91-94 Steering

Having the car a couple months now and putting in about 5000 miles on it, I'm starting to feel the extremely heavy steering is maybe not normal? My 91 MR2 had no power steering either and granted they are a bit lighter I don't think it would attribute to all the extra effort to turn when at a stop... maybe it does?

This is the only NSX I have driven so I have nothing to compare it to apples to apples.

Appreciate the feedback in advance!

Greg

- I need to check tire pressures and see if they are within spec, I got new tires on them a week after I picked it up and the steering feel is still about the same so I don't think that's the issue but doesn't take long to check.

Agree with @drew. The long steering ratio and lack of power steering make the wheel feel heavy when slow. The smaller your front wheels, the easier on your arms. Going from a modern 17 or 18 rim to the fat fives transforms the car!

Heavy when slow...magical in the canyon. It's a tradeoff I'll make all day long. Weight reduction makes it a bit easier. I figure I've taken over 100 lbs. out of the front of the car and it really does make a difference IMO.

Just wanted to follow up with everyone. Fronts were at 27 and rears about the same. Aired the fronts to 33 and rear to 37 and man what a difference.

I was curious because I had to do a u-turn in a narrow road and it was rough.

Night and day difference with them aired at 33. Moral of the story check your pressures weekly. Get kinda spoiled on newer cars with tpms sensors haha

Just wanted to follow up with everyone. Fronts were at 27 and rears about the same. Aired the fronts to 33 and rear to 37 and man what a difference.

I was curious because I had to do a u-turn in a narrow road and it was rough.

Night and day difference with them aired at 33. Moral of the story check your pressures weekly. Get kinda spoiled on newer cars with tpms sensors haha
Quick tip- only use the OEM air pressure split if you are running the special OEM tries for the car. This was done to increase the "liveliness", e.g, oversteer, potential of the car based on the compound and tread bias of the factory tires. All other performance tires should be around 35 psi on all four corners. I run 36 all around.

Quick tip- only use the OEM air pressure split if you are running the special OEM tries for the car. This was done to increase the "liveliness", e.g, oversteer, potential of the car based on the compound and tread bias of the factory tires. All other performance tires should be around 35 psi on all four corners. I run 36 all around.
Good to know!

I forgot who was asking for the OEM wheel pressures and I just went with what people answered there. I'll set them all to 36 all around on my evening errands.

Thanks honcho

Back