• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

91 won't turn over

I've been doing a 20 year overhaul on my 91.
Coolant, hoses, taillight gaskets, removal of the OEM remote that never worked properly etc, etc.

I parked the car after returning from NSXPO 2010 and now it won't turn over.
The battery is fine.
I am stumped.

Has anyone encountered an unusual interlock system that would cause this?

Thanks
Jim

Check the little rubber thingy in your clutch pedal that falls apart over time and will prevent your starter from engaging. It presses on a switch that allows the starter to engage.

As a temp. fix you can jump the connector for that switch until you can get a replacement. The new ones are hard white plastic instead of rubber.

also consider the main relay might be going bad on you.
It is behind the trim panel behind the driver seat. I've heard you can tap on it with a tool and 'convince' it to work again temporarily but you can also take it apart and resolder the contacts for a more permanent fix.

Ignition switch is also a known problem on these cars. Easy DIY to take apart, clean contacts and reassemble.
Good luck!

Aha

EdinKali - I bought two new white plastic things to replace the rubber clutch bumpers that fall apart. Mine are still solid so I didn't replace them but I may have distrubed something so I'll check again.

4A4ULIFE - I took the panel covering that relay off to install a JDM map bag. Perhaps I loosened something in there. I'll check that too.

pgwilliam1 - the ignition is good. I cleaned it up when I took the dash off to fix the turn signal controls and replace some of those mini bulbs.

Many thanks for the input

Jim

When you say the car will not turn over, do you mean the engine will crank but will not start or do you mean the starter will not crank?

If the starter will not crank, it is probably the solenoid wire on the starter, plug it back in.

Wil

When I turn the key I only get the sound of a relay clicking behind the dash. I'll check the starter wiring.
Thanks
Jim

When you say the car will not turn over, do you mean the engine will crank but will not start or do you mean the starter will not crank?

If the starter will not crank, it is probably the solenoid wire on the starter, plug it back in.

Clean your battery terminals if you haven't done so already. You can have a good battery but if the terminals have lead oxide built up on them you won't get enough juice to turn over the motor.

Clean your battery terminals if you haven't done so already. You can have a good battery but if the terminals have lead oxide built up on them you won't get enough juice to turn over the motor.

I cleaned up the battery terminals - no turn over
I boosted the car from the rear fuse station - no turn over

The dash lights up, all the guages work, but I only get a clicking of a relay when I turn the key.

As part of my overhaul I did my window regulators with Hugo's kit and I also removed my oem remote system which was giving me false alarms.

Is it possible I've left something unplugged that is telling the car's computer that it's stolen and should be disabled?

Jim

If it started before with that stuff out, I kinda doubt that is it but wouldn't rule it out.

Did you check the connections on the starter as another member suggested? The solenoid connection is a common problem on NSX's.

Tony

The battery is testing fine as I mentioned at first and it's on a battery tender all the time.
I'll try a boost just in case it has failed.

Jim

Too bad it wasn't as simple as a dead battery. The tenders are OK but I take mine off after a couple of days and the battery is charged. Left one on for a month because the battery was completely dead and 3 years later the 6 year old battery is still good until it isn't. A fellow Canuck spent a week trying to get his NSX to start and he was sure it wasn't the battery. It was the battery. Look in the Canucks section as he had advice on the immobilizer and other systems given to him. Sometimes a boost will not be enough to start the car if the main battery is dead.

Last edited:
I think there is couple thing you can check,
- battery
- ignition switch (you can try shake the key)
- starting relay
- starter

If you are about the battery,might be you cantry jump start it at the starter. That way you can be sure it isn't the starter or the battery.

Reviving an old thread. My 91' wont crank over now also. I drove it yesterday and everything was fine. This am it didnt crank over. I checked the little plastic thingy I have the white ones already from this happening once before due to that being the problem, battery is perfect, ignition switch was cleaned out and overhauled a few months ago. Battery terminal is good also. Any suggestions?

I figured it out. The Clutch has 2 neutral safety switches on the pedal. I had changed out the plastic plug that goes bad nutorious on the brake pedal and clutch at the same time a long time ago. Then after trying all the different popular failures due to this problem and coming up with nothing, I was going to order a new safety switch when I noticed on the schematics of parts that there were two shown. Sure enough the top one which is a real PITA to get to was broken. I couldnt reach it so I just took it off and taped the switch as if it were depressed always. Now she starts with no issues.

Back