Actively looking for an NSX, sold my M3 - any others like me?

Hey guys, I have been LIVING (and loving) the NSXPRIME forums for the past two weeks - I was just curious, are there any others out there who either currently own an (E46) M3 and an NSX or sold their M3 - any thing they miss, or conversely anything that makes them love their NSX more? Just curious as to your thoughts. I'm just looking for the right one and I'll be ready to jump in, I can't wait. I picked up an '04 S2K as a daily driver so my future X baby will always be immaculate :biggrin:
Thanks for all the info on the boards, and look forward to being an active owner/participant soon!

Ive had M3's... both E36 and E46 and have never looked back.

Shew! That's nice to know! I have been love with this car for 15 years - and I'm so happy I've decided to get one - my friends think I'm crazy for wanting one, but I know they just don't GET IT. I can't wait to be a lucky owner like all you guys!

S2k to an E46 M3, sold M3 for a SUV and another S2k, sold the S2k for an E46 M3 vert (but wanted a NSX), SUV is now paid for and looked at a new NSX yesterday.....cannot get it out of my head.

from M3 to NSX here...no doubt..NSX beats the satisfaction of a M3 everytime I take it for a drive. Don't get me wrong, M3 is a nice car to own.........

for about 1 month and it gets boring after seeing one every corner of the street.

Enjoy!

From E46 M3 -> NSX -> S2K -> E46 M3

Both are great cars, only thing i miss about the nsx is the exotic factor aka "pimp" factor. The m3 seats more, easier to drive, factory GPS, and SMG hard not to love. Again both great cars that I loved, the only solution is to own both, but if i had to chose ONLY one car for everyday NorthEast Region, it would have to be the M3.

"No way. NSX is over-priced and you could have an E-46 and a Z06 and lunch money left over. I read this on the Nissan board."

With all due respect, I think that you're missing the essence of what's going on here. I purchased a new 2005 NSX (having owned a '91 previously) after considering other cars (Ford GT, Ferrari) based on a lot of different reasons. Although they're fine cars and have considerable appeal for many owners, I have no interest whatsoever in an E-46 or Z06, regardless of the price. Certain cars you own (e.g., your take-it-anywhere utilitarian ride), certain cars own you (those high-maintenance, fussy but oh-so-exotic Italian cars), but it's a rare car that IS you. For NSX owners -- most of them, at least -- the NSX **IS** the owner.

Another way of saying this: In my office, one of my coworkers just bought an Aston Martin DB9. For what he paid, he could have purchased an NSX plus an E-46 with money left over. The DB9's acceleration is about the same as the NSX, but that's not the issue. It's simply that the DB9 appealed to him in a fundamental, emotional way that any other car didn't. It's not an issue of comparing cost, acceleration, skidpad results, slalom results, exclusivity, etc. It's simply that the total package connects with him in a very fundamental way.

For most NSX owners, no other car connects with them in the way that the NSX does. That's the point.

Well said!

PLZ said:
With all due respect, I think that you're missing the essence of what's going on here.
I completely agree with what you wrote, but being new to the site, you might not be aware that Tony Montoya’s comment was facetious in nature (poking fun at this ;)).

Welcome to the site!

I can think of one thing you'll miss.

Understeer

(by the way, the C55 will be gone next week it's being replaced with an '06 Jetta TDI)

Original owner 92 Red modded to point of no return and an essentially stock 91 Blk with mild mods (I/H/E/chip/wheels) and two E46 M3s (kids') at the same time. Close your eyes as a passenger and the E46 M3 will feel faster, more solid, and brake harder. As the driver, I like the quicker steering, especially off center, of the M3. Open your eyes though and the NSX experience takes over. Cockpit feel and view, feel of the road through the steering wheel and seat of your pants. Get out of the car and its all NSX. Still get chills looking at the NSX after 13 years.... Having given my opinion, I still can't get either of kids to let go of their M3s for an NSX...

As a new owner of a used '02 M3 (owned 2 weeks, of which 7 days in the shop so far), and a used '00 NSX (owned 6 months, 1 day in shop, routine maintenance)

ummm... I probably could end the post right now with that statement, but...

I think each car has its own strengths and weaknesses...
I agree with much of what was said above, especially PLZ and lowellhigh
here is my opinion of each car's pro's and con's:

NSX
Pros:
-feels faster, handles better, puts a smile on my face everytime I take turns
-gets looks from everyone
-great feel for the road
-I prefer the NSX shifter to the BMW shifter - feels like shorter shifts
-amazing reliability
-great residual value
Cons:
-2 seater
-I worry about the car more when parking, driving in traffic
-radio could be better - i.e. would be nice if it incorporated new technology like CD-player :)
M3:
Pros:
-good car, handles turns well, just not quite as well as NSX, puts a smile on my face when I accelerate
-interior, leather, options are superior to NSX - has great "civilized" comforts with lots of cool gadgets and features
-sunroof is better than NSX Targa top
-gets looks from BMW owners
-I think it is one of the best 4 seater sports cars you could buy
Cons:
I think my shop statement above sums up reliability
also, i think acura service is much better than BMW service... less "holier than thou" attitude

I think the best way to sum up my feelings is that I enjoy driving the NSX more on an empty country road and I enjoy driving the BMW more in traffic.

Good luck with your purchase!

Excellent Point Made!

BMW SERVICE IS JUST LAME!!!!!! it was one of the reasons i sold my first M3. In Acura when you get service done w/ a nsx they treat you like a king :)

Skinnydoc, sorry to hear about your problems with the M3. I agree with you completely except I never required service on my NSX. Yeah, I got both as well.

Tim

THonda said:
From E46 M3 -> NSX -> S2K -> E46 M3

Both are great cars, only thing i miss about the nsx is the exotic factor aka "pimp" factor. The m3 seats more, easier to drive, factory GPS, and SMG hard not to love. Again both great cars that I loved, the only solution is to own both, but if i had to chose ONLY one car for everyday NorthEast Region, it would have to be the M3.

Yeah, but you did an awesome job installing GPS that looked factory, if it was a year round daily driver, I might agree with you, but given the choice of a day like today (or yesterday, or the day before) I dare you to tell me that you didn't wish you were still in the NSX!!! We miss you, come on back!!!! :eek:

I own both and have to say their's really no comparing the two. The NSX handles sooooo much better than the M3 which to me has alot of body roll. M3 definitely feels more powerful. Seat of the pants says it would be a drivers race between the two. Ride is equal as both have a sporty ,but not punishing ride. So far I've had to take my NSX in to get a leaky roof fixed. The service at that dealer Acura of Troy sucks! I expect my NSX to be trouble free for years ,but the M3 kinda makes me go pale when I think of it's possible problems after hearing from other prime members about their problems ( fingers crossed that they got everything right on the 05's ).

Thanks for all the insight guys - small world, I actually know mr.thonda and saw pics of his navigation install - its a thing of beauty. I figured the same thing - straightline I imagine it would be a drivers race. I'm really interested in learning alot about the handling comparisons over time from NSX owners - but I can honestly relate to the thoughts and feelings of these posts - it just reaffirms my decision to get into an NSX! :smile:

jorligan said:
Skinnydoc, sorry to hear about your problems with the M3. I agree with you completely except I never required service on my NSX. Yeah, I got both as well.

Tim

Thanks jorligan,

I think you warned me as well - I'm really not concerned as a rental car is covered for me and I had these expectations going in when getting the car - it is still a beautiful car and is fun to drive :)

Back