Acura NSX Vs. BMW e46 M3

A friend of mine wants to buy an auto NSX. Should I shoot him? :rolleyes:

For his prospective use of the car, and his preference in the City (San Francisco), it will suit his needs.

Thats funny

I have both. 01 E46 M3 and a 98 NSX. Both are nice cars but different. Looking at getting out of the M3 but planning on keeping the NSX. When stock, straight line they were equal. NSX had better road feel although both track equally well. The M3 is ALOT more forgiving than the NSX which is why I think that you can drive them equally well. I would guess that a talented driver would get more from an NSX than an M3. Kinda like a driver with skills can do better with a 911 than an M3 (Friend of mine who is an instructor in PCA and BMW, has 993 and E46 M3, faster laps with the 993).

Cost of ownership is essentially the same except that oil change in BMW cost more assuming that you are going to stick with the 10w60 oil. Parts cost about the same.

You should be able to find a 97-01 NSX within your price range and E46 M3 for around 25-30K so the M3 is cheaper. I would suggest that you find an earlier NSX with a Comptech SC and spend a little on the suspension, coilovers and sway bars, and then it will definiely be faster and handle better than the M3.

If I had to pick between a stock 97-01 NSX vs stock E46 M3, NSX. (My NSX is far from stock)

+1 I found a 92 CTSC w great mods all around. To the price note of 25k.....I couldnt see myself spending 10-12k for the SC.....So my only choice was to get one that already had (low boost CTSC)........

Anyone who buys an automatic nsx should be shot! ok that maybe xtreme but who buys an auto nsx? Sorry if I offended anyone but perhaps someone can tell me WHY the want an auto nsx??????:confused:

rk

That's a bit harsh isn't it? Didn't the tought of having an auto NSX ever come into mind when you are crawling in rush hour traffic on 880? I know I wish I have an automatic everytime I am crawling in rush hour traffic.

I know there are some handicap NSX owners. I hope you don't think they should be shot (for buying an auto NSX).:rolleyes:

just want u guys know that my comforty is probably different than others.
for me, its suspension is kinda stiff to drive every day. it's a stock 97 suspension.

compare with a toyota camry, honda prelude,(my first 2 cars) i feel those 2 are more comfortable than nsx. LOL.

i dont care about nsx's small trunk and its small interior.

the only thing i hate in nsx is just its cup holder. i dont think i can use them to hold any cup.

Are you having buyer's remorse? If the NSX has the same suspension as the Camry/Prelude and the trunk space to match, then it wouldn't be a true sports car. Correct me if I'm wrong, but sports car = stiff suspension.

Last edited:
Had an E46 M3cic but got real bored of SMG after only six months. However, it was highly reliable and very mod friendly. Just didn't feel connected to the "ultimate driving machine", and the exclusivity of ownership was loss due to every teenage boy getting one for his 16th Bday.

Glad to hear that the M3 is reliable. Will likely be in the market for either M3 (04 +) or 996 (02+) later this year.

Will use it as a DD and the cost of maintenance will certain be a major factor. I was a bit worry after reading issues with the main bearing, subframe and SMG on the M3. The RMS on the 996 is also scary.....

A friend of mine wants to buy an auto NSX. Should I shoot him? :rolleyes:

For his prospective use of the car, and his preference in the City (San Francisco), it will suit his needs.

This was strictly a joking statement so relax....:wink:

I just don't get anyone who buys SMG, Auto or that F1 tranny stuff - IMO the only way to enjoy a sports car is to get a manual...my 2 cents

Save the auto for the daily driver or 4-door sedans.

btw, I drive all my manual cars to SF all the time so if you know how to drive stick it's fine. SF difficulty is finding a parking spot and not getting hit and driving an auto or manual NSX won't help you there.

rk

I like the M3.
I love the NSX. :wink:
It is a Zen expression.
There is much in my answer.

All questions are self-questions.
All searchings are self-searchings.
All answers are self-answers.
Drive them both. You'll know for yourself.
:cool:

Okay, I am looking for a sports car right now.
Requirements:
1) Somewhat comfortable, mainly a weekend car.
2) Must have good handling, I will be auto-xing every now and then in it.
3) May take it to the track once or twice a year.
4) Car will be kept in as close to stock form so long as I can resist :rolleyes:
5) Okay maintenance requirements (~2.5-4k/year)

I thought I was set on getting an e46 M3....until I began looking at NSXs (mainly for fun, never thought I could afford one). Well, apparently I can afford one now (30-40k price range). I really like the way the car looks, except for the tail lights (any mods out there for this?).

I guess what I want to know is:
1) How is the car performance wise in straight line and in handling.
2) How does the NSX perform on the track/autox vs other sports cars?
3) Are the NSX's maintenance costs are lower than an M3's? (What is the snap ring range?)
4) How reliable is the NSX over 75-80k miles? 100k miles?
5) Where would I take the car to perform a PPI? Would a normal acura dealership technician be familiar with it or would I have to take it to some specialty shop?
6) Are there any issues with the car being so low? (rock chips, pot holes, etc)

(Ive autox'ed an e46 m3 so I know how it feels. Unfortunately, no one I know has an NSX so I can't answer some of these questions)

Sorry for so many questions, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Hey I've had both and I can answer some of your questions from experience.

1. Stock to if you get an NA2 they are almost dead equal. The M3 has more power and tq but is also four hundred pounds heavier.

2. Both are a blast on the track and while the M3 has slightly better feel it just doesn't move like the mid engine NSX on the track. Weight also has somewhat to do with that. Here's a great vid of a M3 and NSX on a track ( no it's not BM vid )

http://racedv.com/u/1615/145/

3. Don't know on this one as both of mine were new but Japanese cars tend to hold up better than Germans cars as less electronics and the NSX any year has less electronics than an E46 M3.

4. Sorry no help there

5.From what I've read on this website a qualified Acura dealer can do this.

6.Eh you get this stuff with any car

One of the bigger differences I noticed is that the M3 is happiest when driven hard whereas the NSX can be driven hard or easy and still happy. Oh yeah the NSX is much better on gas:biggrin:

I own both, the M3 is my daily driver. Here my thoughts on the 2 cars

M3:
1) the stock shifter is crap, kinda sloppy and vague. I replaced my mine with a Rogue SSK. Its more precise like the NSX only with more effort.

2) Performance wise, it has more mid range torque that makes it fun to drive.

3) in terms of maintenance costs, get a CPO, any problems the dealer and fix it. A good dealer tends to be more generous in addressing any issues you may have.

4) The suspension is very very stiff, I have the optional 19" wheels and its very tough on the back. 18" wheels soften the ride a bit. I have on 18s on AS tires for the winter. You can only get summer tires for the 19s.

NSX

1) I dont drive it as often, but I always love the way it feels and handles. It seems more refined than a M3.

2)Clutch and shift action is smoother and more precise.

3) maintenance has been low, only oil changes and master cyclinder replaced.

If you already have a daily driver , then you have to get a NSX :biggrin:

WingZ, that's a nice video. What are the infos on the nsx? Yours?

No sorry no idea on the NSX. That vid is from a track I want to drive called Calabogie.

I also have both a stock '02 M3 6 sp and a '91 NSX with I/H/E, short gears, suspension, etc.

The M3 is a great "if I could only have one vehicle to do everything" car. The engine is very nice and as said has more midrange torque making it easier to break the tires loose. Not so with the NSX. I am more passionate about the NSX though. The NSX with Bilsteins and springs actually rides better than a stock M3. NSX gets about 20-22 mpg, the M3 gets about 17-19 mpg. M3=better autocross, NSX=better track car.

One issue for me for the NSX as a daily driver is the amount of frontal overhang. There are many driveways that I can't go up or down.

Any NSX is great. Get the auto for left foot breaking. :biggrin:

I really like my BMW. Never driven an M3 but it's probably a great car.

The roads here are so bad that I can't drive iether one so I'm reduced to looking to them parked. They look great.

Greetings

My preference is the M-Roadster -- Z3 variant. They can be tricky to drive since the chassis was originally designed for a 4 banger. The car is light and the rear end lighter. They cost a fortune to keep running after the original paid maintenance runs out. The fun factor is high, but different from an NSX. It all depends upon what you are looking for in your toy.

Cheers,
Martin

Hi Bros,

Check out:
NSX-R 3.2 vs E46 M3 CSL

Driven by F1 Spyker test driver at Sepang Circuit, Malaysia..
:biggrin:

Your post here is quite timely as I'm currently working on two deals.

One for a 92 nsx, and one for an 05 m3.

I'm coming from previous s2000's as my sole daily driver so I'm looking forward to less "buzzin hornets" in my daily commute and a move away from a "kids" car. Yes, in my area more and more young'ins (fast and furious) crowd are buying them.

I was originally including a Lotus Elise into that fray but without creature comforts, I'm sticking with the NSX. (plus I'm brand loyal to honda)

I'm recently married, but my wife has her own car and is supportive of my dream NSX. So I always have her car to fall back on.

I've always dreamt of owning an NSX and now I think one is within my radar. Albeit, its not the ultimate one I'd like, but its thee one to begin the mods.

Why an NSX ?
My No. 1 reason, its rarity ! Its an exclusive club to own one. BMW's are a dime a dozen. Sure the NSX is less practical but Oooh so lovely. To me, the perfect blend of styling, elegance with power not found in any other car IMHO ? But, the M3 is no slouch either with 330hp, smg option for the wife, back seats, and more luggage space. But, does it excite me ? No. If I get it, the NSX will always be in the back of my mind.

As my only car, its more than sufficient for my needs.

My winter plans:
store the NSX and buy a winter beater for about $1,500.

In the end, its obviously your choice and I've just given you mine. If you go to any of the M3 forums, they'll tell you m3 is the best.

Over the past 3 weeks, I've received such backlash from friends, family members for pursuing a vehicle from 1992. What the hell ? A 16 year old car ? I'd take the bimmer, is all what I've heard. But listening to my gutt feeling, that old 16 year is what will make me sleep better at night and I know if I don't take this last stab at an NSX it will never happen for me.:smile:

The Nsx pulls 1 car long after 115mph on a GT mustang and the same against the M3 E46 don't ask how I know:biggrin:

Over the past 3 weeks, I've received such backlash from friends, family members for pursuing a vehicle from 1992. What the hell ? A 16 year old car ? I'd take the bimmer, is all what I've heard. But listening to my gutt feeling, that old 16 year is what will make me sleep better at night and I know if I don't take this last stab at an NSX it will never happen for me.:smile:

I would expect most if not all of the people making such comments have no idea what an NSX is, let alone have ever driven one.

Buy one and the only regret you will have is not doing it sooner.

I am active in the BMW community. I used to be on the board of the Wisconsin Chapter of the BMW CCA. I currently have two BMWs.

I have yet to meet a person that has owned an E46 M3 and an NSX that prefers the M3. I have met several that prefer the NSX, as I do.

I would expect most if not all of the people making such comments have no idea what an NSX is, let alone have ever driven one.

Buy one and the only regret you will have is not doing it sooner.

I am active in the BMW community. I used to be on the board of the Wisconsin Chapter of the BMW CCA. I currently have two BMWs.

I have yet to meet a person that has owned an E46 M3 and an NSX that prefers the M3. I have met several that prefer the NSX, as I do.

Yep this was my experience as well owning both. My buddies pretty much ignored the M3.

Also whoever wrote that article should be shot for not getting any laptimes for comparison.

Sidebar. it is interesting to note that the CSL does post a faster ring time than the NSX-R. I would love to see these two go at it on the track by themselves.

Okay, I am looking for a sports car right now.
Requirements:
1) Somewhat comfortable, mainly a weekend car.
2) Must have good handling, I will be auto-xing every now and then in it.
3) May take it to the track once or twice a year.
4) Car will be kept in as close to stock form so long as I can resist :rolleyes:
5) Okay maintenance requirements (~2.5-4k/year)

I thought I was set on getting an e46 M3....until I began looking at NSXs (mainly for fun, never thought I could afford one). Well, apparently I can afford one now (30-40k price range). I really like the way the car looks, except for the tail lights (any mods out there for this?).

I guess what I want to know is:
1) How is the car performance wise in straight line and in handling.
2) How does the NSX perform on the track/autox vs other sports cars?
3) Are the NSX's maintenance costs are lower than an M3's? (What is the snap ring range?)
4) How reliable is the NSX over 75-80k miles? 100k miles?
5) Where would I take the car to perform a PPI? Would a normal acura dealership technician be familiar with it or would I have to take it to some specialty shop?
6) Are there any issues with the car being so low? (rock chips, pot holes, etc)

(Ive autox'ed an e46 m3 so I know how it feels. Unfortunately, no one I know has an NSX so I can't answer some of these questions)

Sorry for so many questions, but I would greatly appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Weekend Sports Car ?

Not even close. NSX- Any model year provided it's clean and maintained. Don't waste time with other sports cars. I've owned 3 BMWs. Great cars but not as engaging as the F1 inspired NSX. The ultimate F1 inspired weekend road car has got to be the Honda powered Ariel Atom http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/exotic/112_0711_2007_ariel_atom/index.html. Good luck with your decision.

I just sold my '02 M3. If I had to bet which car would have cost me more in maintenance over the next few years, a 65k mile M3 or a 120k mile SC'ed NSX I would bet on the NSX without any hesitation.

I had the same dilemma. Having four kids, I kept thinking I would get more use out of the M3, but my mind would always wander back to an ad I once saw for a Porsche Boxster. The ad showed a Boxster, top down, traveling along a beautiful winding road. The copy read "The more kids you have, the more practical it becomes". I have adopted this philosophy and decided on the NSX. I have not found "Mine" yet, but I know it is out there. Good luck with your decision.

Back