97 rims or 02 rims ?

Which rim option do you prefer on my car?

• Total voters
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the offer, but I am going to have to pass. I am being christened a godfather in Italy and leaving the next day. Seeing as how the first thing I am doing when I get back is driving to Xpo... I better spend some time with the fiancee or she'll kill me!

What are the plans for an Xpo caravan?

Mark

Hey Mike,
If I were you, I would keep the mirrors and rear spoilers the way they are now just like the original TypeR.
There is nothing wrong with the way it looks and I certainly do not think the black mirrors and CF spoiler belong to your car. To add these to a first generation TypeR would transform a very clean looking TypeR to a 02+ R wannabe. Many people like the black mirrors and CF spoilers because those are what the new R has as OEM but I don't think there are necessarily better looking. IMO, if you start out with an original headlighted car, you should keep the color scheme consistent with the old Type R. By all means, if your car is an 02+, then the black mirrors and CF spoiler would be very nice. I just don't think the extra effort and money to put those new Type R's mirrors and spoiler would look better than your current set up. As far as the 02+ wheels, I again don't think they look any better than the 94+ wheels. I would much prefer the rear to be 18" to conserve that staggered look. That set of 02+ white on your car look out of balance. The front has the illusion of looking bigger than the rear. I think you have started with a very done car. All you need to make it to look mighty nice is a set of white 16/17 with spacers front and back or a set of painted white GC07s.
Steve

+1 More guys with the flip ups could add some diversity to the community by doing NA1 NSX-Rs or maybe even Some Type S or Type S 0's. Conversions would be easier and still look great.

Car is already lowered by 1/2" from stock. It is on Zanardi/Koni Yellow.

I agree with you on the wheel gap , but since I like the suspension then I am not sure what to do about it other than go to a bigger wheel. Bigger wheel is generally heavier - and I am more about performance than looks.

A couple more pics if it helps anyone visualize.

Sorry to say but those gaps are awefull.

bigger wheels is not the answer to your wheel gaps. You can dump 20's in there and you will still have that gap.

Drop your car + spacers and Im confident you will be happy with either wheels. :smile:

16/17 for performance.

You guys are going to wind up making me change my suspension too, eh?

I thought it was the rims, so I started considering going back to 16/17s. First white 94s and then thinking about Japanese type S rims like on Miled's car.

attachment.php

Now that I flip through all the images, the ones that look good to me are lowered. I'll check into it. I want to keep a similar ride to what I have with Zanardi/Koni. What do you think - how far do I need to go down?

Replace the Zanardi Springs with Dali lowering springs
Replace the Konis with Bilsteins
Replace the Zanardis with GC coilovers over the Konis

Why not just swap out the springs for some Eibachs? I have Koni's with Eibachs on mine..

That looks really good. Can you keep a stock alignment?

You guys are going to wind up making me change my suspension too, eh?

I thought it was the rims, so I started considering going back to 16/17s. First white 94s and then thinking about Japanese type S rims like on Miled's car.

I really like the Type S rims as well and would consider getting them. Are they difficult to obtain? I would assume a set may cost more than aftermarket rims (the darker Zanardis are $4500+) so that's tough to swallow...

The only way I know to get them is buy a set of Zanardis and refinish them, or import a set from Japan. I would be glad to do that, but have no idea how.

OKSHON.com is my best bet, but feedback from there has been a little... muddled.

The only way I know to get them is buy a set of Zanardis and refinish them, or import a set from Japan. I would be glad to do that, but have no idea how.

OKSHON.com is my best bet, but feedback from there has been a little... muddled.

It really has me thinking now!

366-1_000482-1.jpg

As an update, I got the logos on the center caps today. That and just by looking at them over the course of the past couple weeks I am starting to warm up to them. Maybe I am just set in my ways after seeing the old set for 5 years. Incidentally, if you have any extra space in your garage, an extra couple sets of rims is a great way to get rid of that.

As an update, I got the logos on the center caps today. That and just by looking at them over the course of the past couple weeks I am starting to warm up to them. Maybe I am just set in my ways after seeing the old set for 5 years. Incidentally, if you have any extra space in your garage, an extra couple sets of rims is a great way to get rid of that.

Thanks for the picture!! I finally got a set of +02 wheels too but i haven't had a chance to refinish it in CW yet. By seeing your photos i can imagine how it would look on my X!! I am warming up for it!! Thanks!!

Incidentally, if you have any extra space in your garage, an extra couple sets of rims is a great way to get rid of that.

Haha, I only have 1 extra set now :wink: .

btw.... Don't let these guys talk you in to changing springs if you don't want to. They won't be happy until your tires are rubbing when you turn and the front lip is scraping every other lot you turn in to. Everyone doesn't live in Cali.

Last edited:
Still thinking about this, and decided I need a third option to get the fencepole out of my rear. I also got the center caps update on the 02s so I thought I would post pics again.

OEM97, these now have H center caps
7537DSCN1956m.JPG

02+ white
IMG_0669z.jpg

Photoshopped type-S rims (not my car):
typesrims_pshop_r.jpg

As a sidebar, assuming (hi honey) I got a set of the type S rims on the way what color would you finish them?

I am probably going to keep 2 of the 3 sets, and am leaning towards getting rid of the white ones. Something about the 17/17 just doesn't seem to work well with my car, despite the fact that they are easily the best looking rims off the car. It is almost like everything about the 02+ is a little more rounded/contoured/flowing, and the newer rims look out of place in the leaner/sharper early body lines.

Last edited:
on a pre 02 nsx, the stock 97 wheels look better IMO. The nose on the pop up headlight NSX points in at the bottom making the front wheels on the 02 look too big and doesn't belong on the car. the 02 + wheels only looks right on a 02 + body style. The nose on the stock bumper is too small, so until we get that aftermarket bumper that molds the lower half of the 02 bumper onto pre 02 style upper portion, I say powder coating the 97 white FTW.

can we please stop shoving the "lowering issue" down each others' throats? not everyone drives on glass roads. lets see- f-up front spoilers, scraped exhausts, dented oil pans, messed up handling- gee, what an option. then again, if you really must have a 20in wheel on the nsx i think you are really missing the point. get a cadillac. flame on, :cool:

Still thinking about this, and decided I need a third option to get the fencepole out of my rear.

Fencepole is out. I am ready for the warm weather and don't even care if half my summer will be spent with a toothbrush and simple green.

IMG_07721.JPG

Last edited:
can we please stop shoving the "lowering issue" down each others' throats? not everyone drives on glass roads. lets see- f-up front spoilers, scraped exhausts, dented oil pans, messed up handling- gee, what an option. then again, if you really must have a 20in wheel on the nsx i think you are really missing the point. get a cadillac. flame on, :cool:

ROFL!!! :biggrin: Though I have to be honest I would probably lower mine if it werent for all the speedbumps around my home. I scrape the front lip now and then as it is. Maybe when I move to one of those glass road neighborhoods. :wink: :tongue: :biggrin:

PS I like the look so I got 17's all the way around similar to the 02 spec. Except I got TE-37's.

Mark,

Why not just keep them all, Your an NSX owner for life:biggrin: I love to switch up my rims every now and again, I seem to fall in love with my NSX all over again. FWIW, I love the 02+ rims in white on your car. Where those on at NSXPO? I have a nice pic somewhere of our cars parked next to each other at the hotel. Gotta find it somewhere:wink:

Thanks guys!

I am liking them too. Snow is all melted here, so I finally got a chance to drive around on them a bit. Maybe totally placebo, but they FEEL different than the stock 7 spokers. They're a couple lbs lighter a wheel I think - didn't think it would make any difference in the way they drove.

Life is good so far!

Looks great!

Did you find a set? or re-finish a set of Zanardi's?

Agree, they are super light!

They might be the lightest out there in 16/17.

Try a set of Eibach's.......... Dont be a-scared.......

Got a set from Yahoo Japan. The lowering definitely looks good. Better than mine (I am on Koni/Zanardi) but I don't want to go any softer on the suspension. I feel like it is just the right compromise of street and track as it is. If I went softer and lower I would be afraid of compromising performance. Crappy pic, but check out the body roll:

(click for bigger)

Back