Acura TL Type S

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060808/FREE/60808002/1024/TOC01ARCHIVE

"The Type-S features 286 horsepower (256 lb ft) from a new 3.5-liter V6, and includes a re-tuned suspension and S specific exterior styling and interior trim."

Honestly, I am dissapointed with the HP. They should be able to do better than 286Hp out of a 3.5 V6. The Lexus GS350 is supposed to have 303HP and I think even more TQ than the Honda motor.

I am a little surprised they didn't come out with a AWD version with even more HP.

I couldn't agree with you more.. 286 out of a 3.5 just dosen't sound right to me. but i'd take it anyday as a daily driver.

IS350 vs TL Type S...

I think it was more of a Torque steering issue with FF, also, it is a SOHC instead of DOHC. My little bro just bought a 3.2 TL, I drove the car and I wasn't too thrill with the torque steering. The car is smooth and comfortable, I like it. I think SHAWD should be an option with the new Type S.

Is Toyota on SAE standard? If not, TL may very well have 300HP in old standard.

Vancehu said:
IS350 vs TL Type S...

I think it was more of a Torque steering issue with FF, also, it is a SOHC instead of DOHC. My little bro just bought a 3.2 TL, I drove the car and I wasn't too thrill with the torque steering. The car is smooth and comfortable, I like it. I think SHAWD should be an option with the new Type S.

Is Toyota on SAE standard? If not, TL may very well have 300HP in old standard.

I THINK Lexus is using the new ratings, but I am not sure.

Anyway, I was talking about the new GS350, not IS350.

"Introducing the new, incredibly powerful Lexus GS 350. The numbers speak volumes: 3.5-liter V6, 303 horsepower [1], 274 lb-ft of torque [1]. Numbers that translate into a potent experience at every green light, entrance ramp and passing lane.

Complementing the faster-than-fast new GS 350 is an inspired available Lexus voice-activated DVD Navigation System [3] with Generation 5 software capable of not just recognizing more than 100 voice commands, but realizing the need to offer directions as quickly as the GS is fast."

Lexus GS will get more power
Model in showrooms Engine hp torque LBS.-FT. 0-60 MPH
GS 300 Now 3.0-liter V-6 245 230 6.8 seconds
GS 350 Fall 2006 3.5-liter V-6 306* 277* 5.6 seconds*

GS 430 Now 4.3-liter V-8 300 325 5.7 seconds
GS 460 Spring 2007 4.6-liter V-8 380* 370* n/a

*Estimate
Source: Lexus

off topic- nice avatar zuerst....i've got a crazy husky as well.

well, it's a start. i too was really hoping for the AWD that The Kid mentioned a while back. I like that the nav system now offers real time traffic like the RL.

According to the Lexus website, the new IS was tested under the new SAE standards. I'm not sure about the other vehicles though. I couldn't find much and don't have that much time to search.

I'm sure this new Type S will be pretty quick. I've driven the 6-speed "regular" TL and it was not slow by any means. I'm sure they aren't going to put SH-AWD in the Type S anytime soon. If they did, it would have a 3.5L, 5 speed auto with paddle shifters, and SH-AWD. What would be the point of the RL then?

I believe all manufacturers selling in the US are now using the new SAE standards.

I also think the motor in the new GS350 is essentially the same motor as the IS350.

As to the new TL... I'm still not excited about this car.

As I've posted a zillion times, I think the TL is a very good value. But it's not exciting to drive, it has horrible, horrible, horrible torque steer (and that was the old, less poweful model) and it rattles and squeeks like an '86 Ford Taurus.

I love Honda. I think they make some excellent cars and motorcycles. But they have to get away from this FWD nonsense if they really want to appeal to enthusiasts. The old 3.2L TL was way too much car for FWD... this is just going to be a mess.

I personally don't want RWD for a primary vehicle. In some areas of the country, (where I live) RWD sucks to drive durning the winter months. I'd rather have AWD or FWD. But that's just me.

robr said:
well, it's a start. i too was really hoping for the AWD that The Kid mentioned a while back. I like that the nav system now offers real time traffic like the RL.
Yeah me too. I was holding out for that car in hopes that it would be my next car.

I don't think the link was given by the original poster. This is also from that same Autoweek article. There are 25 pictures of the Type S. I can't link it right now. There seems to be a problem, but if you got to their site, you can find it there.

White92 said:
I don't think the link was given by the original poster. This is also from that same Autoweek article. There are 25 pictures of the Type S. I can't link it right now. There seems to be a problem, but if you got to their site, you can find it there.
Looks like their site is down, I can't get in to see. Can you post the direct link?

Very disappointing numbers considering a stock TL has 270 hp. Don't get me wrong, the TL is a nice car but badging it a Type S with a slight increase in horsepower is bad marketing. At least their is a huge hp difference in a regular Mercedes compared to the AMG version or BMW with an M version.

Others mentioned, but here's a reminder: The standard TL has "only" 258 HP and 233 ft-lbs torque when measured with the same standard. So, with an extra 28 HP and 23 ft-lbs, the Type-S has a 10% HP and 10% torque advantage over the base.

In the previous generation, the Type-S had +35 HP and +16 ft-lbs (measured using the old standard). This corresponds to 16% HP, but only 7% torque advantage over the base.

In terms of engine output gain, the new Type-S is about what I'd expect (especially since it's limited by FWD).

Most ratings that end in 0 or 5 are old, I don't think any 'new' engine can use the old ratings but there may be a car out there with an older engine posting old ratings.
Regardless, the new Lexus 3.5 is DOHC V6 with DI, isn't it? Honda is not..though it's probably the same engine as the RL so they clearly could put more power down if they wanted..The curves are probably more important here, especially for limiting "torque steer" (I don't have a problem with torque steer on my modified 02 TL-S; it's there, but it's not a problem if I have a hand on the steering wheel).

LeftLane said:
It looks exactly the same except for the quad tips.

It's not an all new TL. It's just a mid year model refreshening.

Ojas said:
Others mentioned, but here's a reminder: The standard TL has "only" 258 HP and 233 ft-lbs torque when measured with the same standard. So, with an extra 28 HP and 23 ft-lbs, the Type-S has a 10% HP and 10% torque advantage over the base.

I just don't find that impressive at all for a 3.5 L motor.

Of course, the TL has enough trouble putting down the power right now, with even more the Torque steer will be even worse.

Also, we do not know how much more weight the 3.5L motor adds vs the 3.2.

NetViper said:

Of course, the TL has enough trouble putting down the power right now, with even more the Torque steer will be even worse.

Also, we do not know how much more weight the 3.5L motor adds vs the 3.2.

I don't know how acurate the numbers are anyway. I don't think those are "official" figures from Acura. Maybe it will be more?

As far as the weight, I'm sure the 3.5 is slightly heavier than the 3.2. So the added weight over the front axels might offset any additional/potential torque steer. Plus, it's said to have firmer suspension settings which should help too.

Of course we could always wait for Comptech to offer a supercharger for it!:biggrin:

NetViper said:
It's still not surprising that 9% more displacement results in 10% more power and torque. It might not be impressive for a DOHC, but I think it's about right since it's a 3.5L SOHC. There's no doubt Honda has the ability to add more, but I would imagine marketing would not be crazy about their entry luxury model having more power their flagship.

Still, I'd be quite content with 286 HP in that car. I doubt most people will ever notice a 17 HP difference (compared to Lexus 3.5L, for example), especially in completely different cars where power goes through completely different transmissions. The deciding factor will not be 17 HP.

The TL is a good value, but I cross shopped it once already and bought something else. Its a great value, looks OK, a Honda and I wantto like it but I just don't. Its FWD, torque steer and just isn't any fun to drive. This doesn't change that.

Now, the Lexus IS350 has me drooling. Put a 6mt in there, and I might not be able to resist it.

I think Acura has some pretty cool stuff to offer right now, but might still be working out some kinks in the product line and offerings. In a year or two, I'm sure they'll have it all figured out.

Anybody drive the RDX yet? I did last night. WOW! That's the engine that needs to be in the new TSX when it's redesigned. Or even the TL would be sick with it.

Back