• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Ad changes - testing some new ad display options

I am working to clean up / move around / change some of the ads on the site over the weekend. If something looks weird just ignore it for the time being. I should have it all sorted out by Monday.

If stuff still looks weird or the changes seem to be causing functional problems with the site after Tuesday, please report them here.

Also if something completely breaks as a result of the changes over the weekend you can let me know here too.

I'll also be trying out some ad placement changes and will probably leave most of them up for a few days to gauge ad performance vs. impact on usability of the site. The most obvious one I am testing right now is ads to the right of the first post in every thread. I have all ads displayed to me, so it is pretty easy for me to get a feel changes after a couple days of getting use to something.

I am playing around with ads some more.

Some folks may see ads they did not see before.

Other folks may not see some ads in some places they were displayed the past couple weeks.

This will probably continue to change. I am trying to find the best placement to generate revenue to pay the bills without being overly intrusive / annoying to the members. If you have specific comments about ad placement or types of ads shown on the site, please let me know.

For anyone curious, the driver here is that I need to upgrade web hosting and thus want to increase ad revenue a bit to cover that cost. (This is not a plea for donations - I always appreciate them, but my specific goal here is to increase the recurring monthly ad revenue to offset the soon-to-be-increased monthly hosting cost.)

Back