Advice on a car with a story

The story is, it was an '01 T on a lease. At some point it got into an accident, front-end, that doesn't show up on CarFax (thanks for the info Mike!). Was subsequently put on blocks for over 2 years, but was eventually repaired, returned to Acura dealer and then moved at auction. So that's 3 red flags right there. However, from that point it's lived a pretty normal life. It's been driven 50K since the incident, over the past 5 years, regular oil changes, etc. I'd think if there was a huge issue it would have been apparent by now.

QUOTE]

I'm wondering about this 2 year gap, I have a theory.

If the accident doesn't show up on CARFAX, perhaps the lessee had a lapse in full coverage insurance. He has an accident that was his fault(ie drunk driving, etc) he leaves the scene, never reports it.
At that point he didn't have the money to fix the car so it sat. (remember even a mild hit can go 5k easy)
At the end of the lease he tows it back in...who knows??

I would run an AUTOCHECK, it couldn''t hurt.

That's a pretty good theory mknmoves. I like it - you a private eye - lol. No really that is very believable and I bet it was something like that. All of a sudden the dealer gets the lease back and it kaplouiii. They fix it - don't want to certify it or have any connection to it and it goes to auction - no warranty no nutin! Out o here! Makes a lot of sense!

Now to further explore that theory - maybe it takes a while for someone to notice it's got an issue - so this guy that's been driving it around for 5 years trades it in to avoid any real scrutiny. Get's a new car and once again it's at some little dealer.

Well if that's really what happened - I would RUN FORREST RUN! That's close enough to warrant me just going right on down the road! Thing for Uber is it sounds like he's got some money down and put himself out a bit and to get it back he's got to show there is something wrong or he'll loose that deposit and not only that he's got half an airplane ticket. I'll tell you though - that's chump change compared to what you could loose by just taking this car home overnight you could loose thousands.

I have to say I really don't like this at all. Good theory - probably close to the truth - but I think that Uber may already be on his way to look at the car! Hope he reads this.

The story is, it was an '01 T on a lease. At some point it got into an accident, front-end, that doesn't show up on CarFax (thanks for the info Mike!). Was subsequently put on blocks for over 2 years, but was eventually repaired, returned to Acura dealer and then moved at auction. So that's 3 red flags right there. However, from that point it's lived a pretty normal life. It's been driven 50K since the incident, over the past 5 years, regular oil changes, etc. I'd think if there was a huge issue it would have been apparent by now.

QUOTE]

I'm wondering about this 2 year gap, I have a theory.

If the accident doesn't show up on CARFAX, perhaps the lessee had a lapse in full coverage insurance. He has an accident that was his fault(ie drunk driving, etc) he leaves the scene, never reports it.
At that point he didn't have the money to fix the car so it sat. (remember even a mild hit can go 5k easy)
At the end of the lease he tows it back in...who knows??

I would run an AUTOCHECK, it couldn''t hurt.

Back