Advice please

I am going to pickup my car on friday in ohio and drive back to tennessee. I was trying to find out about temp tags with no avail. i wont have much time there before the bank with the title and the DMV closes.

This is from my post in the midwest region and i wanted to know what everyone thinks.

I have been reading the ohio code and it is sort of like TN. From what i have read, you are allowed 30 days from your purchase to transfer your old tags. Untill then you can run your old tags, same as TN. I believe that i will take a tag off one of my other vehicles with me and use it. They wont know that i didnt sell the other vehicle and the registration is in my name so if i get pulled over i will just say i am transfering the tags.

Sounds good in theory doesn't it?

So why am i worried? lol

Thanks
Mike

maybe different states have different rules but i though if you were running tags from a different vehicle it's consider a felony?

i'm just curious.. are the tags on the NSX over due? i remember that if you are buying a vehicle with due tags it's ok to drive from the buyers place straight to your house without getting in trouble. i may be wrong though.

darknezz_ghost said:
maybe different states have different rules but i though if you were running tags from a different vehicle it's consider a felony?

i'm just curious.. are the tags on the NSX over due? i remember that if you are buying a vehicle with due tags it's ok to drive from the buyers place straight to your house without getting in trouble. i may be wrong though.

Thats why i was worried, because i dont know. I can imagine them dragging the wings west off on the tow truck:frown:

This is from the ohio code which is similar to TN

4) If the original owner of a motor vehicle that has been transferred makes application for the registration of another motor vehicle at any time during the remainder of the registration period for which the transferred motor vehicle was registered, the owner may file an application for transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates. The transfer of the registration and, where applicable, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued to a succeeding motor vehicle purchased by the same person in whose name the original registration and license plates were issued shall be done within a period not to exceed thirty days. During that thirty-day period, the license plates from the motor vehicle for which they originally were issued may be displayed on the succeeding motor vehicle, and the succeeding motor vehicle may be operated on the public roads and highways in this state.

At the time of application for transfer, the registrar shall compute and collect the amount of tax due on the succeeding motor vehicle, based upon the amount that would be due on a new registration as of the date on which the transfer is made less a credit for the unused portion of the original registration beginning on that date. If the credit exceeds the amount of tax due on the new registration, no refund shall be made. In computing the amount of tax due and credits to be allowed under this division, the provisions of division (B)(1)(a) and (b) of section 4503.11 of the Revised Code shall apply. As to passenger cars, noncommercial vehicles, motor homes, and motorcycles, transfers within or between these classes of motor vehicles only shall be allowed. If the succeeding motor vehicle is of a different class than the motor vehicle for which the registration originally was issued, new license plates also shall be issued upon the surrender of the license plates originally issued and payment of the fees provided in divisions (C) and (D) of section 4503.10 of the Revised Code.
I guess you need to be a lawyer to know what it actually means.

Mike

Mike,

You can switch out your old plate to the new car in Ohio for 30 days. However, you are putting a TN tag on an Ohio registered car. I'm not sure how that will work. Remember you will also be crossing KY on your way home.

I'll be at the Ohio BMV Monday 10/16 and I'll ask the question for you. Check back here Monday eve.

Alan

I'll wait if I were you. I rather just do the right thing and have a piece of mind driving back home knowing that you have all the paper works with you.

Don't risk it bro. It's like asking yourself after heavy drinking @ the bar, should I drive home?

It's a alwas 50/50 chance you'll get pull over.

I lived in Cinci and from Nashville.

I bought my RX7 in Nashville and drove it back to Cinci. All you need is bill of sales and the title. If you get pulled over, thats all you need to show. And you have 30 days until you need to register your car in State of Tennessee (also OH and i believe all the states in US).

when i bought mine in florida, we went to the tax collector's office and they issued a temp tag on the spot with proof of title and bill of sale. check with the dmv, its really the best way to go

When I bought my car in IL to drive back to Ohio, I went to the IL DMV and purchased a 7 day in transit tag. I did get pulled over when back in Ohio on my way home from the Ohio DMV but the police officer just took a look at the IL tag and let me go after i showed him my new registration (I still needed to get an E check from the EPA and so could not get an actual Ohio temp tag). You might inquire with the Ohio DMV as to whether you could purchase an "in-transit" tag for your trip home.

Alan C. said:
Mike,

You can switch out your old plate to the new car in Ohio for 30 days. However, you are putting a TN tag on an Ohio registered car. I'm not sure how that will work. Remember you will also be crossing KY on your way home.

I'll be at the Ohio BMV Monday 10/16 and I'll ask the question for you. Check back here Monday eve.

Alan

Alan,
That would be a great help and i would appreciate it very much.

Thanks
Mike

Thanks guys for the advice I am just a little worried bacause this is my first nsx and i dont want anything to happen to it. (you remember how that was)

Mike

Back