advice on gauges

Guys I need to have a boost and fuel pressure gauge installed in my car for the CTSC. I like a stock look... I know the GruppeM gauge is a nice boost gauge but that still leave the fuel pressure guage off. And its on backorder. Do I really need the fuel pressure gauge anyway?

Where else can these go? do I really need to keep an eye on them? I guess the benefit of the a pillar pods is that its reversible... easily... but I don't want to get too into the F&F look with glowing lights everywhere.

What fits in the ashtray? is the glovebox an OK location? is there anything that can read on a monitor besides the discontinued CAMP? that would certainly be the best way...

any advice is appreciated.

TURBO2GO said:
Guys I need to have a boost and fuel pressure gauge installed in my car for the CTSC. I like a stock look... I know the GruppeM gauge is a nice boost gauge but that still leave the fuel pressure guage off. And its on backorder. Do I really need the fuel pressure gauge anyway?

Where else can these go? do I really need to keep an eye on them? I guess the benefit of the a pillar pods is that its reversible... easily... but I don't want to get too into the F&F look with glowing lights everywhere.

What fits in the ashtray? is the glovebox an OK location? is there anything that can read on a monitor besides the discontinued CAMP? that would certainly be the best way...

Problem with gauges in the centre console near the ashtray or stereo is they are hard to see. The nav pod is probably the best place to put them.

The Gruppe M is by far the best way to go for your boost gauge.

Personally, I wouldn't bother about a fuel pressure gauge in cabin as you can put one in-line in the main fuel hose in the engine bay. It's not a gauge you need to constantly monitor like water & oil temps.

An idea is to put some pressure switches in and connect to some LED's so that if any fuel/oil/water pressures drop below normal a led and/or alarm sounds. It reduces the "clutter" as well as the workload whilst driving...

TURBO2GO said:
This the pic of old set up. I only have a boost gauge, this location is very easy to view. Required zero modification. The wires are now virtulaly hidden, no cheesy looking wires, thanks to Mark at Autowave.

I am very happy with this set up so far, boost/vacuum. If there is even a slight difference in vacuum you know. There are other guages I would get before even considering the fuel pressure gauge. Wideband 02, EGT, etc.

If you need to adjust the FPR, whatever shop or tuner you use should have one that plug into your FPR in the engine bay. That is about the only time you need to use it anyway.

Gauges I had on the Supra are Wideband 02, boost, egt, that is it.

11309boostagauge-2.jpg

nsxsupra said:
There are other guages I would get before even considering the fuel pressure gauge. Wideband 02, EGT, etc.
Totally agree. Granted, being starved of fuel is an especially dangerous condition for FI cars, but sudden problems in fuel delivery are rare. Most often the pump gets weaker over time with age and brush wear and its capacity diminshes. A fuel gauge in the engine bay doesn't do much good. You want to know there's a problem long before it deteriorates enough to show up with the car parked under no load. Fuel pressure can be monitored periodically to measure the pump's health--a gauge in the cabin is not necessary but convenient. More valuable are wideband O2 sensors, as they tell you the AF ratio at all times. They reflect how well a car is tuned and can indicate--though not pinpoint--problems with individual cylinders (spark/injector) or with the fuel pump.

Daedalus said:
A fuel gauge in the engine bay doesn't do much good. You want to know there's a problem long before it deteriorates enough to show up with the car parked under no load.

You obviously don't dyno tune your car then... :rolleyes:

AU_NSX said:
You obviously don't dyno tune your car then... :rolleyes:
I don't need to jump on a dyno to weigh relative value. Do you only care about the car's performance on a dyno, or do you care to monitor things on the road as well? The initial question was about what gauges to get. The answer involves triage. You can monitor as many parameters as you want. The point is a FP gauge, while not worthless, isn't as valuable as a wideband O2. If you are going to permanently install one, why would you limit its value by placing it in the engine bay? If you only want to read it on a dyno, ask the shop to measure FP for you, assuming they don't already plan to.

Daedalus,
You have a wonderful vocabulary. I sincerely am impressed. I mean that.

I agree with your thoughts on the need for the AFR gauge and have one on the way (Innovate) as well as a pillar gauge pod. I plan on customizing the pod to hold just one gauge, the AFR, and I want it where I can see it easily.
I have had a extra pre-cat bung installed for some time.

I like the Gruppe M gauge but don't like losing the other gauge in the cluster.

AU, you're right, there are better places to install the gauges if you want to monitor it at a easy glance. I monitor these gauges, boost, FP infrequently and didn't want them up in my face or up in a NAV pod.

Tach, temp, volt, oil pressure are the main gauges for me and I don''t want to sacrifice for a boost gauge which I am primarily using to monitor the SC belt stretch/wear.

AFR, I want that where I can see it. I should not have waited this long.

Daedalus, I do agree with you. However I should explian where I am coming from and why I think the engine bay is a good place for a fuel pressure gauge.

My car is principally a track car. I am trying to lessen the things that I have to monitor whilst I am watching the track in front of me, picking my lines and avoiding the traffic. I really have very little time to monitor gauges as well. So I chose to have only a boost and EGT gauges as the only additional gauges. I also have 2 LED's set up for any loss in any of the fluid pressures.

The FP gauge is included in the fuel line in the engine bay. This ensures there is minimal installation and no wiring required. I am interested in fuel pressure under full load because I run a custom manifold with 12 injectors. With the FP gauge in the engine bay I can ensure the fuel system is healthy at different boost settings and under full load during dyno testing without having to monitor it on the track.

So for me, a fuel pressure gauge is usefull but it is not something I want to monitor on the track or cluttering up the limited real estate in the cabin.

Daedalus said:
I don't need to jump on a dyno to weigh relative value. Do you only care about the car's performance on a dyno, or do you care to monitor things on the road as well? The initial question was about what gauges to get. The answer involves triage. You can monitor as many parameters as you want. The point is a FP gauge, while not worthless, isn't as valuable as a wideband O2. If you are going to permanently install one, why would you limit its value by placing it in the engine bay? If you only want to read it on a dyno, ask the shop to measure FP for you, assuming they don't already plan to.

I think this fuel line is a great idea and why I mentioned it:

Attachments

• img017.jpg
    img017.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 170
Isn't an EGT a better gauge to have than an AFR gauge? I have yet to see a GOOD AFR gauge. Maybe I have just had bad experiences, but none have been very accurate for me. I think I am going to go GruppeM for the boost...

If fuel pressure drops for any reason, that should effect the AFR anyway... so when you see things running lean on the AFR, you know something is up... be it fuel pressure or something else. Sounds like AFR or EGT is what I really want... not a fuel pressure gauge.

Who makes a quality AFR that actually works?

TURBO2GO said:
I have yet to see a GOOD AFR gauge. Maybe I have just had bad experiences, but none have been very accurate for me. I think I am going to go GruppeM for the boost...
There are good ones and bad ones. I am guessing you had Narrowband AFR gauges. Those are nothing more than a light show.

Wideband 02 AFR is the ones that is accurate, I had great experience with AEM Uego wideband 02 gauge:

http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/AEM/UEGO/

More people recommend Innovate LM-1:
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/products/engine_performance_products/NSX/Innovate/LM-1/

EGT is nice, if you run lean, the temperature will show. Some have peak and hold + warning light. You just set it and forget it. I found myself looking at EGT gauge a lot more often than wideband 02 AFR gauge.

I had real bad experience with Fuel Pressure gauge in the engine bay of my Supra. The lens of the gauge cracked due to heat and leak gasoline from inside of the gauge face area. Normally you don't pop the hood and check engine bay every day. I did not noticed it until I smelled gasoline from inside of cabin. Lucky the gasoline and exhaust manifold did not made the kiss of death.

TURBO2GO said:
Isn't an EGT a better gauge to have than an AFR gauge? I have yet to see a GOOD AFR gauge. Maybe I have just had bad experiences, but none have been very accurate for me. I think I am going to go GruppeM for the boost...

If fuel pressure drops for any reason, that should effect the AFR anyway... so when you see things running lean on the AFR, you know something is up... be it fuel pressure or something else. Sounds like AFR or EGT is what I really want... not a fuel pressure gauge.

Who makes a quality AFR that actually works?

Here: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

and here: http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=AVM%2D30%2D4100&N=4294925228+115&autoview=sku

TURBO2GO said:

I know nothing about this system but it is featured on the SOS website...

DEFI-Link Display

Anyone care to comment or share their experiences?

TURBO2GO said:
No boost on that thing... no AFR.... looks like a nice toy however.

Actually it does have a boost gauge on it if you connect it. It's got 7 different inputs (9 if you include speed and RPM).

It does not have AFR gauge. AFR gauges are not that common.

The Defi-Link system was showcased to great effect in one of the Best Motoring videos I have which highlighted the overheating the NSX is prone to when pushed hard continously.

Is it possible to get the boost kit for the defi-Link although its discontinued?
I've had Defi Display a while and have'nt got a chance to hook it up. I only have one gauge in my car for the boost but I notice some people have 2 or 3 are the other gauges important?

cheers

Last edited:
TURBO2GO said:
This innovate one looks good. Do you buy one with an 02 sensor or without? Use the factory or no?

They have a kit that includes, sensor, bung, wiring and gauge.
You will need to put in a additional bung and sensor to add a AFR gauge to your car.
If I recall the problem with the Defi- Link system was that the range for the FP gauge was tight for the CTSC at the upper limit.

pbassjo said:
If I recall the problem with the Defi- Link system was that the range for the FP gauge was tight for the CTSC at the upper limit.

Really? Do you know if that would be the case if you linked it up to the Defi-link digital display?

Reason why I'm interested is the Defi system allows limits to be set for the different inputs and an alarm will sound if any of those limits are exceeded. The alarm can be an LED light or aural or both.

I like the idea that I can concentrate on driving and not have to look at the gauges at all unless an alarm sounds and then I can see if there is a problem I need to monitor.

But I have never seen or know anyone with this Defi-Link system!

pbassjo said:
They have a kit that includes, sensor, bung, wiring and gauge.
You will need to put in a additional bung and sensor to add a AFR gauge to your car.

I have the Defi-Link system with Defi-BF boost and oil pressure gauges. One of the guys at SOS told me the same thing about the FP gauge, with regards to the upper limit. I am not sure about the digital disply though.

Guys has anyone here tried the SOS Pillar Pod? seems like the least work, the most reversible, and the most ricey looking :frown: option.

On the wideband A/F, isn't this more a tuning thing? if the car is tuned well, why do I need this guage? If the installer has a good AF meter and tunes my car, do I really need an AFR guage after? The pillar pod or the nav pod allow two gauges... I don't want to put something in there I don't really need. Space is limited.

AU_NSX said:
Problem with gauges in the centre console near the ashtray or stereo is they are hard to see. The nav pod is probably the best place to put them.

The Gruppe M is by far the best way to go for your boost gauge.

Personally, I wouldn't bother about a fuel pressure gauge in cabin as you can put one in-line in the main fuel hose in the engine bay. It's not a gauge you need to constantly monitor like water & oil temps.

An idea is to put some pressure switches in and connect to some LED's so that if any fuel/oil/water pressures drop below normal a led and/or alarm sounds. It reduces the "clutter" as well as the workload whilst driving...

I think this is solid advise. the gauge's are useless if you cant see them or need to strain to see them while driving in a spirited way. like mounted on the glove box,IMHO thats for show only.
my choice would-is fuel pressure in engine bay with redundant fuel pressure in a pillar pod, up front. if I was setting up your car I would goe:
BOOST,EGT,FUEL PRESSURE ON A THREE GAUGE A PILLER. The fuel pressure in the engine bay on the test port top of the fuel filter,this allows you to run a varied series of tests while you are in the bay with the pressure known with a glance,you can rev the motor at the throttle body,disconnect vacuum and perform all sorts of tests on the motor. just my .02
BTW after you learn to 'read' the EGT it is a wealth of info on what your A/F looks like at varied RPM'S and other important feedback.their are many web sites that teach you how to read the EGT and tap it for its full potential. I would also want oil temp and water temp on the ashtray site to be inclusive, then alls you need to do is mutitask all the info while driving very fast;)

best regards david

TURBO2GO said:
Guys has anyone here tried the SOS Pillar Pod? seems like the least work, the most reversible, and the most ricey looking :frown: option.

On the wideband A/F, isn't this more a tuning thing? if the car is tuned well, why do I need this guage? If the installer has a good AF meter and tunes my car, do I really need an AFR guage after? The pillar pod or the nav pod allow two gauges... I don't want to put something in there I don't really need. Space is limited.

Hi i am new to this forum, but i have been ghosting and learning more about the NSX as i plan to purphase one in the future.

anyways enough with the introduction, the reason why it is always good to have a wideband 02 sensor to monitor the car is because when you tune the ecu sometimes when there is an extreme weather change it would cause the tune to go out of whack.

like on my wideband, i tuned my car to run perfect at night when its 60-75 degrees out. the AFR's would show 11.7:1 now when its hot out during hte day time, the car could lean out to as much as 12.5:1 which is ideal for maximum power but is also on the very edge of reliablity. just because a car is tuned doens't mean it will always run the same from season to season. that is why it is always good to keep an eye on the wideband if you haven't beat on the car in a while.

Last edited:
Back