HP - who really knows???

What is a:

"High boost with AEM EMS ~400rwhp"

Would a turbo pass CA smog?

I was told a weight reduction of 200 lbs the best could hope for would only amount to a 5% HP boost. I was looking at some used CT sway bars, but they had already sold, but that seemed likely a logical idea.

I was told that my current performance package was likely @ 400HP - who really knows???

What is a:

"High boost with AEM EMS ~400rwhp"

Would a turbo pass CA smog?
Type R front sway bar and chasis bar is also an option. There are others as well.
http://www.daliracing.com/v666-5/catalog/index_browse_part.cfm?focus=1824

Yes, there is no question that you already have 400hp at the flywheel with your current set up, but not 400rwhp. If you are only interested in smog legal, then you already very much maxed out. Have you driven the car yet? There is slight chance that it might already be more than you had hoped for.

Hi boost is running CTSC with high boost upgrade. Smaller pulley for additional 3 psi, larger injectors, standalone ECU. For additional 35~50rwhp gain.

Hi boost or turbo will not pass smog, but people manage to pass somehow:wink:

In short, the car will arrive this Thursday. Thus, I have NOT driven it as of yet. You may have answered most of my question as I want to remain street legal. Will the use of these Type-R JDM/OEM NSX front swaybar kit make my ride stiffer?

You haven't driven it yet? NO test drive? Wow I really think it will be fast enough as it is. You have all the mods the car needs to be a beast on the street and be daily driven. Drive the car for a while and than make changes according to your needs. You might find the suspension allready stiff enough or not depending on YOUR feel for the car. Drive it, see what you like and don't like and than add mods to it. You can do big brake kit as that can never hurt. You allready have good brand tires and all the other goodies like headers,exhaust,etc.
But one thing I can see you will need is some Racing seats from Reacro the white and black ones I will get the model number from their catalog will look so nice in your white nsx. I don't like tan and I remember reading you were looking to change the interior color also. But nice ride.... enjoy it .....

Yaynsx,

No test drive - correct. I had a 1991 NSX for a year and know how they drive. I did have the NSX dealership do a PPI and was satisfied with the results. In addition, I have driven other CTSC NSX's and so I know what I am getting and that is why I purchased this car. My query was more or less a roadmap suggested by other NSXers who have spent more time on their hobby then myself. Of course, I will wait until driven to make any other changes, but considering those changes including a seat change is always part of the fun. I will look for your seat suggestion and thanks!

do you have gears?

FWIW, when I was talking to Shad of driving ambition/Comptech, his recommendation to me as a "next step" was OS/Giken gears on the 6 speed. Maybe be can chime in here.

You are pretty much at the limit of HP while staying legal, although the new AEM piggyback may allow some options while keeping OBDII working normally. There is a thread on it here.

There is plenty of handling/braking and aesthetic upgrades you can do. The car is half R looking... you can complete the look with an R hood, diffusor, wing, etc.

The next BIG step?

Since you already have a 02+ white NSX w/ a black roof.....

Type R Conversion. :biggrin:

I have ordered the type R conversion from Downforce and that should arrive within a few weeks of the delivery of the car. I would certainly be interested
in CT input on the gear change noted and what that offers performance.

I will look for the thread an AEM piggyback, but can someone summarize this?

I have taken racing lessons at the Russell Racing School at Laguna Seca. I do not intend on taking the car on the track, but I do enjoy maximizing performance as long as it is not at the expense of reliability. This combination of performance and reliability is what makes the NSX so special IMHO.

My NSX had everything, (and I put 100,000 miles on it in five years) and I will say this: If I had the choice of either the CTSC OR the 4.55 ring and pinion and the short gears, I would take the transmission mods hands down. They totally transform the car in a way that the supercharger cannot. After giving a guy with an NSX, CTSC and stock transmission a ride in my car, he said that his car was slow and boring in comparison. For this high revving car, the ring and pinion is the single most important mod you can have. If you can't get a 4.55, at least get the 4.23.

That is basically what Shad told me. That it makes the car incredibly responsive and fun. Not that the performance gain is huge... I know this is a great mod for the 5 speed, I just wonder what it will do for a 6 speed. My top speed will drop dammit!!! :tongue:

My NSX had everything, (and I put 100,000 miles on it in five years) and I will say this: If I had the choice of either the CTSC OR the 4.55 ring and pinion and the short gears, I would take the transmission mods hands down. They totally transform the car in a way that the supercharger cannot. After giving a guy with an NSX, CTSC and stock transmission a ride in my car, he said that his car was slow and boring in comparison. For this high revving car, the ring and pinion is the single most important mod you can have. If you can't get a 4.55, at least get the 4.23.

Was your car a 5 or 6 speed?

CTSC and stock transmission a ride in my car, he said that his car was slow and boring in comparison. For this high revving car, the ring and pinion is the single most important mod you can have. If you can't get a 4.55, at least get the 4.23.
He is just being nice, trust me on that. Don't think too much. It is not even close:biggrin:, other wise I would had bought a complete tranny from Dali or SOS already. Maybe the fun factor but definitely not speed.

The gears and 4.55r&p make a noticeable "preceived" difference and no doubt helps 0~60mph quite a bit for a bone stock NSX, after 80mph it will actually slow down the car with that combo. If you got power, the stock gear ratio is great for 50mph~145mph acceleration.

Stock 118mph in 3rd, 4.55R&P + JDM gears does 90mph in third. You run through gears like S2000. Fun, yes definitely.

I have driven Bambookid's 4.55 R&P + short gears without the nitrous engaged, Erick witnessed and he also drove it. I thought it was really slow, not exactly what I was expecting with 4.55 R&P + short gears. Compare to stock it is not even dramaticly faster.

I am never shy of giving true honest opinions. I gave him a ride as well in my nsx, he is also got 75hot RM nitrous in his car. In his word there is no comparision.

I have driven countless different NSXes, from Vance's hi powered NA to UptoYu's pretty 6spd, Shane's 6spd/3.2/coupe, Bambookid's 4.55R&P+JDM gears+I/H/E, John's HP Turbo, Simo's ultra lightweight race car and many others in all shape and variety, not bragging, just fact.

If you can't get a 4.55, at least get the 4.23.
He already got short ratio with 6spd and power undercurve to match. IMHO 6spd is very much perfect for FI.

Jason thanks for the feedback. We don't get to drive as many cars as you have. Gears is a major undertaking with a negative side, and that is why I have not done it. My next step on the motor if any, is to wait for someone to finish an intercooler and then I may do intercooler/injectors/pump/fuel management of some type.

Right now I need to lose weight baby!!!! :biggrin:

Next step? I don't know your abilities, but in my case.. I have a 400RWHP car and the experienced guys tell me. "go to racing school and learn how to drive" :biggrin:

I have ordered the type R conversion from I have taken racing lessons at the Russell Racing School at Laguna Seca. I do not intend on taking the car on the track, but I do enjoy maximizing performance as long as it is not at the expense of reliability. This combination of performance and reliability is what makes the NSX so special IMHO.

See quote above.

I think that for most people, they find that the next big mod after a CTSC is a turbo..

:D

AGREED:biggrin:
As far as emissions, you can tune it to pass a sniffer, but visually it won't pass.

Great car - I've been drooling over it for some time but could not pull the trigger and sell my 91. My recommendation is concentrate on suspension. You’ve got the power and your car looks good. I’d love to get a real type R but I would not want a fake so IMO I would not go cosmetics right now. In order:

Get light weight wheels 16/17 best, 17/18 next, 18/19 worst (weight wise). Reducing unsprung and rotational weight will improve acceleration, suspension response and handling. Check out http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18612&highlight=wheel+weight for a list of wheel weights. Several years ago I wanted the Volks (very light forged) but settled for OZ cast (also light), which were more readily available and less expensive. Whatever you do get light weight not bling. I did 17/18 a comprimise between looks and weight. I remember reading that 1 lb in wheel weight per wheel requires 16 HP to compensate (I think that was the case). Be careful about how far you lower your car. When I did it my mechanic informed me the NSX has limited camber adjustment and too much could degrade handling.

Next upgrade your suspension and corner balance your car. You’ll need coilovers of some sort. There are a variety of options – I have Tein Flex, which are a compromise in ride quality (better than race coilovers) and handling (probably not as good as race). You can adjust the dampers to optimize the handling. The ride will be harsher than stock but handling performance is greatly improved.

Next would be better brakes, pads and fluid. I have not done brake rotors and pistons yet but will in the future. One thing I would focus on is light weight as again unsprung weight degrades handling. I have stock brakes but replaced the fluid with high performance ATE Racing Blue, installed Hawk pads and stainless lines. These upgrades improved breaking performance again IMO.

smhrednsx91

The seller said the following about the wheels in this forum:

Here's a link to the wheels. To correctly refinish these requires a proprietary 10 point tool made of unobtainium.
http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=145
They are forged. lightweight, and over $800 each. (Superleggera 1)
The original cost of the car & upgrades (on the road 1/1/03) was around $120K

I thought your post in particular was quite helpful. I am considering some cosmetic changes in conjunction with weight reduction. I have ordered the DownForce NSX-R conversion kit. However, with that in-mind I am not sure I have the willingness to go thru the weight reduction program as denoted in this very forum. I will not do anything that will cause the car to fail smog certification.

Back