• ***AVOID MARKETPLACE SCAMS!!***

Scammers are using compromised Prime member accounts to pose as a trusted seller in the marketplace. Before you enter into a deal with any seller, follow these tips to keep yourself safe. If you encounter one of these scammers, please report them immediately and we will lock their account.

Caveat Emptor!

a NSX done well: ScienceofSpeed supercharged, Stoptech w/ Factory Wheels

Sometimes, the minimalist approach yields the most impressive results. One such example of this is an NSX we completed recently from Conroe, TX. This 1991 NSX has 78,000 miles - and despite being more than 20 years old - it still feels like a new car. The owner wanted to bring the car up to modern power standards and match the added power with increased stopping power. We chose the ScienceofSpeed Supercharger System as it integrates easily into the engine bay with minimal work and gives a clean "factory like" appearance that matches the car well. In addition, we installed a big bore throttle body to compliment the supercharger and add 9+ "free" horsepower. Lastly, we added a Stoptech brake system on all four corners. The brakes look great aesthetically - the rotors are an impressive 13" cross drilled 2 piece design and the calipers externally look identical front and rear. Stoptech went a step further than other manufactures and created a special caliper for the rear of the NSX to modify the piston diameters compared to the front to match the brake force balance of the factory design.

Driving the car, it's easy to come to a conclusion that if the NSX progression through the years reached this level of performance, it could competitively be sold today against current offerings, if anything based only on performance. The car still has a world-class chassis and other less tangible attributes like the visceral wail during wide open acceleration and superior ergonomics.

Driving this car is a real treat. Tip in on the throttle and you're instantly rewarded with IMMEDIATE acceleration from the supercharger. The supercharger is quiet, really making itself known under wide open acceleration where the lovely NSX "howl" is matched with a shriek from the twin screws compressing air into the engine. It's easy to get lost in the "numbers game" where it seems like unless you bring 500 turbocharged whp to the table - you have nothing to share. Although it's hard to argue with a 150 whp and 80 wheel lb/ft gain - the magic is really that instant burst of acceleration any moment your right foot feels the urge. This configuration on the NSX gives the car that "small block V8" level of acceleration authority. Instant, no delay, and a broad powerband up until redline - it's really what we want from the NSX. If you ever have the chance to drive a ScienceofSpeed Supercharged NSX - do it knowing you'll be instantly hooked.

To match the acceleration, this car also has the moves and the stopping power to match. Turn in is sharp - the lowered suspension and sticky tires are always right there with you. You're never wondering when they'll catch up.

The brakes are absolutely superb. You'll note that this car wears factory 17" wheels from the 2002-05 models. With H&R 15mm front and 25mm rear spacers, we were able to increase the track of the wheels to improve performance and brake clearance and also make these factory wheels properly fit the fender arches without causing any rubbing or interference problems. The braking performance is greatly benefited by the customer's wise choice of selecting Yokohama Tire's Advan Neova in 215/40 and 255/40 sizes. A sticky street tire that with the larger brakes allow easy modulation and instant, sudden deceleration that can match the acceleration from the supercharger. So often, I see customers spend an incredible amount of money on every part of the car except the tires. Yes, it's true - they aren't that sexy to look at - but with the limited miles most of us place on our cars, they are far worth it!

This car leaves us today and I'm honestly sad to see it go. It's being picked up by the transported to bring it home. It may not be the flashiest NSX we've had in our shop, but it's one that has made a large impression on us - because of how well executed it is. A true driver's car. If some day Honda brings us a successor, I hope it will match the elevated balance that this NSX exemplifies.

ScienceofSpeed offers a full service facility dedicated to the NSX. Routine maintenance as well as performance upgrades for the NSX is our specialty and the reason why many customers from around the world ship their NSX to ScienceofSpeed.

David_TX_side_1024.jpg

David_TX_wheel_1024.jpg

David_TX_supercharger_1024.jpg

David_TX_dyno.jpg

Last edited:
Chris,

Do you know if EBC offer pads for the Stoptech?

And yes I agree with you that many NSX owners skip out on higher end tires.

I do not, because we do not offer this brand, however, more than likely they do. It is a very common profile for the ST40 caliper.

Chris, I noticed what seems to be the lack of a Laminova I/C. What was the client's opinion on this? Seems like he/she spent a good chunk of coin but was taking a minimalist approach.

I've sent this link to the customer if he'd like to respond. I suspect that with the idea of keeping it "stock like" the added cost and 10-12% power increase were not worth losing the factory engine cover.

I've sent this link to the customer if he'd like to respond. I suspect that with the idea of keeping it "stock like" the added cost and 10-12% power increase were not worth losing the factory engine cover.

+1 :smile:

There comes a point with the NSX where more power does not = more fun. If you can't get the traction, then what's the point? I have been in FI NSXs where 1st and 2nd gear were practically worthless. It didn't seem like a fun car. To ME, a ~400rwhp NSX on the track would seem like more fun than a 500 or 600rwhp NSX. I said fun, not faster. :)
A stock 997 GT3 dynos at 360 rwhp & 270 # tq. So I would be very, very happy with about the same in my 3.2L NSX. :)

Personally, I would probably go the same route. I want to keep my targa cover. If I had a coupe, then the i/c might be more tempting.

Last edited:
.... To ME, a ~400rwhp NSX on the track would seem like more fun than a 500 or 600rwhp NSX. I said fun, not faster. :)
A stock 997 GT3 dynos at 360 rwhp & 270 # tq. So I would be very, very happy with about the same in my 3.2L NSX. :)....

+1. Actually I think up to 450rwhp is reasonable for the NSX with the widest and stickiest rear tires would be more ideal.

what suspension Chris?

Love it! Really like the stock look and the keeping the factory exterior components OE as much as possible. The front and rear stoptechs look great.

Seeing this car and Dan's ITBs are really making me miss my car. Shawney cry.

Chris,

I was wonedring the same exact thing!

Can you separate the costs on the different upgardes when you respond

I really dig those brakes!

Great work... Hey Chris, what kind of damage are we talking about for a setup like this to our wallet?

Beautiful clean 91. Kudos to a wise owner.

Did the customer opt for the AEM EMS or was that dyno pull done with the AEM FIC?

+1 :smile:

There comes a point with the NSX where more power does not = more fun. If you can't get the traction, then what's the point? I have been in FI NSXs where 1st and 2nd gear were practically worthless. It didn't seem like a fun car. To ME, a ~400rwhp NSX on the track would seem like more fun than a 500 or 600rwhp NSX. I said fun, not faster. :)
A stock 997 GT3 dynos at 360 rwhp & 270 # tq. So I would be very, very happy with about the same in my 3.2L NSX. :)

Personally, I would probably go the same route. I want to keep my targa cover. If I had a coupe, then the i/c might be more tempting.

Don't talk about the old silver like that Jim..:mad: Kidding...

Love this build.. Clean simple with up to date power standards and braking...

Looks familiar another good looking nice clean factory looking installation! Congrats to another job well done by SOS and to the proud owner :smile:

Absolutely gorgeous!<O:p</O:p
This car is exactly what I want mine to be someday.<O:p</O:p
I have checked this thread just about everyday since it was posted.<O:p</O:p
<O:p</O:p
Congratulations to new the owner. I would like to hear his impressions of the car once he received it back.<O:p</O:p

Conroe, tx?

Hmmmm. I can only think of one red nsx in Conroe. I'm going to give him a call but I'm pretty sure it's not him.

Car looks great

Back