Actively looking for an NSX, sold my M3 - any others like me?

teflon said:
WingZ,

Would you elaborate a bit on how you compared the handling of your NSX to your M3?

Greg A

General street driving and I've been attempting to get to the track to confirm this. It's possilbly the tires which give off all sorts of screeching sounds in situations that the NSX just turns w/o drama. Of course the M3 weighs quite a bit more than the NSX ( I believe 3-400lbs more ) so maybe that's also what I'm feeling. I also have "loop" that I alway's take my cars through to compare their handling. The M3 alway's has more body movement than the NSX and needs a moment to collect itself between turns. The NSX chassis seems to alway's say "come on". Of course the M3 does hold four people
:biggrin:

teflon said:
WingZ,

Thank you for the explanation. Which tires do you have on your M3?

Greg A

Car has the stock Michelin Pilots with about 2800 miles on them.

NSXRIZ said:
Hey guys, I have been LIVING (and loving) the NSXPRIME forums for the past two weeks - I was just curious, are there any others out there who either currently own an (E46) M3 and an NSX or sold their M3 - any thing they miss, or conversely anything that makes them love their NSX more? Just curious as to your thoughts. I'm just looking for the right one and I'll be ready to jump in, I can't wait. I picked up an '04 S2K as a daily driver so my future X baby will always be immaculate :biggrin:
Thanks for all the info on the boards, and look forward to being an active owner/participant soon!

i have both nsx and m3.

went from '01 s2k to '03 nsx + '04 m3 and will in a few months add new '06 z06.

my thoughts:

- '01 s2k. i miss it on those sunny days when i just want to mosey around the winding back roads and get a good tan.

- '03 nsx. timeless design...exotic (will get double and some triple takes)...sexy (chics dig it)...faster than most ppl think, surprises them...rare exotic that can be driven daily (i don't) without killing your annual maintenance budget...handles like a go-kart with coilovers and adjustable sway bars. i love mine dearly, and it puts a unique smile on me every time i take it out or on the track. ran personal best at 12.9 and 114mph in the 1/4mile with just taitec exhaust.

- '04 m3 smg. if i had only 1 car, this is it...great daily driver winter beater (have snow tires, we'll travel) all around car (4 seats and bigass trunk)...classy & somewhat sexy (chics can't tell difference vs. regular 3 sometimes)...gets double takes now that i've done some mild mods...bullet proof reliability...costs as little as nsx if not less than nsx to maintain. (free maitenance during warranty, something honda/acura needs to learn)

- '06 z06. this will replace the '03 nsx on a phase in phase out approach. for as much as i love my nsx, there's something missing...raw power. hate to say it but that's a fact. overall the nsx is an excellent package from design to build quality and sets the benchmark. problem is the benchmark was a long time ago. nowadays others are leading the pack in this class. the z06 represents one of the best if not the best bang/$ in today's world and couple years ahead even. it's one of those few cars that can turn the exotic/supercar territory upside down and forces makers to think about the bang/$ criteria people look at nowadays. i'm also considering 2 other possibilities instead of the z06 for specific and personal reasons, a mint '04 f360 challenge stradale or a mint '01 f550 maranello 6spd (last year that specific model was made).

here's a thread with some stuff on both cars...

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57507

Ok here goes............(I'LL LIMIT THIS TO THE PAST 4 YRS)

91 NSX > 03 IS300 > 01 M3 > 02 SLK32 > 02 M3 > 04 S4 > 00 S2000 S/C > 95 NSX > 03.5 M3 > 03 VIPER SRT-10 > 02 NSX

needless to say the score is
M3 - 3
NSX - 3
the uniqueness of the X keeps me coming back, nothing else like it.

nsxmofo said:
'04 m3 smg. bullet proof reliability

Not agreeing with that statement. My regular 3series was a POS after 2 years. My take - keep BMW's during warranty period only. Had it 5 and spent around 2k in repairs, with none being abuse related. Bought it new, pampered it and loved the car, but I can do without high maintenance costs. Replaced with an IS300 SportCross and have never looked back. Looking forward to 10+ years of easy on the wallet ownership.

Excellent info guys! That is one TIGHT M3 - props to a very impressive garage! Still looking for my NSX - but I feel better about my decision to purchase one everyday. Again, great info, thanks...

NSXRIZ said:
Excellent info guys! That is one TIGHT M3 - props to a very impressive garage! Still looking for my NSX - but I feel better about my decision to purchase one everyday. Again, great info, thanks...

thanks. enjoy these pics...maybe you'll be taking pics of your same matching "little bro and big bro" soon :biggrin:

dsc052837av.jpg

dsc052867xt.jpg

dsc052933mj.jpg

dsc053004qr.jpg

NSXRIZ said:
WOWOWOWOWOW - THANK YOU!! Don't worry - I'm going to be posting the same type of pictures as soon as I can!

if you're looking for mod parts or even thinking about it already (like most of us do before we get cars), here are some files for your enjoyment.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2123923259&idx=19
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2123923259&idx=20
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2123923259&idx=21
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2123923259&idx=22

exhausts comparo...m3 active autowerks (sold) vs. nsx taitec lightweight gt

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2134378942

m3 gruppem titanium

http://www.imagestation.com/album/index.html?id=2121120858

THonda said:
Riz Let mE HelP you! :D :D :D

2.JPG

7.JPG

13.JPG

here the combo i had w/ my first nsx...memories....ahhh

nsxmiatop.jpg

Roger, I'll be back soon I promise!!! You know what they say, third time is the charm :D

What color this time, first red, then silver, now .......Maybe that beautiful YELLOW!!!! Come on back!!! :wink:

This is why Mr. THonda is my hero!! hahaha When I grow up I want to be just like him! As I've been running through the forums, I've been surprised by how many people own both S2K's or NSX's (or have owned one at one time or another.) S2K is a blast to drive in its own way, I did my first long drive (140 miles) yesterday top down and was loving it! I miss my M3 sometimes, but man... I got NSX on the brain, can't stop thinking about getting one - unfortunately haven't driven one yet, I'm going to post in the regional forum to see if someone can take me out for a spin.

I'm too lazy to scroll up and find the person saying the M3 has bulletproof reliability... Are you paid by BMW to type this? I will never ever buy another BMW- Only lease within Factory warranty, not to get confused with extended warranty.

BMW has one of the best looking cars in their lineup IMO, but mechanically they are no way near reliable as the Japan giant Toyota, Nissan and Honda.

THonda said:
NSXMOFO - Nice M3! :D Can't go w/ Teins! You know GC is the only way to go! Couldn't agree more on your choice of Exhaust thou -

ahhhhh but i love the teins for great street performance. may not be the best setup for track since it's twin tube, not monotube, but then again it's tein's first entry to the m3 market. also went with it because it's one of very few sets that come with upper pillow mounts (fronts are camber/caster adjustable). the other sets - you have to buy upper mounts separately.

good 1 finger pic. damn thing only weighs 12lbs vs. 56lbs of stock m3 exhaust. gotta love pure titanium and the blue torched tips are to die for :biggrin:

here are the teins on the m3 after i did the install.

dsc056000kt.jpg

dsc056075uq.jpg

dsc056121oo.jpg

dsc056095ri.jpg

Vizal said:
I'm too lazy to scroll up and find the person saying the M3 has bulletproof reliability... Are you paid by BMW to type this? I will never ever buy another BMW- Only lease within Factory warranty, not to get confused with extended warranty.

BMW has one of the best looking cars in their lineup IMO, but mechanically they are no way near reliable as the Japan giant Toyota, Nissan and Honda.

that was me. yes, honestly i'm saying that based on personal experiences. my '01 330ci and x5 3.0i had nothing, nada, zilt, zero things wrong. my confidence has not been shaken. albeit i leased both cars for 3yrs and if at 3yrs point that was the indication, i am certain it would continue. thus far after 1 yr (next month) with the m3 (also leased for 3yrs)...same thing - nothing at all. not even a noise. several of my friends have e36 m3 and some with '01 m3s and all have excellent records of reliability.

if you'll notice, bmw (as well as porsche) is now on the top 10 of jdpowers quality survey whereas mb has completely dropped towards bottom.

an '02 or '03 mint 911 gt2 is also on the list of my choices as well, to replace the nsx.

Back