Acura to debut new prototype at NAIS

It's not my intent to re-kindle previous posts regarding any future NSX but as I was scanning the October newsletter for the 2003 North American International Auto Show (which is only about a month away), I found the following quote: "Honda’s Acura division will
reveal for the first time a prototype for an
upcoming production model." Given the time span between the original NSX prototype and the prod'n model, the timing seems to maybe be right. We can always hope. Newsletter at http://www.naias.com/showtalk/October2002.pdf

------------------
91 Blk/Blk daily driver
100K+ miles & still going strong

Sorry to post off-topic from your original thread, but I must say you have an interesting Avatar NSX2398. Does the low front of the NSX serve as an effective snow clearer?

Regards.

Originally posted by NSXaholic:
Does the low front of the NSX serve as an effective snow clearer?

Regards.

Actually, the stock ground clearance to the lip of the front spoiler is a little over 5" and nearly 6" during winter when I run 60 series snow tires. We rarely get 6" at a time (that's about 4" in the avatar) so it has not been an issue in the 11 months that I've been doing it.

------------------
91 Blk/Blk daily driver

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
More likely that it will be the prototype for the hybrid sedan that they have already indicated is coming.

I thought that the DN-X was the prototype for the hybrid sedan so hasn't it already been 'unveiled'?

------------------
91 Blk/Blk daily driver

I think it will probably be the replacement for the Acura RL.

-CiaoBoy

Originally posted by NSX2398:
It's not my intent to re-kindle previous posts regarding any future NSX but as I was scanning the October newsletter for the 2003 North American International Auto Show (which is only about a month away), I found the following quote: "Honda’s Acura division will
reveal for the first time a prototype for an
upcoming production model." Given the time span between the original NSX prototype and the prod'n model, the timing seems to maybe be right. We can always hope. Newsletter at http://www.naias.com/showtalk/October2002.pdf

Just bought an MDX the other day and the owner said there are three major changes.

The TL will radically change
A new model to compete with the Lexus IS300
And a new RL

I believe he said the TL and new model are up first.

BTW, the MDX is super. I had a Lexus LX470 and it was a hog compared to the MDX.

------------------

It may very well be the TSX, a new car to be slotted in between the TL and RL. I saw pics of it in a recent car mag (AutoWeek?) and basically it's the new European Accord with Acura badges.

Originally posted by Vytas:
It may very well be the TSX, a new car to be slotted in between the TL and RL. I saw pics of it in a recent car mag (AutoWeek?) and basically it's the new European Accord with Acura badges.

That car is the one that will be slotted below the TL. It's the entry-level four-door; some consider it a replacement for the discontinued four-door Integra, while I suppose it could indeed be considered a competitor for the IS300.

IMHO, what you guys are talking about is not a 'prototype', it's a 'pre-production' model (ie. something we're likely to see in 3-6 mos). Prototypes are vehicles that we likely won't see for at least 18-24 months, if ever.
Prototypes sometimes don't even have working running gear (unless they're prototyping new drive trains). The original NS-X was a prototype and the prod'n version didn't show up for well over a year (I think). The DualNote is a prototype that won't see the light of day in that form for a long time.
The European Accord thing is not a prototype and it sounds like the TL and RL replacements will likely happen in the next year so, again, I don't think you'd consider them a 'prototype'.

The point has been made several times that Honda does not go public with anything in the year (or more) before it's released and yet at the NAIAS they're going very public with the world premiere of a new 'prototype'. In my mind, the timeframe is much more in sync with something they want to announce in 18-24 mos ... like a new NSX!

------------------
- Ian
91 Blk/Blk daily driver; 100K+ miles & still going strong

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
That car is the one that will be slotted below the TL. It's the entry-level four-door; some consider it a replacement for the discontinued four-door Integra, while I suppose it could indeed be considered a competitor for the IS300.

Oops! You're right. But then again, as mentioned, this is a pre-production car and not a prototype.

The car that will be introduced is the TSX, as someone else said basicly a Europen Accord with Acura badges...its interesting that they wont be showing a new TL or RL, as these were both suposed to be redesigned for next model year.

Back