91 lower mileage vs. 98 higher mileage

Which one would you buy? (consider similar price range)

• 91 with lower mileage NSX (~30K miles)

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • 98 with higher mileage NSX (~70K miles)

Votes: 45 68.2%

• Total voters
Hi folks,

If you were to buy a NSX, what would be your preference if the price are similar between these 2 choices:

91 lower mileage car (say around 30K miles)

or

98 higher mileage car (say around 70K miles)

Your opinion and rationale please!

My choice would be 91 with lower milage. Make sure snap ring problem has been fixed. If you are looking for slightly more power go with the 98'.

I would go with the '91 NSX with lower mileage. The cars look identical really (except for small things like the wheels and perforated leather), and I do not think the small gains in horsepower for the '98 NSX would justify the extra 40,000 miles. You can easily add a few bolt on parts and make up the power difference, but nothing can take mileage off of a car.

The big variable is what you intend to do with the car. Are you going to drive it and keep it for a long time, or turn it after a year and get a new toy?

I'd go for earlier car assuming its been very well maintained, is all stock and has the ownership and maintanance history.

Interesting. I wonder if mileage were the same wonder the choice be any different? Seems like people may be still leaning towards the earlier 91-93 years vs later years.

price difference? maintence history? conditions? those are important than milage in my opinon. My car is imaculent, drive it all the time, maintence by the book, and im not worrying about milage!

My vote is definitely the 98' later model... definitely rather have the 3.2 and 6 speed. These cars are designed to run forever if maintained well, so I dont think the mileage is that much of an issue with only 40k or so difference.

The NA2s have so many little improvements it's hard to ignore. So as long as it was in good conditions, i'd take the high miler 98.

Hi folks,

If you were to buy a NSX, what would be your preference if the price are similar between these 2 choices:

91 lower mileage car (say around 30K miles)

or

98 higher mileage car (say around 70K miles)

Your opinion and rationale please!

Do you like power steering? I don't think its necessary on an car that has no wieght upfront. Advantage of newer car is obvious 6 speed more sensors easier to diagnose, sight performance gains. I would say go with the car that has had the maintance and care given. You also need to take depreciation into consideration, after the car has some miles on it expect to lose some. I think 91's have the least depreciation since they are under 35k.

Life is to short enjoy what ever you buy.

Condition before mileage.

If these were my only two choices, I'd pick the one w/ the best condition and most up to date maintenance. If they are the same condition, same maintenance level AND same price, I'd go w/ the '98. That way you won't have to update the header, get short gears or update the wheels right away like you would (probably would end up doing) w/ the '91.

My guess, though, is that the '91, having the lower mileage will likely be in better condition than the '98 w/ higher mileage. Seat bolster wear, rock chips, curb marks on wheels, small scratches, etc. Look for those types of things.

Honda + more miles = doesn't matter if it has been maintained properly. The difference in mileage in your examples is not enough to matter in my opinion. That leaves only the differences between a '91 and '98 as determining factors. The T and 6MT make it a no brainer for me.

+1 Go for the 6 speed with NA2.

Before I read this thread, I was thinking of going from a 98 with 30K miles to a 91 with less than 100K miles (reason: free up cash for newborn).

After reading the latest posts, it's getting harder to make the switch. But in the end, the only important thing is that I keep an NSX in the garage.:rolleyes:

I would suggest the 98, Just check the FAQ for changes and read about all the Improvements that were made for the 97+ Car. The NSX was basically re engineered from the 91 model.

I would go as far as saying a 93-94 is much better than a 91...all the first year issues were resolved, if you want a coupe.

Bram

The 6 speed and Targa are, by far, not the only improvements between NA1 and NA2. Lots of little "stupid" refinements. Given that neither is high mileage, and that the 91 with so few miles will have had a *lot* of engine-oil-dry starts, it's a no brainer. 98 if the condition is just as good.

I would think about what your ultimate desire is.
If you plan to mod your car ( turbo or SC) and/or track your car, I would get the 91. If you just want a weekend driver, I would consider the 98. The 91 is easier to mod with respect to FI. The 5 speed tranny is also considered to accept additional HP and TQ better than the six. You can also always upgrade the 91 with a six speed anytime, if you buy a 91 and dont need the additional power that FI provides. The 91 is also going to be stiffer than the 98 and that could result in better handling. It is also lighter in weight. Both of these things are important if you ever decide to track your car.

Good luck,

Nate in DC

IMO..i will pick 98. A lot of upgraded: 6 speed tranny(will be expensive if you want to upgrade from 5 speed), 3.2L motor, larger brakes, drive by wire throttle and better material for cylinder wall which is more reliabled. Also the main reason for me..close to 2000 NSX sold in 91 but only around 300 NSX sold in 98. It will become more rare later on so i don't think 40k miles is that important for me. Just my 02 cent..........:rolleyes:

well, considering i own a 92 with relatively low miles, I would have to say I would like to try a 98 MY at this point.
I'm thinking have the removable top, bigger engine, 6sp and p/s might be a nice change of pace.

Personally I'd rather have a high milage 91 with a great maintenance history. The money saved could go a long way. 6-speed swap, suspension, fresh bushings, etc...

I guess I will have to put in my $.02, I have owned a '91 and now I have a '97. These 2 cars may look alike but they are very different. Most of the time ppl will tell you to buy the newest car, but it depends what your buying it for.
PRICE: '98
You didn't say the sale price of the cars but only that they are very similar priced. That being said I have to assume that the price is probably high $30K or Low $40K, either way I see it as cheap '98 or expensive '91. I would just buy both and in a couple of years when the economy gets better sell the one you don't want and you might just make money.:biggrin:

DEPRECIATION: '91
If you are planning to keep it as a garage queen, and are thinking about selling it at Barrett's in the next 10-20 years, I would think that you could fetch more money for the '91 with less milage, but also IMO you won't loose much either way b/c I believe nsx will appreciate, especially since Honda is not comming out with a NSX replacement but more of a GT car that will compete with Porshe panamera, GTR, Lexus LFA etc.

DRIVEABILITY: '98
I really like the NA2 compared to my previous NA1. For example things like PS, I really didn't care for it at first but now with it I don't know how I could live without it, turning the wheel at dead stop is so so easy, plus when you get up to speed it becomes like the na1 steering, very responsive.
3.2L engine is nice, but 6-speed is nicer. I feel like I'm in the power band all the time. No more "lag" in 2nd gear.

T vs Coupe: '91
I personally don't care for T top. Less rigid, more likely to leak. now if I could of found a NA2 Coupe that would be dream!:smile:
Although if you like open top it may be for you.

Modification: '91
I think OB1 is easier to work on than OB2, so if you plan to SC or Turbo the car, I would think why spend the extra $$ for a NA2. That said I hope to SC my car.:biggrin:
On the flip side if you ever want to convert the car to '02 look (I've noticed more and more ppl doing), the '98 would already have the 6-speed and 3.2L. So all you would need is front and rear cosmetic body parts.

Last edited:
Honda + more miles = doesn't matter if it has been maintained properly.
+1; sorry to bump an old thread.

I'd buy the '98 for the additional features and 6MT. I've got 303k on my Legend; miles don't scare me like they scare most people.

Side note, kriderrx... I've got to see pics of that <20k mile 1985 Prelude! I'm a Lude enthusiast when I'm not hanging with the Acura crowd. Recently picked up my fourth 3rd Gen: a '91 Si 4WS 5MT. Fun car.

Back