AASCC project existed even before NSX receives facelift!

Oh snap your right! Similarites are undeniable:eek: Now the question remains why Honda sent a 6 year old concept to the autoshow and wasted money on something they probably weren't going to do from the start:confused:

This is really starting to look more and more assinine on their part. Apparently the ASC really was just something they put out there just to have something out there. They must really feel like their under pressure to do something like this.

They must really feel like their under pressure to do something like this.

I posted- "ASSC dropped by Acura" on a few car chat sites....to stir up some reaction.... and the threads don't even get read or opened, let-alone replyed to.

NSX Acura has fallen so far off most peoples radar... that the car-world is just starting to ignore Acura all together :frown:

Now I admit that a lot of people on the web are kids... but in the 1990's every teen wanted to check out Acura. Now? I don't think teens even know who Acura is? Teens become car buyers in the future. Acura is missing out on the next wave of car buyers by dropping RSX and NSX and nothing fun to replace them.

Now I admit that a lot of people on the web are kids... but in the 1990's every teen wanted to check out Acura. Now? I don't think teens even know who Acura is? Teens become car buyers in the future. Acura is missing out on the next wave of car buyers by dropping RSX and NSX and nothing fun to replace them.

Agreed. Most young people I know dig Lexus (and dont know it's Toyota/Japanese). Most of them do not know or, care about Acura.

Agreed. Most young people I know dig Lexus (and dont know it's Toyota/Japanese). Most of them do not know or, care about Acura.

That's one of the reasons Toyota launched Scion in the U.S.
1. Get younger buyers into Scion
2. Move them up to Toyota
3. Retire them w/ Lexus

It's no wonder that the discussion is now no longer "IF" Toyota will overtake GM as the largest automaker in the world, but "WHEN".

Acura is missing out on the next wave of car buyers by dropping RSX and NSX and nothing fun to replace them.

It's probably intentional that Acura isn't planning on offering something fun for kids (like the Integra or RSX) because they want those buyers back in the Honda dealerships (Civic Si, CTR).

Lexus doesn't have a "kid" car in the lineup and Acura wants to move upstream like Lexus. Remember in the 90's when people complained that Acura cars (except for the NSX) were too much like Honda and that Acura should do what Toyota did w/ Lexus? Well, now the proof is in the pudding and the Lexus business model works - Honda is now trying to catch up.

As for the NSX...who knows? :confused:

Lexus doesn't have a "kid" car in the lineup and Acura wants to move upstream like Lexus. Remember in the 90's when people complained that Acura cars (except for the NSX) were too much like Honda and that Acura should do what Toyota did w/ Lexus? Well, now the proof is in the pudding and the Lexus business model works - Honda is now trying to catch up.

As for the NSX...who knows? :confused:

I think the Lexus IS is the kid car, although it is expensive. The IS250 at least can be had with a 6-Speed manual and for around low $30K. The IS350 while offers no manual, has the straight line speed and power many of these kids want and like today.

Would you guys not agree most acuras are bargains in comparsion to their competition? The TSX at 25K, the TL at 32K, the RL at 50K, these cars give you a whole lot more than the competition in terms of standard features if not performance. Maybe the ASCC will have incredible performance and a price tag a lot lower than we all are led to believe.

That's the problem with Honda- it seems years back they were innovators: first Asian luxury nameplate in U.S., VTEC, Formula 1 dominance. Then others eclipsed them: V8 engines with same mileage return as Honda's sixes, Miata debuts '89 and S2000 follows over 10 years later, no SUV of their own (had to rebadge Isuzu's). They either sit on their hands and watch the competition stomp them silly, or they react much too late, and oftentimes with nowhere near the firepower that they should. It's no coincidence that their philosophy has gone awry after the death of their founder.

Originally Posted by TURBO2GO
Would you guys not agree most acuras are bargains in comparsion to their competition? The TSX at 25K, the TL at 32K, the RL at 50K, these cars give you a whole lot more than the competition in terms of standard features if not performance.

Yes most Acuras are bargains, but for the true die-hard enthusiasts looking for a genuine sports/sporty car experience, having the driving wheels in the rear axle makes all the difference, above all else. I know I wouldn't mind shilling out a couple of more k's just so I can own a car that'll let me power slide out of corners instead of plowing into and out of it. I find it shameful that a company like Honda, with so much technological and engineering advancements gained through F1 and other top-level racing endeavors, only produced 3 RWD cars in its entire existence, 2 of them in the history books no longer in production cycle.

Honda knew so much (much more than Toyota), yet did very little. I wished Soichiro stayed on this Earth a few more years, because his "kids" (the CEO's of past years he raised in the 50's/60's to become the leaders of today) aren't living up to his visions of the co.'s future. The "Honda Dream" died a miserable death since he passed on.

somebody posted here, i dont remember where, that ASCC looks like 90s concept, i must admit this guy was absolutely right, it is 90s concept and its ugly. glad it will never see the sunshine again

That's the problem with Honda- it seems years back they were innovators: first Asian luxury nameplate in U.S., VTEC, Formula 1 dominance. Then others eclipsed them: V8 engines with same mileage return as Honda's sixes, Miata debuts '89 and S2000 follows over 10 years later, no SUV of their own (had to rebadge Isuzu's). They either sit on their hands and watch the competition stomp them silly, or they react much too late, and oftentimes with nowhere near the firepower that they should. It's no coincidence that their philosophy has gone awry after the death of their founder.

Very well put. Honda has had blinders on since Soichiro's death just sitting idly by while others tried and succeeded with new formulas. How Honda couldn't develop a V8 or a truck until recently boggles the mind. :confused: ...while the truck has been a staple for nealry 30 years in every sense for Toyota. Seemingly very little R & D going on over there.

I will give them credit for the S2000 but that's about it in the last 13 years--still, they weren't a dollar short but they certainly were a day late :mad:

So many lost opportunities for Honda. :frown: Failure to update and properly market the NSX, failure to update the S2000, failure to replace the NSX, failure to develop the S2000 engine into a V8, failure to create a truck, etc.

Even if Honda followed closely behind but no...they follow waaaay behind. :rolleyes:

Not to mention the mess the Acura badge has become. Honda never took the steps it needed to make Acura what Lexus has become. They've talked about it but never actually did it. The NSX gave the Acura brand legitimacy and they just squandered it away. It's like they never even attempted a marketing program like Lexus did.

IMO it's never too late to start a campaign to get your brand some luxury cred but you've got to do it, not talk about it or wish for it.

HONDA is Japan's TUCKER. Difference is that "they" allowed Mr. Honda to develop his company up until his death in 1991. In 1987, ACURA was the number one luxury car. Acura launched for 1986 without a logo and the "calipers" (read compass) didn't appear until the NSX launched as a 1991 model. Think about it...The NSX was designed to show that Honda COULD compete with the best the established premium car companies could produce, and it stopped competing. Since then, Honda can't win races without the help of the top driver/rider. Honda refuses to compete option for option-cylinder for cylinder in every car model line. Honda, the world's largest engine maker, refuses to produce a V-8 engine to compete against GM. GM, the world's largest automaker, gets a supply of engines and soon transmissions from Honda, while ACURA gets on-Star for when it breaks down (sic). Do you think that there may be a non-competition clause in some agreement between the two companies? Honda is now partners with GE, is General Foods next?

The ASC has the EXACT same profile as a last gen Corvette up until the top of the windshield. The ASC was released as Chevy announced the possibility of a limited edition mid-engined $100K Corvette. ACURA seems to be slotted into a role of sub-Cadillac luxury. Today, ACURA is diluted into nothing more than a re-badged HONDA thanks to a model/pricing structure that makes little sense.

Ries Report: Acura (what went wrong?)*
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxQX8pmn8gE

*he seems to mistake ACURA for LEXUS @ 3:47

More V10 design competition pics here...
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=770

Attachments

• transasc1.jpg
    transasc1.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Back