Acura vs Honda badge

tremblantCruise41.jpg

myNSX3.jpg

:cool:

I changed everything that said Acura to Honda because to me that is what the car really is. It is a Honda with Honda racing heritage, and is recognized as a Honda everywhere else in the world. To me Acura is just a status badge that I do not really care about.

+1

And every other part on the car said Honda already anyway. Door sills, the motor, every part on the car says Honda Motor Corporation. And I'm proud to own Honda.

That is what I never understood...

people pay 80,000 for a Dodge (Viper)...and the kind of people that would be 'status motivated' would not have bought a NSX unless it had a prancing horse badge on the front. I think that for the most part, anybody truly interested in buying a NSX would have done so regardless of a Honda or Acura badge... those that care about the badging would probably have overlooked the NSX anyway...

actually it makes a lot of sense. . japanese cars are foreign. they're known as cheap econobox 4bangers with good mileage. its the stereotype. by marketing things such as infiniti, lexus, and acura, you can try and push off the negative stereotype of being an econobox and people start associating it more with the luxury car image. just remember a lot of america is still pretty closeminded/unknowledgable. a lot of people ive talked to are still unaware that inifiniti, lexus, and acura are actually sister companies.

american brands have different images to americans. like dodge and chevy. so is understandable they dont need to make the same changes like a japanese car company does

Actually, I know a lot of people who changed the badges on their GS/LS to the Japanese Aristo/Celsior badges and Toyota badges. The problem is after I believe 2000, or 2001 Lexus started labeling more things with the Lexus name vs Toyota like on all the glass.

I was going to do the swap on both the IS200 and IS300 that I used to own, but as ChrisK said, you have to change out all 8 pieces of glass (major pain). In addition, there is no equivalent stereo faceplate for LHD IS200/300s that will have the controls labeled properly. There are so many little things that say "Lexus", I am almost beginning to think they made it difficult on purpose. Just off the top of my head, I can think of:

Front Emblem
Rear Emblem
Rear Script
4 door sill plates
4 wheel center caps
all 8 pieces of glass
Engine cover
Stereo Faceplate (no LHD equivalent available)
Rear deck speaker grilles
All 4 floormats (no LHD equivalent available)
Airbag
Warning triangle box (my cars were Euro spec, US cars don't have this)
All 3 keys
Owner's manual cover/sleeve
Owner's manual (no LHD equivalent available)

In the end, I just drove them as Lexus. :tongue:

I changed everything that said Acura to Honda because to me that is what the car really is. It is a Honda with Honda racing heritage, and is recognized as a Honda everywhere else in the world. To me Acura is just a status badge that I do not really care about.

Senna's McLaren was not powered by Acura...

Acura is pretty much meaningless to me, but Honda is the Power of Dreams! :smile: Just check out the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_1gPRCLCo

Some photos of my car...

HT4U2810.JPG

DSC_4702.JPG

I think it's funny that so many people justify removing the Acura badge because they "don't care about the status of my car" but also justify replacing it with a Honda badge because of the "rich F1 racing heritage" that Honda has.:cool:

You either care about the status of the badge or not. You can't have it both ways, fellas.

J

I have seen Scion's with Toyota badges, as well as Infiniti's with Nissan badges. Then there are the truly crazy which have been seen on this forum a few times of Supra's and Vette's with Ferarri badges. Mustang's with badges from a Skyline GTR. Ummm yeah.

I always thought about getting Honda badges for my NSX, but then never got around to it. Maybe I could get Honda badges for my NSX, then use the Acura badges on my Honda Fit! :tongue: :biggrin:

I have seen Scion's with Toyota badges, as well as Infiniti's with Nissan badges. Then there are the truly crazy which have been seen on this forum a few times of Supra's and Vette's with Ferarri badges. Mustang's with badges from a Skyline GTR. Ummm yeah.

In my years of being a fan of Supras and Corvettes (as well as the NSX), I've never seen a Ferrari badge on a Supra or a Vette....but I HAVE seen them on NSX's. I think the NSX would pass for a Ferrari moreso then the other cars mentioned since it looks more exotic IMO.

I left my Acura badge on because when I see the Honda badge, I think of the Civics with big wings, "H" and "type-R" stickers plastered all over it.

Although I wouldn't switch to the "H" badging, the racing heritage of Honda is a pretty good reason to switch for those who did.

I think it's funny that so many people justify removing the Acura badge because they "don't care about the status of my car" but also justify replacing it with a Honda badge because of the "rich F1 racing heritage" that Honda has.:cool:

You either care about the status of the badge or not. You can't have it both ways, fellas.

J

Actually, you may be missing the boat. The Acura badge represents an economic status symbol where Honda had to invent a new name for their car to sell it to the North American snob market that wanted something more elite sounding than 'Honda'. I think that labeling is retarded, and so does the rest of the world, hence the reason Acura does not really exist anywhere else other than here. The F1 heritage has NOTHING to do with that economic snobbery, and has EVERYTHING to do with the inspiration that created the car. So....sorry to burst your bubble...but you may have misunderstood the point.

I am pretty convinced that people on this forum want to change things just to change things. If it said Honda already and it was black, then they would change it to red. If it was red, then they'd change it to where it has a different border.

People here are all nuts. :biggrin:

um... and why did I change my coolant tank? :biggrin:

Actually, you may be missing the boat. The Acura badge represents an economic status symbol where Honda had to invent a new name for their car to sell it to the North American snob market that wanted something more elite sounding than 'Honda'. I think that labeling is retarded, and so does the rest of the world, hence the reason Acura does not really exist anywhere else other than here. The F1 heritage has NOTHING to do with that economic snobbery, and has EVERYTHING to do with the inspiration that created the car. So....sorry to burst your bubble...but you may have misunderstood the point.

I think everyone on this board (including myself) understands the motivation for Honda inventing the Acura brand. For those out there like us, we know Acuras are made by Honda and it won't affect sales at all. For those who are snobs and need an elite badge, Acura may have filled the bill and Honda is getting more sales. For those who are clueless to the whole thing, it's hard to tell if it makes a difference in Honda's sales. So, the new badge either made no difference or increased sales. Inventing Acura certainly didn't *hurt* Honda so I'm sure they knew what they were doing.

I also think that everyone on this board (including myself) knows about Honda's F1 reputation and its influence on our NSXs and that it's not related to the elite-ness of the Acura brand.

My comment is regarding people who say a badge doesn't define status, that Acura means nothing to them. Then they turn around and say that the Honda badge relates to the company's racing history (their F1 racing "status" if you will) and therefore they would like to be associated with it.

I guess if I'm missing the point, it's that people who spend the extra money to go out of their way to change a badge that doesn't matter are doing it because they would like to associate themselves with a successful racing background and not with "Acura snobs". Which is fine... I get that. But then, just don't say that the badge doesn't matter to you, that's all. If you're going out of your way to change it, obviously it matters to you.

Not trying to pick any fights here... just saying that I think some owners are being hypocritical. Kinda like owners who talk about not upsetting the delicate balance of the car then put their car on a diet, pulling out stuff not knowing how it may affect the balance, only the net weight of the car... but that's another thread. :rolleyes:

J

That's it. Where can I buy a GT-R badge for my NSX??!! :tongue: :biggrin:

Acura didn't invent the "luxury brand" to sell to Americans...it's been going on in the car industry longer then Honda has been selling cars...(See Cadillac and Lincoln)...It's called marketing:redface:

IMO changing an "A" to an "H" looks good, but it is kinda ricey...I know that people have their own reasons, but it just comes off looking like that to me..JMHO:smile:

north american snob market? no offense, but every country has a "snob" market. that's why EVERY country will sell designer this and brand name that.

how do you explain ACURA IN JAPAN or LEXUS IN JAPAN. (or the fact that they sell designer crap in all sorts of stores over there)

bottom line, your car came out of the factory with A badges on it. you're not "reverting" anything. everybdoy knows that acuras are hondas - it's no secret.

actually, the price for some of those badges is just stupid.

now all you guys need to do is register and insure your cars as a honda (not acura). good luck.

I think everyone on this board (including myself) understands the motivation for Honda inventing the Acura brand. For those out there like us, we know Acuras are made by Honda and it won't affect sales at all. For those who are snobs and need an elite badge, Acura may have filled the bill and Honda is getting more sales. For those who are clueless to the whole thing, it's hard to tell if it makes a difference in Honda's sales. So, the new badge either made no difference or increased sales. Inventing Acura certainly didn't *hurt* Honda so I'm sure they knew what they were doing.

I also think that everyone on this board (including myself) knows about Honda's F1 reputation and its influence on our NSXs and that it's not related to the elite-ness of the Acura brand.

My comment is regarding people who say a badge doesn't define status, that Acura means nothing to them. Then they turn around and say that the Honda badge relates to the company's racing history (their F1 racing "status" if you will) and therefore they would like to be associated with it.

I guess if I'm missing the point, it's that people who spend the extra money to go out of their way to change a badge that doesn't matter are doing it because they would like to associate themselves with a successful racing background and not with "Acura snobs". Which is fine... I get that. But then, just don't say that the badge doesn't matter to you, that's all. If you're going out of your way to change it, obviously it matters to you.

Not trying to pick any fights here... just saying that I think some owners are being hypocritical. Kinda like owners who talk about not upsetting the delicate balance of the car then put their car on a diet, pulling out stuff not knowing how it may affect the balance, only the net weight of the car... but that's another thread. :rolleyes:

J

I see your point as well. I guess when I speak of not caring about a badge, what I mean is that I do not care about people thinking my 'Acura' is somehow better than a 'Honda'. Economic badge snob crap is what I hate. I have actually heard people straight faced say that their 'Acura' is better than my 'Honda'. Logic does not work with these idiots. I hope you see better where I come from, and thank you very much for clarifying your position. I appreciate that.

Acura didn't invent the "luxury brand" to sell to Americans...it's been going on in the car industry longer then Honda has been selling cars...(See Cadillac and Lincoln)...It's called marketing:redface:

IMO changing an "A" to an "H" looks good, but it is kinda ricey...I know that people have their own reasons, but it just comes off looking like that to me..JMHO:smile:

I am well aware of what marketing is. Please re-read what I wrote. I said this:

'The Acura badge represents an economic status symbol where Honda had to invent a new name for their car to sell it to the North American snob market that wanted something more elite sounding than 'Honda'.'

I never said Honda invented luxury branding, I said they had to come up with their own luxury brand to sell here. Like it or not, North America is pretty much the only place where they had to do this.

north american snob market? no offense, but every country has a "snob" market. that's why EVERY country will sell designer this and brand name that.

how do you explain ACURA IN JAPAN or LEXUS IN JAPAN. (or the fact that they sell designer crap in all sorts of stores over there)

bottom line, your car came out of the factory with A badges on it. you're not "reverting" anything. everybdoy knows that acuras are hondas - it's no secret.

actually, the price for some of those badges is just stupid.

now all you guys need to do is register and insure your cars as a honda (not acura). good luck.

Okay...we are not talking about clothes here. This is an NSX forum. Now go to Ebay and look at what the brochures IN JAPAN label the NSX as....it says HONDA!

Anyone who denies that North America is the primary consumer of luxury goods and the biggest target of brand labeling in the world has been asleep in economics class.

Look. This is a battle nobody wins. You may think people like me are idiots for swapping my badges for Honda ones to make myself happy. At the end of the day, there are worse things I could spend my money on than that. You spend your money, I will spend mine however I see fit. Why some people have a burr up their a$$ to outwardly insult what others enjoy, like converting the car back to a Honda badges vehicle, I will never understand. If you do not like it, don't do it! Just let the rest of us have our fun. But then again you must be perfect...so I cannot fault any of your decisions.

4. If you get a parking ticket that says Acura, end the car is a "Honda" in the papers you can wriggle your way out of paying the fine.. :D

Thats why I want to see if there is someone that want to trade my Honda to a Acura badge.. :)

Yeah....not. The court will always go with the license plate and the last 4 of the VIN. Meter maids make mistakes re make, color, model all the time.

I am well aware of what marketing is. Please re-read what I wrote. I said this:

'The Acura badge represents an economic status symbol where Honda had to invent a new name for their car to sell it to the North American snob market that wanted something more elite sounding than 'Honda'.'

I never said Honda invented luxury branding, I said they had to come up with their own luxury brand to sell here. Like it or not, North America is pretty much the only place where they had to do this.

I never said you said they invented luxury branding, just saying it has been around longer then Honda itself...America is the leader in business and marketing and now even Japan has Lexus, Acura, Infiniti, etc... soon most countries will have them also...It is what it is...a way for companies to grow..
If not for "Acura"( luxury branding), Honda may have never made the NSX...
just a thought:redface:

my question is:
are you going to re-badge your cars with the H emblem when the japanese ones have the "A" on it?

once again, your car isn't a honda. it's a left hand drive, non fog light, long- geared acura. sucks to be you.

Back