• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

A few small problems...

My interior light dosn't work, I took out the whole switch assembly and put a test light on the prongs, and bypassed the resistor, and it came on dimly. Dose this mean that the resistor is bad?

My backup light's don't work. I am not sure if these are fused individually or if something else is causing this problem?

I have a door hinge that cracks really loud (sounds like #$%) so the other day tried to take the door panel off. I took all the screws our around the outside perimater, but could not figure out how to get it off. Didn't want to break it, so put it back to together. If you could help me out with a name of a really in depth book with diagrams etc of this car you would make my day.

Last but not least. I was running around 6000 rpms the other day, (spankin a bmw) and when I stopped at the filling station a tone of smoke began billowing out of the upper engine vent (sadly people were looking because of the smoke and not the car) I took the car into the shop and put it up on the lift, I noticed the pan bolts were a bit loose, tightened them, but this really bad smoke problem came after I had done this, so I am thinking it's coming from somewhere up highter, any thoughts? It seems to only happen if some punk in a BMW tries to race me and I step on it a bit, usually the higher rpms...

I would like to thank you for all your helpful input, I know this is a long thread, but need some serious help.

Sergeant Judd United States Marine Corps San Diego...

Re: the smoke ( assuming it's from an oil leak), it could be coming from a leaky Vtec solenoid, pan gasket, or cam plug/seal. I had that symptom, with smoke arising from the driver side of the engine compartment and it turned out to be the rear Vtec solenoid. The location of it allows for oil to drip straight down onto an exhaust pipe.

Re: the creaky door, it could be that the hinges need lubrication, as one possibility.

I can't help you with the electrical Q's. I'm sure that another Primer will have some advice for you on those issues. Best of luck!

Re: the smoke ( assuming it's from an oil leak), it could be coming from a leaky Vtec solenoid, pan gasket, or cam plug/seal. I had that symptom, with smoke arising from the driver side of the engine compartment and it turned out to be the rear Vtec solenoid. The location of it allows for oil to drip straight down onto an exhaust pipe.

Re: the creaky door, it could be that the hinges need lubrication, as one possibility.

I can't help you with the electrical Q's. I'm sure that another Primer will have some advice for you on those issues. Best of luck!

Thanks for your input, yes the oil is dripping on the exhaust and creats an oil odor and smoke. I will look into the posibility's you mentioned...

My interior light dosn't work, I took out the whole switch assembly and put a test light on the prongs, and bypassed the resistor, and it came on dimly. Dose this mean that the resistor is bad?
No resistors in the dome light, those are diodes. Those are only there to isolate each light from the other when the individual (push-button) map-light switches are selected.
The fuse (#34) that supplies the dome light also powers the door courtesy lights, trunk light, driver's footwell light, ignition key light & also the power antenna motor - so if those are all fucntioning there should be no problem with the power side.
Rather than measuring across the prongs, check the voltage from the prongs that are connected to each other & NOT connected to the diode on each light contact with one probe & the other probe to true ground (the ceiling screw mount) instead of the other prong. Note that there is a ground terminal wire from the light assemebly that needs to connect to the screw mounting point to give the ground signal when it is all connected back in. When you remove the light assembly from the ceiling & that wire is not making contact to the screw hole, then the light will absolutely not work.
If you have the ground wire attached to the ceiling mount, the three positions should be 'off', 'on with door open' & 'on' respectively. The two individual switches will operate each light individually even when the switch is in the off position.
But MUST have that ground wire connected to validate!

My backup light's don't work. I am not sure if these are fused individually or if something else is causing this problem?

The back-up lights work off a switch that is mounted on the transmission. The fuse is #5 but supplies some other key features that you would likely notice. Likeliest candidates are bulbs themsleves or the switch on the transmission case. The switch transfers power, so measure for voltage at the light socket with gear selected in reverse.
Remember that any circuit needs both power & ground so always check the volts with respect to true ground, rather than the wire that is supposedly supplying the ground - it can just as easily be the ground that's missing as opposed to the + side.

You didn't forget the eight screws at the centre of the panel ? They are located behind the small triangular centre piece behind the door handle. This you have to pry out gently using a towel maybe for protection not to damage it and gently pull in the direction of the back of the car. You can find threads about this right here in the forum or look in the manual (page 20-6) you can download on prime.
If all these are loose gently pull the door panel towards you at the bottom and up to lift it from the upper chrome rail. Don't forget you have to unlock the switches at the back of the panel ...

Last edited:
....so the other day tried to take the door panel off. I took all the screws our around the outside perimater, but could not figure out how to get it off. ...

Here you go (thumbnails are clickable to large pics)

Once the door handle & all perimiter screws are removed, pull the panel out at the base & insert your fingers behind the panel high up on the rear top corner; then pull out & up simultaneously from the rear of the panel & effectively rotate the panel around the front top corner point. Be careful as you free the panel, there are connections with short harnesses that need to be unclipped (particularly on the drivers door - the security light and the illumination light) - these (along with main door harness connector) need to be unclipped once you can access them before the panel can be completely removed.

RE Door: It could be a pin in one part of the door that attaches to the car.

theres a pic. $5 headache.... Let me know...

Attachments

• Auto%20Focus%20Door.jpg
    Auto%20Focus%20Door.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 92
RE Door: It could be a pin in one part of the door that attaches to the car.

theres a pic. $5 headache.... Let me know...

Yes, it is that part of the door, I guess you could call it the door catch, keeps the door from slamming open and shut. I bought a new one, but was wondering if you had the same problem and if it was a total replace? And it looks like a real pain switching it...

Here you go (thumbnails are clickable to large pics)

Once the door handle & all perimiter screws are removed, pull the panel out at the base & insert your fingers behind the panel high up on the rear top corner; then pull out & up simultaneously from the rear of the panel & effectively rotate the panel around the front top corner point. Be careful as you free the panel, there are connections with short harnesses that need to be unclipped (particularly on the drivers door - the security light and the illumination light) - these (along with main door harness connector) need to be unclipped once you can access them before the panel can be completely removed.

You know what, you all were very helpful, I really appreciate your help. Now I have a few things to work on this weekend, keep me out of trouble...

Didn't have the same problem, but a friend and I were in a Porsche and it was making that brutal noise, we checked it out and it was that door pin...call the dealer, thats what I was told...

Juddly, wore you able to fix the smoke problem you had? I had similar thing and I did replace my vtech seals and it did not help and just want to know what else besides the cam plugs can it be?

Thanks,

Back