Advice on red 92 JH4NA1153NT000422

c30

I took a look and test drive on this NSX and I would like some helpful input in this NSX, its red and the paint is in good condition not a scratch on the car, it handles real well, it it goes to the left slightly maybe it was the road surface, but it handled fine in the center lane. Missing floormats, no spare tire, no air jack, condensation in the tail lights and some moisture in the trunk, and they drilled holes for the front plate.

Other than that it has 50,000 miles asking 32,999 my limit is 25-30k, and I can't seem to find a cleaner one around the area, they said they installed a new clutch. I've always been a fan of this car, and I currently own an 05 s2000. I would appreciate the advice from you guys knowing this car is a 92. There no trace of service history at all, but the engine looked dusty and unmolested for the most part, and underneath the hood of the front looked a lot cleaner than the engine bay.

VIN
JH4NA1153NT000422

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...smission=&max_price=&cardist=9&standard=falsehttp://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ice=&cardist=9&standard=false&captcha=success

Last edited:
First thing I would do is make sure that tranmission isn't in snap ring range. If it is, it isn't worth that price. Why was the clutch replaced with only 50K miles? Makes me wonder if it was abused. My 92 had over 125K on the stock clutch. If there are no service records on the car plan on spending another $5K or so to bring it up to snuff.

1+ on the snap ring, check only by the tranny serial #.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Condensation in the taillights is normal. If there is no paperwork showing service history, even the "new" clutch, then it was never done and expect to do it yourself. The timing belt and water pump are way past due if not yet done and is $1800+

My first clutch went at 50K miles and that is not uncommon for these cars.
The current price is high for a stock NSX even with 50K miles, especially without the service records. Make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection from an NSX tech or shop that knows NSX's well.

1+ on the snap ring, check only by the tranny serial #.
http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Troubleshooting/transmission.htm

Condensation in the taillights is normal. If there is no paperwork showing service history, even the "new" clutch, then it was never done and expect to do it yourself. The timing belt and water pump are way past due if not yet done and is $1800+

My first clutch went at 50K miles and that is not uncommon for these cars.
The current price is high for a stock NSX even with 50K miles, especially without the service records. Make sure you get a pre-purchase inspection from an NSX tech or shop that knows NSX's well.

Listen really carefully to this advice by FeetFXR - it's right on point. My first impression here is this is a typical dealer sell job. No records wanting top dollar - PROVE IT - that's what you say about the clutch- where's the proof it was done! You should be able to tell though - but when?

The snap ring is a big issue but the fact that it's gone 50k miles isn't a bad sign - it's actually a good one -but a PPI and knowing the range is a HUGE must on this car!

My real opinion here is this - there are too many of the early ones to justify paying a premium from a dealer with no records rather than an individual that has em all or a huge portion of them. There are a lot of early cars for sale on Prime Market and if it were me I'd buy from an individual where I can verify all this service stuff. Take it from a guy that bought a 91 in June and has put almost 6k in the car since then and bought it for 28.5k from an individual that had a folder full of receipts. These cars are not cheap to own - getting one from a dealer without records is just a mistake- unless you have access to a really good NSX mechanic to do the PPI. Even then these dealers often times get em from auctions - and they're there in the first place most likely cause some yo yo owned it last and didn't maintain it properly and its got a lot of deffered maintenance issues. There is lots I don't/ we don't know about this one - so how the heck does the dealer KNOW the clutch has been replaced anyway????/ mmmmmm, but then doesn't have any records ....mmmmmm- sounds fishy to me.

Bottom line here is also - the price is high!!! If I went to sell mine with around 34.5k in it - and a pile of records and recent big time maintenance - what do you think it should be worth and I did replace the clutch as one of those items of mine. Would it be worth what I have in it??????

Well just on the outset I think you are a little anxious to spend your money on an NSX. Take your time - be PATIENT! This is a big decision and the wrong one can just put a mega bad taste in your mouth about these cars! Words to the "wise". :wink: We are trying to save your tail!

Last edited:
My first NSX had the clutch replaced right before I bought it at about 30k miles. It does happen. It depends on the driver. Consider it a good thing if you can confirm the work was done.

High price and no records, dont do it,, you can find another NSX for less with records, Listen to these guys, dont JUMP on the NSX cuz you gotta have it, you will thank us later!! or will kick yourself for not

Listen really carefully to this advice by FeetFXR - it's right on point. My first impression here is this is a typical dealer sell job. No records wanting top dollar - PROVE IT - that's what you say about the clutch- where's the proof it was done! You should be able to tell though - but when?

The snap ring is a big issue but the fact that it's gone 50k miles isn't a bad sign - it's actually a good one -but a PPI and knowing the range is a HUGE must on this car!

My real opinion here is this - there are too many of the early ones to justify paying a premium from a dealer with no records rather than an individual that has em all or a huge portion of them. There are a lot of early cars for sale on Prime Market and if it were me I'd buy from an individual where I can verify all this service stuff. Take it from a guy that bought a 91 in June and has put almost 6k in the car since then and bought it for 28.5k from an individual that had a folder full of receipts. These cars are not cheap to own - getting one from a dealer without records is just a mistake- unless you have access to a really good NSX mechanic to do the PPI. Even then these dealers often times get em from auctions - and they're there in the first place most likely cause some yo yo owned it last and didn't maintain it properly and its got a lot of deffered maintenance issues. There is lots I don't/ we don't know about this one - so how the heck does the dealer KNOW the clutch has been replaced anyway????/ mmmmmm, but then doesn't have any records ....mmmmmm- sounds fishy to me.

Bottom line here is also - the price is high!!! If I went to sell mine with around 34.5k in it - and a pile of records and recent big time maintenance - what do you think it should be worth and I did replace the clutch as one of those items of mine. Would it be worth what I have in it??????

Well just on the outset I think you are a little anxious to spend your money on an NSX. Take your time - be PATIENT! This is a big decision and the wrong one can just put a mega bad taste in your mouth about these cars! Words to the "wise". :wink: We are trying to save your tail!

Thanks for the advice guys, i will continue searching for a better condition NSX with service records, and check for the snap ring. The price is high, the dealer wasn't too thrilled and didn't know much about the car at all. Carfax didn't show anything what so ever. I am also worried about the price and resale, but I am making a big decision that when I am getting this car I am going to keep it for a while. I am also concerned about resale, do dealers typically take trade ins on NSXs? Again thanks for the great advice.

I am also trying to get some knowledge on some NSX info in the local Seattle area

Last edited:
I dont know about what dealers will allow as a trade in, but if your worried about resale value, Dont, I bought my 1992 for 21,000 and in 10 years I will be able to sell it for 21,000 or more, these cars dont depreciate at all,
what better way to invest your money if what your investing in dose'nt lose value, and could possible bring you more, I think thats a great investment period.

Another thing is if you got a NSX with no records if you have the money and wanna do all ness repairs and keep the documents it will help with a future sale, like TB/WP done by dealer, Hoses replaced, just start saving every peice of paper regarding the car, and it will look good to the next Owner

Back