Accidentally got a Water/meth failsafe what now

I ordered a nozzle kit from a company and they sent me the water/meth aem failsafe system. I mentioned it, and they said since it took a few weeks to even ship it out, our lost is your gain. So I'm still down a nozzle which I reordered from another company, but now I have this failsafe. For those that have seen my older posts, my goal was to reach 400whp on a 3.0 with a whipple. I am currently running the high boost pulley, just finished installing my ID1000s and my AEM EMS. I do have the aem water/meth kit, but now I have this in addition, I'm debating about setting up 2 maps. I originally got the water/meth kit for cooling (water) only as it had less risks and kept the IATs under control. Now, I'm debating about having a second map, one with some more aggressive timing adjustments to account for a 50/50 mixture. Does the failsafe system give that much more peace of mind? I have gone way overboard on monitoring. I monitor everything you could possibly think of, dual wide bands, dual EGTs, and everything in between.

I do not really have a heavy foot, and there is no track here in Hawaii. So long extended pulls are pretty much non existent. What is the best way to use this system to my advantage? And what wire on the AEM EMS harness do I tap into, for it to swap two different maps? I'm open to any advice for or against. I understand this is not a direct injection system, but I felt as if the EGTs would monitor the piston temps as the timing was altered.

I don't think AEM has double map switching, but I'm sure you could easily pull a lot of timing easily with a simple switch input, or use the nitrous maps to do the trick.

what pin/wire is used normally on the nsx AEM EMS to trigger a Nitrous Map?

You need to wire the fail safe to the ECU as a signal input to the ECU. The fail safe has a 0-5v output to tell the ECU how much meth is being sprayed. Use this sensor data to control an ignition trim. If the ECU can see the actual amount of coolant being sprayed you do not need a separate map for meth. The ingnition trim will add timing based on the amount sprayed. If your spray runs out or fails the fail safe will not tell the ECU to add timing and you will be running the non-meth map. If a nozzle is partially clogged then only part of the timing will be added via the ignition trim.

Dave

Last edited:
that actually made a lot of sense. Thanks DDozier, so I guess I just try to find an open signal on my EMS? are there pins dedicated to new input signals? or do I try to track something that the EMS can read but doesnt come stock with the NSX and tap into that pin?

that actually made a lot of sense. Thanks DDozier, so I guess I just try to find an open signal on my EMS? are there pins dedicated to new input signals? or do I try to track something that the EMS can read but doesnt come stock with the NSX and tap into that pin?

You should have at least one input left, you will have to define the sensor and map it to a table along with the other sensor you want to use as a refference. This is way too complicated to walk you through on a forum, you will need to find a local AEM tuner to work with you on setting up the table and the sensor. Wiring the sensor to the input should be easy and the failsafe has directions on what wires to connect to the ECU, I think it was brown or orange but I do not remember been to long since I set one up this way.

One other thing, you will only want to modify the timing if you are running Meth or Meth mix, if you are running just water to cool then let the IAT adjust timing, that table is built and ready to use in the AEM. You can only increase timing if you have an octane aditive like Meth in your mix, without it you will knock. If you are looking for a safety margin with your meth/water, then tune the car to a safe performance level without the meth kit active then turn it on and leave the tune alone, with a 50/50 mix you will pick up a few HP but the margin of safety will increase as the octane in the fuel is increased by the meth. To go for MAX HP you will have to adjust timing and fuel when the Meth is being sprayed.

Dave

. If you are looking for a safety margin with your meth/water, then tune the car to a safe performance level without the meth kit active then turn it on and leave the tune alone, with a 50/50 mix you will pick up a few HP but the margin of safety will increase as the octane in the fuel is increased by the meth.
Dave

Dave,
thanks for this info. Learn something new. I already have intercooled 2.3L whipple 425hp to wheels. I like the fact add meth/water kit without retuning.

Any recommendation on simple meth/water kit. I am running aem ems 1 (original).

Danny

Last edited:
Back