Acura TL vs Cobalt SS SC

I ran into a cobalt today which reeled me in good. He cut me off twice and when I tried to pass I was not able to. Mind you the Tl is not a under powered car and I did not think I would have a problem over powering a cobalt but this thing was quick. Immediately after getting in I went online to investigate and my suspections were confirmed.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
Base price $21,995
Price as tested $24,000 (est)
Vehicle layout Front engine, FWD, 2-door, 5-pass coupe
Engine 2.0L/205-hp supercharged I-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
0-60 mph, sec 6.0
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 14.5 @ 98.2
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 115
200-ft skidpad, avg g 0.89
600-ft slalom, mph 69.0
On sale in U.S. January 2005

Those things are pretty quick, for the money. My neighbor has one. But in the end, it's still a Cobalt and not a TL.:wink:

You can get a stage II upgrade kit for those things for around $630. It that up's the HP to 245. Those little bugers can get real fast real cheap considering there 4 bangers.

Believe it or not I'm considering buying one of those for my step-daughter. You can pick one up for 18 - 19K brand new.

The Cobalts are running the Ecotec Engine (along with alot of Saturn's). Those Ecotec (GM) engines can get CRAZY modded... I am running a turbo ecotec in my Sandcar and it may not have alot of torque, but it gets the job done... There's a hill that everybody races up in Glamis Dunes called "Oldsmobile hill" and I've spanked a few LS1's with my ecotec (their cars are also bigger/heavier)... I'm pushing about 340RWHP out of this ecotec with about 6lbs of boost on 87 octane... But if you do that to the ecotec in the cobalt... well, in the end... you're still driving a cobalt.

Pismo028.jpg

Glamis_10.jpg

Last edited:
From a lanch or lowspeed roll, I could see the SS pulling on a TL, especially an automatic.

From a highway roll, I'd still put my $ on the TL; it should have a higher top speed.

I ran into a cobalt today which reeled me in good. He cut me off twice and when I tried to pass I was not able to. Mind you the Tl is not a under powered car and I did not think I would have a problem over powering a cobalt but this thing was quick. Immediately after getting in I went online to investigate and my suspections were confirmed.

2005 Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged
Base price $21,995
Price as tested $24,000 (est)
Vehicle layout Front engine, FWD, 2-door, 5-pass coupe
Engine 2.0L/205-hp supercharged I-4, DOHC, 4 valves/cyl
0-60 mph, sec 6.0
1/4 mile, sec @ mph 14.5 @ 98.2
Braking, 60-0 mph, ft 115
200-ft skidpad, avg g 0.89
600-ft slalom, mph 69.0
On sale in U.S. January 2005

I have a friend of myn that has a 2005 ss , he is here on prime also under modernceo Great person to know. He has a modded ss Silver 1st one in tx. Carbon fiber wing , hood (i think) black and red interior And lots of upgrades. I think he wants to sell it soon, only has about 7k on it other .http://modernperformance.com/gm/cobalt_dyno_session1.jpg on it i think.

Last edited:
From a lanch or lowspeed roll, I could see the SS pulling on a TL, especially an automatic.

From a highway roll, I'd still put my $ on the TL; it should have a higher top speed.

I did not want to find out who had the higher top speed but from a highway roll he had me. He was not a courteious driver so I did not want to entertain him for very long. I enjoy playing around a bit but not when you drive like a A-hole.

What year TL do you have? I had a 2004 and that car was pretty quick.

I had both a 2002 TL S-Type and currently a 06 TL and yes my 2002 felt much quicker. Recently drove the new 07 TL S-Type 6 speed and although it did not feel much quicker then what I have now I like the 6 speed alot more.

Bailey,I think you need to put more than 18 lbs of air in your front tires:tongue:

Next time someone tries to race you when your in your TL and their in their Chev or whatever, ask them if they'll race for pinks against the X. :wink: I ABSOLUTELY hate it when kids do that.

I did that to a bunch of Clowns when I was in my girlfriends car, and this guy in a Cav tried starting something. He had the pretty Air fuel gauge, and volt meter, so I asked him at the lights, with $1000 cash in my hand, if he would race my X for pinks and $1000 bucks.....needless to say, he will choose his races wisely.....

Ive seen many videos of the ss walking on gto's and other fast cars. There pretty light and the ecotec is a very strong motor!

Bailey I don't know :confused: the specs on the TL (at least the 6 speed) and the Cobalt seem real close. He shouldn't have "reeled you in" that easily. I suspect he probably had some upgrades.

On the flip side I've run at least 2 Cobalts in my little CRX and it's quite amusing :)

Bailey I don't know :confused: the specs on the TL (at least the 6 speed) and the Cobalt seem real close. He shouldn't have "reeled you in" that easily. I suspect he probably had some upgrades.

On the flip side I've run at least 2 Cobalts in my little CRX and it's quite amusing :)

I suspect the same also John but I was still alittle bit in shock that this little car was so quick. I can say the same about your little CRX .......lol.

I almost bought one yesterday. 18K for a brand new 06 ss/sc:redface: . I backed out as I really don't need another toy....... I'm starting to show my age:frown: .

I suspect the same also John but I was still alittle bit in shock that this little car was so quick. I can say the same about your little CRX .......lol.
Maybe it was the driver............................................:eek:

Thank God I didn't hold my breath, what was it 6 weeks ago you said you'd be back!!!!!:rolleyes:

Your wrong .....it was more like 8 weeks ago:wink: :wink:

waiting for warmer weather to break my friend .... I got a BrianK speaker kit to install still also.....havent heard music in my car except for the Tubi in three years.

Your wrong .....it was more like 8 weeks ago:wink: :wink:

waiting for warmer weather to break my friend .... I got a BrianK speaker kit to install still also.....havent heard music in my car except for the Tubi in three years.
Yeah, but the Tubi sounds great, hell of alot better than the Cowsills!!!!:biggrin:

Back